Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 tdi upgrade project

Views : 21373

Replies : 141

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 21st, 2015, 10:16   #21
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

Is yours an auto?
Old Jan 21st, 2015, 19:33   #22
brickman
Premier Member

Manual.

Got other problems too, I'm talking with ron about it, so easy enough to sort. Basically no matter the maf setting with power anything over 50/60% and even very light throttle (less than 7% pedal) you get a serious surge at 1400/1500rpm depending on maf value, which in 4th 5 the is notable but not a problem, 1st 2nd the engine pretty much self drives itself, dicey on ice!
Old Jan 21st, 2015, 20:10   #23
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickman View Post
Manual.

Got other problems too, I'm talking with ron about it, so easy enough to sort. Basically no matter the maf setting with power anything over 50/60% and even very light throttle (less than 7% pedal) you get a serious surge at 1400/1500rpm depending on maf value, which in 4th 5 the is notable but not a problem, 1st 2nd the engine pretty much self drives itself, dicey on ice!
Interesting, at 75 I'm using a whole 1 psi.

I used to get that with my box, I figured it was just receiving the signal to turn on and then increasing the fuel hence the noticeable surge.

Last edited by martin_r_smith; Jan 21st, 2015 at 20:30.
martin_r_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 21:07   #24
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

Little update.

Things were going very well with the new setup, good power with a nice delivery aimed at reducing low down torque (to save the flywheel), but as with all tuning a few issues have come to light!

The biggest issue being the fact I'm lifting the head off the block at high boost pressure (~26psi). This causes a rush of gas into the coolant system and a rapid overflow of the expansion tank due to the high pressure. Under normal driving (low boost) conditions everything is fine, so to begin with I'm going to just replace the standard 10.9 grade head bolts with stronger 12.9 items. They will be torqued down higher than usual too. If It continues to leak then the head gasket may be damaged so I will replace it as it's not a difficult job.

On a plus note as we were using the rolling road at the time we could react immediately so minimal damage has been done, so a simple bolt change and re-torque should be fine.
I did get a some power figures before the lift and things are looking promising!
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 22:33   #25
brickman
Premier Member

The t4 guys and previous folk have mentioned head bolts and rod bolts being an issue with higher states of tune being reached. Hopefully that's all!
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 22:35   #26
klunk

Heads lifting!! Just shows how strong the bottom end on these AEL's are (With uprated Mains bolts!)! I think you've got a great project going there, Ace to read about diesel tuning, Keep it up mate.
The Following User Says Thank You to klunk For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 22:47   #27
B00TS

The good folks over on D24T.com seemed to rate ARP stud kits for keeping the heads snug when running oodles of boost.

A quick gander at the website suggests they come in at ~$145.

1997 V70 2.5TDI 290k - Sent on to pastures new!
B00TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 22:48   #28
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickman View Post
The t4 guys and previous folk have mentioned head bolts and rod bolts being an issue with higher states of tune being reached. Hopefully that's all!
Rod bolts are ok, it's the main bolts that hold the crank in that are the problem. Again they are only 10.9 class as standard but easily changed to 12.9's by removing the sump (hence my shiney sump!) and changing them one at a time.
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 22:52   #29
artiedtke
Just one more thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_r_smith View Post
Little update.

Things were going very well with the new setup, good power with a nice delivery aimed at reducing low down torque (to save the flywheel), but as with all tuning a few issues have come to light!

The biggest issue being the fact I'm lifting the head off the block at high boost pressure (~26psi). This causes a rush of gas into the coolant system and a rapid overflow of the expansion tank due to the high pressure. Under normal driving (low boost) conditions everything is fine, so to begin with I'm going to just replace the standard 10.9 grade head bolts with stronger 12.9 items. They will be torqued down higher than usual too. If It continues to leak then the head gasket may be damaged so I will replace it as it's not a difficult job.

On a plus note as we were using the rolling road at the time we could react immediately so minimal damage has been done, so a simple bolt change and re-torque should be fine.
I did get a some power figures before the lift and things are looking promising!

How in the hell is the head "lifting" ??? That thing is bolted down with stupid amounts of torque isn't it ? You don't mean to say the head is flexing right ?

Love this thread btw.

P.S. You REALLY need to give us a video of this beast, hope I've not missed one ?

'98 V40 2.0T B4204T - died...
'96 855 2.5 TDI D5252T - 255,000 miles
"Diesel without turbo is like a woman without boobs... sure you can drive it, but there's always something missing."
artiedtke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 22:53   #30
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00TS View Post
The good folks over on D24T.com seemed to rate ARP stud kits for keeping the heads snug when running oodles of boost.

A quick gander at the website suggests they come in at ~$145.
They are good but I wanted to still use a proper 'stretch bolt' rather than the arp's. Main reason is to still keep a kind of fail safe incase I push things to far. I'd rather it lift the head again than completely sh1t itself!