Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Remote Key Fob Reprogramming

Views : 36681

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 26th, 2015, 22:50   #11
payam

i have read that post too..in my volvo v40 2003 2.0T one of the key stop functioning..i thought it might be the programing.one key its working but the other key remote does not working but it does start a car.
what could be problem you think?
payam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 23:08   #12
happy diver
Active Member Moment

Combine all the working bits and put the rest in a drawer

UK and all other countries components will be the same.
I'm doing a test with another car when I pick "Beauty" up this week

20,000 leagues under the sea diving to adventure
in a silent world with my ceiling the waves...Emile
happy diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2015, 19:31   #13
gwynethdaly

Bought a S.40 with only one key and fob. tried all the different suggestions i.e. buying another key and fob, doing all that sitting in the car with doors closed, bought more fobs / batteries and the garage in Leeds where I have had my Volvos serviced for over 30 years agreed I was wasting time and money. they said the only sure way is to buy the key and fob from a Main Agent and let them programme it. this I finally did (Just over £200 quid) and it was done within an hour. just wish I had done that in the first place.
I guess in this case its "You get what you pay for"
Good Luck.

Last edited by gwynethdaly; Jan 27th, 2015 at 19:35. Reason: spelling
gwynethdaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2015, 22:16   #14
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynethdaly View Post
Bought a S.40 with only one key and fob. tried all the different suggestions i.e. buying another key and fob, doing all that sitting in the car with doors closed, bought more fobs / batteries and the garage in Leeds where I have had my Volvos serviced for over 30 years agreed I was wasting time and money. they said the only sure way is to buy the key and fob from a Main Agent and let them programme it. this I finally did (Just over £200 quid) and it was done within an hour. just wish I had done that in the first place.
I guess in this case its "You get what you pay for"
Good Luck.
I was in the same boat before Christmas. Bought a new key and fob from Volvo had it programmed, all sorted in an hour with no problems. It is the only way to do it. Only problem it cost £260 but, hey ho.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2016, 20:52   #15
Grumpyoldfart

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopthorneMike View Post
Would be interesting to hear if anyone has actually tried this procedure with an UK S40 / V40 and if it worked or not. I am sure there are quite a few of us with only one remote at the moment but who do not want to pay out £100s to the local Volvo franchise.
Costs $300 bucks to program a new fob here in Darwin Australia, but this system work at all also has anybody actually tried it? I will try it today and hopefully it doesn't stuff the rest of the settings up. Will report if this works or not later
Grumpyoldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2016, 21:21   #16
Darlo 1
Lunatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
Or an even easier and cheaper way. Find a sale for two fobs and the receiver unit from a car that is being broken and replace them in your car. It works a treat and at a fraction of the cost
For pitys sake read what Gatos has said and save yerself a bloody fortune!!!!!!
S60 D5 2004.
I vape therefore I am.
Darlo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Darlo 1 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 09:11   #17
mikepday

Quote:
Originally Posted by rio View Post
Hi every one i got this info from my friends in Europe my be it help to all you

Make sure all doors are closed, as well as the hood. Make sure the tailgate or trunk is locked. Get into the car and lock all doors.

Insert the key and turn it from the insertion position (position I) to the "on" position (position II - not the "start" position) five times. In other words, all the dash lights come on, but the engine doesn’t start. When you turn the key to ON the fifth time, leave it there. You have 10 seconds to perform this whole step.

Hold down each remote button for a second or two, so the car identifies those buttons as the ones to respond to. If you want multiple remotes to work for that car, you’ll need to hit the buttons on each of them in rapid succession (all within 5 seconds) as well. You can program up to three remotes per car.

Get new batteries if the above doesn’t work, and try it again. If you already have new batteries in the remote, then proceed to the next step.

Press and hold down the odometer reset button.

Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position.

Release the odometer button while the service reminder light (SRL) flashes. Don’t wait until the flashing stops to release the odometer button. If you did that, you waited too long.

Turn the ignition off.

Does anyone know if this is specific procedure for the V/S40 series or will it work with my XC70 2004, as well. I used to used a similar procedure to reprogram my Land Rover Discovery 1 key fobs as they used to die on a regular basis.

Ex V70,XC90, XC70
mikepday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 15:39   #18
druid
V40 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepday View Post
Does anyone know if this is specific procedure for the V/S40 series or will it work with my XC70 2004, as well. I used to used a similar procedure to reprogram my Land Rover Discovery 1 key fobs as they used to die on a regular basis.
Does the VODOO on the quoted post work?
If it is correct it needs to be on the top of the how to list!

An MS Warior living one day at a time
"Neville" 207,000 so far. Water use 0 - oil negligible....
druid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2016, 22:11   #19
borland

use search and you will find my old post. keeping it short. had only one fob for my s-reg t4. bought one for £15 from e-bay. volvo at warrington reprogrammed it for £28 (probably without VAT - can't remember). took 20 or 25 minutes. not a bad deal from the main stealer. however it was a while ago. my only second trip to volvo was for FPR but it's a different story. but again - the deal was only £40 more than some for some unknown aftermarket part offered by some local garage.
borland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2016, 22:15   #20
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopthorneMike View Post
Would be interesting to hear if anyone has actually tried this procedure with an UK S40 / V40 and if it worked or not. I am sure there are quite a few of us with only one remote at the moment but who do not want to pay out £100s to the local Volvo franchise.
Thats just for 850 and some 900 models completely different ..