Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

HID Xenon Upgrade

Views : 3758

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 14th, 2009, 03:41   #21
adamsky01
back for now

i have a 2001 v40 and i have both h7 runing hid high and low i take my car to the same mot staion each year and he always says that he cant believe how perfect the beam paten is so umm all those who say abought beam paten what u on abought lol

just fit them
adamsky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 12:59   #22
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinno View Post
I have a 54 plate V50 2.0d and have driven the same route to work a number of times with an 54plate Octavia Estate. The Skodas lights were far superior and lit up far more of the road ahead. Where I had to use full beam on the Volvo, I did not have to on the Octavia, indeed i could not as the road was a single carriage way with long straights so full beam would have dazzled oncoming traffic.
The problem was the dipped beam on on the offside of our Volvo lit up only a few metres in front. I mentioned this when it went in for a service and the beam was adjusted upwards slightly, throwing the beam much further up the road which has made the world of difference without dazzling the on coming traffic.
Before you change marque I would suggest that you 'tweak' the beams so that their throw is much further ahead of the car. Worth a try?
I have tried that already. It does improve matters from the factory settings but the lights are still too poor. I went down the brighter lights route but they blew inside 3 months as they are not designed for DLR's. I wont do the HID's as I don't intend to gamble with my insurance cover. If I thought my bulbs were at fault I would change them again but there are too many people complaining about them for that.
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 10:21   #23
b1nuzz

As an update for anyone that wants to install HID's I fitted mine yesterday.

The kit was easy to fit, its great that the headlamps just pop out of the car.

Inside the headlamp;

Yellow = Red (positive)
Brown = Black (negative)

NOTE: MY2006 2.0D V50 which is what mine is, needs to have HID decoders fitted before the ballast to stop the headlamp warning coming on.
I originally fitted without the decoders, which meant that the HIDs couldn't strike when the engine was running.
With the decoders fitted no problems at all.

Job done. Highly recommend it if the previous posts don't make you panic too much.

Ben
b1nuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 10:24   #24
Kizzer
VOC Member

Get up some pics

What kit did you buy? Virtual Daylight?
Kizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 11:07   #25
TB1

Any cutting oif wires needed or is it just plug and play?
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 11:20   #26
Kizzer
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1nuzz View Post
As an update for anyone that wants to install HID's I fitted mine yesterday.

The kit was easy to fit, its great that the headlamps just pop out of the car.

Inside the headlamp;

Yellow = Red (positive)
Brown = Black (negative)

NOTE: MY2006 2.0D V50 which is what mine is, needs to have HID decoders fitted before the ballast to stop the headlamp warning coming on.
I originally fitted without the decoders, which meant that the HIDs couldn't strike when the engine was running.
With the decoders fitted no problems at all.

Job done. Highly recommend it if the previous posts don't make you panic too much.

Ben
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB1 View Post
See above in Bold
Kizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 12:43   #27
b1nuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB1 View Post
There isn't a need to cut any wires.
All of it just plugs up. You need to make sure you plug it in the right way, otherwise you will blow up the decoder.

This is the kit I bought;
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_6000wt_939

and i cant fault it. Its 6000k which is great. I love the light output.
The only permanent change you have to do, is cutting a 25mm circular hole in the cover on the back of the headlight unit. This is to allow the new cables i and out but its fully protected from the elements.

Ill try and get some pics up soon.
b1nuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 13:36   #28
matt182
VOC Member

does anyone know if the self leveling can be retrofit? obviously the sensors will have to be installed with the loom etc but is it just a software download and calibration to get them functioning?
matt182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 16:42   #29
Project239X
The Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1nuzz View Post
There isn't a need to cut any wires.
All of it just plugs up. You need to make sure you plug it in the right way, otherwise you will blow up the decoder.

This is the kit I bought;
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_6000wt_939

and i cant fault it. Its 6000k which is great. I love the light output.
The only permanent change you have to do, is cutting a 25mm circular hole in the cover on the back of the headlight unit. This is to allow the new cables i and out but its fully protected from the elements.

Ill try and get some pics up soon.

Obviously this was a long time ago so the item is removed from ebay. Would you look on there and see if you can still find a set the same as yours and let me have the item number please?

Presumably 2 years on it still works fine....no fault codes etc?

Regards
Steve
Project239X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 19:58   #30
mike norman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
Read this thread regarding a HID refit.
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=81476

The gist is you can't do it unless you perform some serious other surgery.

I strongly agree on the lights issue, a shocking mistake by Volvo. Does the C30 suffer in the same way? Scandalous if it does as that is a new car. I change my car in 8 months, possibly hello S60, and after having such a bad experience the lights will be a factor in what I choose next. If the problem still exists then it will be goodbye Volvo.
Harvey I have just bought a 2010 C30 r design 2.0 des Geartronic the lights are fine
mike norman is offline   Reply With Quote