Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 2.0d poor running

Views : 4665

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 14th, 2006, 21:32   #21
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

???????
WOT handbrake recall??
I have a 2.0D 2005 and a bit S40... What's this about a handbrake recall, I have heard nothing from Ovlov?
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 08:51   #22
7050man
Master Member

ditto. What handbrake recall.?
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 19:05   #23
bircham

We received a letter from Volvo local dealer re. an 'active service action'

I quote:

"Volvo quality procedures have identified that on a small number of S40 and V50 models the parking brake has not been properly engaged whilst the car is parked, resulting in the car being able to roll away."

It goes on to say:

"Volvo car corporation have decided that potentially affected vehicles should have an adjustment to the parking brake mechanism. It has also been decided to update the Owner's manual including the provision of a supplementary instruction booklet."

And the final sentence:

"...(arrange) to have this important rectification completed as quickly as possible."

My wife's car was registered 01/09/05 and is a V50.

Hope this helps,

Jonathan
bircham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 19:32   #24
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Got my recall letter Saturday morning!
Never had any problems or worries about the handbrake on mine. Mind you there's not that many hills to park on in Norfolk!!

My S40 diesel has almost no vibration at idle, cold or hot, and I am now, after fitting a diesel tuning box, averaging a fraction under 50 mpg, with the computer showing an average reading of 54.5 mpg.
On a long, motorway run in good conditions, I can get a REAL fuel consumption of about 52 to 53mpg, computer reading 57mpg. Tha's not dawdling on motorways either!
At any sort of road speed the engine is very smooth indeed.

BTW my wife's Ford Focus C-max went through a period of bad starting, and horrid vibrations (its exactly the same engine) local Ford dealer downloaded new software to the ecu. problem solved.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:06   #25
7050man
Master Member

I'll await my letter then. My car has this problem. I've never had the car roll away, but when parked on my steep drive after everything has cooled down, then the car can creep if you get into it, along with creaking and groaning as the brakes are struggling to grab.

Normally I just put the brake on an extra notch, but my wife Who's obviously not as strong does have a problem with this.

I think when parked initially, everything is hot and expanded, but as it cools and contracts, then if the brake is not "on" well enough, then it may slip with a slight movement of the car, ie as you get in or load it.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 13:56   #26
Marmoset

Had the work done on mine 2 weeks ago, handbrake does feel a little more positive but the owners manual supplement now recommends that you apply some pressure to the footbrake when engaging the handbrake - sorta gives it a helping hand I guess. I get the feeling this may contribute to some disc warping so I don't do it, just park it in gear as I usually do.

I also had a software update done to the ECU at the same time which seemed to result in a quieter motor with a bit more poke and using less fuel! I haven't got any record of it but my car is a 2004 build (Euro III) so may have just been a refinement of the programme rather than a cure to something specific.
Marmoset is offline   Reply With Quote