Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Grrrrrrr. Lambda Sensors

Views : 11415

Replies : 123

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 25th, 2011, 21:34   #21
gdphillips
ba baracus...

mate wish i could fix this it seems to just be one of the bad ones in life.....waitng for my mate to let me no what he thinks........watching the thred.....
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 21:46   #22
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

might seem daft this, u said it runs rough and chucks out smoke, when it runs rough r u sure its not a misfire? or even a sticking valve now if thats the case it would be an idea to do a couple of quick oil changes to see if that helps. if its a misfire locate which cylinder it is on and swap with a good coil pack and see if it moves cylinders. if it doesnt move cylinders get a compression test done.

ie go back to basics, start with basics first.

hope this helps

simon
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 21:48   #23
dpbayly

Did you ever check for O2 sensor 1 working properly? The smell coming from the exhaust is over fueling and its the un-burnt fuel hitting the hot cat when its really bad after a run th fuel burning in the cat can make it glow red hot.

causes of over fueling:
1) Air leak on inlet side - metered air is leaking off but its chucking the correct amount of fuel for the air before it loses some so over fuels.

2) Faulty O2 sensor 1 giving false info to the ECU - Reads the mixture flowing through the exhaust and thinks it running lean so ECU chucks more fuel in to correct it.

3)Faulty air flow meter - if this gives the wrong info to the ECU eg. if it reads lots of air when there's not it will put lots of fuel through for all the air when in actual fact its only getting a small amount of air so over fueling.

4) faulty injector - a sticky injector can get stuck open chucking too much through.
dpbayly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 22:11   #24
JamesV70R
Forum Support Team

I'd almost put money on it not being #2, as the problem has repeated itself 3 times, and always comes back shortly after a new sensor is installed. Unless I've managed to get 3 duff sensors in the space of 18 months ..

OBD2007 shows the MAF as reading air flowing through it, going up and down along with throttle movements. Getting some MAF Cleaner tomorrow though to see if that helps at all.

Without paying £70/£80 I cant see if it is injectors or not, and if its not its £80 down the pan.

And we can't see or find any air leaks. Spent 30 mins earlier poking, tweaking, squeezing vacuum hoses with no reactions. boost pipework looks alright.
JamesV70R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 22:26   #25
dpbayly

do you have a boost gauge are you reaching and holding full boost pressure?
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 22:27   #26
JamesV70R
Forum Support Team

Nope, no boost gauge - it was planned for this spring but then all these problems started up ...
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 22:32   #27
dpbayly

Ok does your diagnostic software show boost that would show up any holes (boost leaks) in the inlet side if it did show a boost leak it might even be a partially sized waste gate sticking slight open as you would lose metered air through there.
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 22:53   #28
JamesV70R
Forum Support Team

OBD2007 doesn't seem to, but I am downloading "Touchscan" to see if that is able to.

Edit:

Thats a no. Doesn't look like it. Have wiggled the actuator arm and it seems solid enough, no movement in one direction and a strong spring pushing against you in the other, snapping closed if you let it go.

Last edited by JamesV70R; Jan 25th, 2011 at 23:10.
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 15:12   #29
JamesV70R
Forum Support Team

Right, lunchtime today - running like a dog, backfiring, popping, banging, the works.

Unplugged MAF - no difference - plugged back in again - no difference.

Noticed a VERY strong smell of rotten eggs/sulphur etc, so after killing the engine and walking away for 5 mins, came back and had a poke around the engine. Seems one of the rubber pipes that plugs into the Airbox -> Turbo pipe, right at the base of it, had a big split up it. We did trin half inch off this last night where it had split, but its obviously too far perished now. Did a temp repair with some electrical tape which seems like it should hold for a few days min.

After unplugging the MAF again with the engine running, she idled a little smoother. Revs seemed to free up as I unplugged it with a surge to about 1400 and then dropping to 1000 ish. Drove back to work with MAF unplugged, seemed to run better.

Getting a bottle of MAF Cleaner on the way home, see if its just a dirty MAF.

Had the codes of P1133 (02 sensor) and P1171 (rotor fault - but i believe this translates to MAF in Volvo Codes.
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 15:47   #30
dpbayly

I have rarely had much luck cleaning the MAF but worth a shot,

Older cars often dont have the MAF as one of the sensors connected to the system that would flag a fault and put the light on and on these systems it would normally flag up as a O2 sensor as its the next sensor in the line that would pick up a problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to dpbayly For This Useful Post: