Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo V70 t5 ex police conversion {taxi}

Views : 1778

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 13th, 2012, 19:15   #1
Secant

Default Volvo V70 t5 ex police conversion {taxi}

Hi,

Much appreciation for taking a look at my question.

I am looking at converting an ex-Police Volvo v70 t5 petrol over to LPG. However, the use for the vehicle will be as a taxi for a few months (until I move in to a career).

Having searched the Internet I've noticed some people have had bad experiences with this, moreso with this vehicle in question. I've contacted auto gas who have given me a quote of approximately £1500. I believe it is a 'lovato system' that they have recommended.

My biggest worry is the valve wear that this could cause, autogas are willing to include a lubricant which should deter that.

Having read to this point, could some kind soul(s) educate me on this with their knowledge or experiences?

Many thanks
Secant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 20:11   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Conversion prices can be found here

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=135975

To know if you need valve protection I would need to know the model year.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 23:12   #3
Secant

Thank you for your reply.

I have yet to buy it (hopefully this week!), but the vehicles I am looking at are 2005, 2006 and 2007. With it being used as a taxi whilst I study, I am concerned of any possible engine faults?
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 23:38   #4
sneakypenguin

If your only going to be doing the taxi for a few months then I doubt your going to recoup the initial investment of the gas system. I'd have thought a D5 or similar would be better suited plus you'd get the benefit of being able to sell it on quicker when you've started your new career.

Not only would it be better on fuel but the insurance on a D5 will be much lower than a T5 especially in liverpool.

Hth

mick
Dice/Vida
sneakypenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 23:55   #5
Secant

A D5 would be fantastic, but I've yet to have any luck in finding one below my price range. At the moment a t5 seems, financially at least somewhat better.
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 09:29   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secant View Post
Thank you for your reply.

I have yet to buy it (hopefully this week!), but the vehicles I am looking at are 2005, 2006 and 2007. With it being used as a taxi whilst I study, I am concerned of any possible engine faults?
You will need a valve care system on those ages. 2003 onwards I recomend fitting the oiler system to help combat VRS. I will soon be offering a cylinder head upgrade to remove the need for adding any additive. I'm just on the testing stages and need to get some miles on the head that I have done.
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 15:06   #7
RMBBob
Ex Royal Marine Band

Default T5 Taxi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakypenguin View Post
If your only going to be doing the taxi for a few months then I doubt your going to recoup the initial investment of the gas system. I'd have thought a D5 or similar would be better suited plus you'd get the benefit of being able to sell it on quicker when you've started your new career.

Not only would it be better on fuel but the insurance on a D5 will be much lower than a T5 especially in liverpool.

Hth

mick

I have a T5. (Expensive running). The advice here is good. Get a D5. Good performance and economy. and much more resaleable. You will probably want to keep a D5. For ever!

Best of good fortune to you in your job search.
Do not pay £1500 for conversion.

Last edited by RMBBob; Jun 14th, 2012 at 15:11. Reason: Clarify
RMBBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 19:24   #8
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Rather than either the T5 or D5 a 2.4 turbo would be the best bet for fuel consumption/power. The 2.4 turbos are much better on fuel than a T5 but still have enough go for what you need. It would be the cheapest to run especialy when driving in town.
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 14:33   #9
LPG-T5

Default I have a 2.4 phase 2 T5 on LPG

Hi
Not sure if this helps at all but the figures (pence per mile) make a T5 with a decent LPG conversion good value. Masses of horsepower, loads of car for your money and around 10-11p per mile on a run which equates to 65 diesel miles per gallon. My friend with a 2007 D5 only gets around 55 on a run and around 38mpg from driving hard.

Down side - having 305bhp creates a massive itch under your right foot which just occasionally you *have* to scratch at which point you're lucky to get 15p per mile which is only 43 diesel miles per gallon but... that's still better than a diesel.

I'm writing a blog called "T5 on a shoestring" which will be hosted at http://www.gaspoweruk.co.uk (the people that did my conversion) on how I sourced an ex police V70 T5, got converted it to LPG and swapped out the tired old police interior with a less tired full interior and all the pit falls and pendulums on the way I've encountered. I've been massively pleased with the results, Dai's support gave me the confidence to dive in and get it done.

Budget:
£5,200 (car £3,100, LPG £1,500, Donor car for interior, tow bar etc £600)
LPG-T5 is offline   Reply With Quote