Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Where to upgrade CEM ?

Views : 1465

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 22:02   #11
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthings View Post
Ok thanks for the info , very useful... it's so complicated as all I want is to fit a DPF so my car doesn't stink so bad....
its worse... the car will be un-MOT-able.. it's technically illegal to be on the road, and in theory 'could' mean you are driving around without valid insurance... unlikely you will get pulled up on it, but this is a propper **** situation affecting a lot of second hand car buyers stuck with DPF deleted vehicles.....
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 23:03   #12
Carthings

The thing is I've had the car for 3 years and it's passed 2 mots already, just as I now have a young family I can't have them inside it as the stink is so bad it comes in the car. Definitely no leaks in the exhaust etc.. Only just found out it has no DPF and hopefully that's the issue (don't know if there's a cat in that box too? ) but it's not as simple as just putting a new one in place.
Carthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 23:28   #13
lockstock

Quote:
The thing is I've had the car for 3 years and it's passed 2 mots already, just as I now have a young family I can't have them inside it as the stink is so bad it comes in the car. Definitely no leaks in the exhaust etc.. Only just found out it has no DPF and hopefully that's the issue (don't know if there's a cat in that box too? ) but it's not as simple as just putting a new one in place.
I'm not sure why a hollowed out dpf would cause exhaust smell in the cabin, thats seriously dangerous. your exhaust could be swiss cheese I guess if it's been hacked about and welded. I'm guessing the exhaust leak would need to be near the manifold in engine bay to be pulled into cabin air intake. Hope you get it sorted. seems a nightmare. does switching air recycling on, stop the smell coming in.
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 21:53   #14
Jamz3k

My guess would be that one of the pipes just below the turbo that runs into the DPF is split and that’s whats causing the stink.

I’d have a wee look there before worrying about replacing anything else.
Jamz3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 08:17   #15
Carthings

Thanks. I am pretty sure my mechanic has checked all flexi pipes and the full exhaust system. The problem is that the exhaust that’s coming out the tail pipe is so acrid that it just kinda comes in anyhow. I think!!
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 08:32   #16
lockstock

Quote:
Thanks. I am pretty sure my mechanic has checked all flexi pipes and the full exhaust system. The problem is that the exhaust that’s coming out the tail pipe is so acrid that it just kinda comes in anyhow. I think!!
IMO you should see another mechanic. If they have said that, then it's probably (although I could be wrong) them basically saying, I cant find the leak, and its a ballache to check/sort so I'll shine you on unless you are buying a new exhaust and dpf for me to fit.. Back when cars were on 4 star, or the many pre dpf diesel cars never had this issue unless the exhaust was leaking.

Also, you had the car for years with no DPF and not this issue you now notice... something else has changed, probably a break in the exhause somewhere

just another thought, can you post the details of the car. Just to let Clan confirm your car definitely SHOULD have a DPF. Even some cars as late as 2008 2009 still didnt have a dpf.

Last edited by lockstock; Nov 5th, 2019 at 08:37.
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 09:10   #17
Carthings

I hear what you’re saying but I do trust my mechanic, he’s a good one but yes maybe he’s missed a leak. But would that explain the stench coming out the very end of the tailpipe? It’s always been bad but in the last year has got worse. Mpg still around 60. On diagnostics it has levels for the eloys fluid and DPF pressure etc. I don’t know how the DPF box works maybe there’s a separate CAT in there that is also needing replaced?

Car is 2009 v50 drive 1.6.

I had it to a different independent garage and they couldn’t work it out either and tried to do a force re-gen. couldn’t get it to work and now knowing there’s no actual filter in there that would make sense. But I can’t just get one fitted without sorting the dodgy hack on the ECM first. At least that’s where I’m at with it now! Thanks for the help.