Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Where to upgrade CEM ?

Views : 1468

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 15:47   #1
Carthings

Default Where to upgrade CEM ?

As title- is a main dealer the place to go to upgrade the software / reinstall your cars’ brain , or is there another way, last time I went to a professional looking place and they charged £170 but couldn’t load it all on for some reason.

Many thanks!
Carthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 16:10   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthings View Post
As title- is a main dealer the place to go to upgrade the software / reinstall your cars’ brain , or is there another way, last time I went to a professional looking place and they charged £170 but couldn’t load it all on for some reason.

Many thanks!
yes the dealer has the required equipment , why do you want the software reloaded ?
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 16:14   #3
Carthings

I think someone has fooled it into thinking there's a DPF which I have found out there is not ( the case has been gutted ), as all diagnostics report back fine. So I'd like fresh software so I can fit a new DPF. That's assuming it hasn't been fooled into thinking there's a DPF by other means....

Any idea roughly of the dealer price, I'm waiting on them getting back to me.

Thanks for the reply.
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 16:18   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
I think someone has fooled it into thinking there's a DPF which I have found out there is not ( the case has been gutted ), as all diagnostics report back fine. So I'd like fresh software so I can fit a new DPF. That's assuming it hasn't been fooled into thinking there's a DPF by other means....

Any idea roughly of the dealer price, I'm waiting on them getting back to me.

Thanks for the reply.
the DPF is not handled by the CEM , the Engine Control Module does that . and if someone has tampered with it , it is possible volvos system will not do it as the software will be " corrupt" ... that is checksums do not correspond .
they should charge you no more than 20 minutes labour for the software + the cost of the software + VAT of course .
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 17:08   #5
Carthings

Ah ok that's great info, so in theory I only need to ask for an ECM update / reload? As the CEM isn't affected? Thanks again.
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 17:55   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Ah ok that's great info, so in theory I only need to ask for an ECM update / reload? As the CEM isn't affected? Thanks again.
Its worth a try !
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 18:06   #7
Carthings

Thanks.

Reading back on what you said about the system being corrupt and it not allowing to link up, maybe that's why my previous attempt failed at the indy garage. In your experience in that situation does that mean it's game over save buying a whole brand new ECM from Volvo, or could they reprogram a "scrap" unit from a similar salvage car? Thanks again.
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 18:13   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks.

Reading back on what you said about the system being corrupt and it not allowing to link up, maybe that's why my previous attempt failed at the indy garage. In your experience in that situation does that mean it's game over save buying a whole brand new ECM from Volvo, or could they reprogram a "scrap" unit from a similar salvage car? Thanks again.
no i'm not involved in the dodgy side of things , you cannot swap ecus around they contain the unique immobiliser codes and security info , If they cant do the software you will need a new ECU ..
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 20:19   #9
Carthings

Ok thanks for the info , very useful... it's so complicated as all I want is to fit a DPF so my car doesn't stink so bad....
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 20:21   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Ok thanks for the info , very useful... it's so complicated as all I want is to fit a DPF so my car doesn't stink so bad....
It will quickly clog up and ruin itself if the control system isnt working first .