Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine Service Required - MAF Cleaning

Views : 6266

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 18th, 2013, 21:12   #11
BestGear
Master Member

Cleaning before replacing is always a good idea...

You are better to remove the maf sensor from the air pipe itself - two torx (may be 5 point on some cars) so you can remove the actual maf sensor and get right into it.

You will be left with the maf in your hand - which looks like the maf on the front of the first maf cleaner can picture.

As has been said many times before.... dont go in ther too hard as the maf wire is very delicate.

David
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 22:40   #12
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestGear View Post
As has been said many times before.... dont go in ther too hard as the maf wire is very delicate.

David
That's the reason I left it in its housing, it is a very fragile(and expensive) component so leaving it in place protected it from anything stupid I may have done. The cleaning spray has to be held at a distance from the actual sensor and works perfectly well through the mesh.
Shadeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2013, 09:00   #13
Coconut
Older than Junior Member

Excellent information, Photographs and instructions -
Many thanks for this very useful post

2008 XC90 D5 Executive, Sandstone Beige Leather, Active Bi-Xenons, Electric Sun Roof, Roof rails, Climate Control, Twin electric front heated seats, Volvo DTi, Full integrated phone, Westfalia Tow Bar....
Coconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2013, 11:11   #14
Funky Diver
FD

Smile

So, I set about doing this with my tin of Halfords Electric Cleaner spray.

Problem, I couldn't get the nozzle in through the protection mesh to clean the wire.

Solution. Took the MAF sensor out of the housing. Had to use pliers, a the screws are ribe-security-bugger like.

So here's the sensor unit.

This was after the initial clean.

I basically cleaned anything metallic looking, figuring they would in some way be affecting the sensor if covered in crud, which it all was.

Particularly this thermistor / diode (blue arra) and the metallic plate (red arra) under the rather obvious flow channel.

I also noticed that actually... Where the wire inside the action port lives... There's 3!

This is after the second clean...

Popped it all back together, and voila... Car really is more responsive! Cheers shadeyman!
Funky Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Funky Diver For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2013, 20:43   #15
BestGear
Master Member

Well done Funky...

With the maf out of the housing I think you can now see why I suggested it.

This maf is like many others that have various chambers and air passages that unless you take the maf sensor out, you dont really have much chance of cleaning it properly.

As a total aside... that maf looks suspiciously like one porsche use (bosch part).

David
Old Apr 19th, 2013, 21:02   #16
Funky Diver
FD

It is a Bosch unit...
Funky Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 01:29   #17
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestGear View Post
As a total aside... that maf looks suspiciously like one porsche use (bosch part).

David
Bosch MAF Sensors use the same design(because it works extremely well) so tend to look alike. Most measure air temp and flow but some(Film) measure only flow.

A common problem with taking the sensor out of its housing for cleaning is holding the spray to close and basically freezing it. If you know what your doing then remove the sensor from its housing, the usual short bursts allowing the temperature of the sensor to rise a few degree's after each burst is fine. But, a thin layer a frost can easily form on the sensor if your not careful making the platinum wires very fragile. The onboard electronics can also be effected by low temperatures, always better to be safe than sorry, not too close and short bursts.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 07:39   #18
Shadeyman
VOC Member

I've just been told its best to reset the engine ECU by disconnecting the battery for an hour(or more) after cleaning the MAF to allow the car to adjust to the new signal from the cleaned MAF quicker. I know some cars like Fiat respond to this, do Volvo?