Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DIY RSE Solution Part 2- Camera & Integration - Guide

Views : 29602

Replies : 73

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 3rd, 2014, 19:42   #61
NeedTeddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestGear View Post
Being honest, I would not do it... just run a cable.

It is really not that difficult or time consuming to run the cable from rear to front.

The tricky bit as in any vehicle is getting the cable from tailgate into the vehicle body as the small "rubber" tube that protects the cables at the "flex" at the hinges is often a challenge.

The other thing, some "cheaper" cameras wont last forever being permanently powered - especially IR LEDS . Being wireless they would be, as opposed to being powered only when being viewed.

D
Was planning to wire it to the license plate lamps so the headlamp control switch can active the camera on Parking Position and Headlamps On position. Wish we had Volvotech in the States.
NeedTeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2014, 04:42   #62
nyc951

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedTeddy View Post
Was planning to wire it to the license plate lamps so the headlamp control switch can active the camera on Parking Position and Headlamps On position. Wish we had Volvotech in the States.
Teddy,

I'm in Boston, Massachusetts and am a little late to the party, but I have the Video Break-in Box from Volvo Tech for sale. It's brand new as I had it shipped from Volvo Tech (UK), paid for the international shipping and customs fees, and never installed it. We traded the car in for a mini-van

I have the Video Break-in Box for an XC90 with the DynaAudio stereo and two cameras (purchased on eBay) for sale if you want it.

Additionally, I also have the Hands-free connection kit, along with the Mute Cable, for sale. They are also from Volvo Tech and brand new.

Let me know if you're interested.

Thank you.

nyc951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2015, 22:00   #63
whofeelsitknowsit

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc951 View Post
Teddy,

I'm in Boston, Massachusetts and am a little late to the party, but I have the Video Break-in Box from Volvo Tech for sale. It's brand new as I had it shipped from Volvo Tech (UK), paid for the international shipping and customs fees, and never installed it. We traded the car in for a mini-van

I have the Video Break-in Box for an XC90 with the DynaAudio stereo and two cameras (purchased on eBay) for sale if you want it.

Additionally, I also have the Hands-free connection kit, along with the Mute Cable, for sale. They are also from Volvo Tech and brand new.

Let me know if you're interested.

Thank you.

Hey, I know I'm replying to an old post, but is this stuff still available or has it been sold? If it's available, I'm interested. I just bought a 2008 XC90, and I'd like to install the volvotech backup camera kit and hamds free kit.
whofeelsitknowsit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2015, 23:55   #64
nyc951

Quote:
Originally Posted by whofeelsitknowsit View Post
Hey, I know I'm replying to an old post, but is this stuff still available or has it been sold? If it's available, I'm interested. I just bought a 2008 XC90, and I'd like to install the volvotech backup camera kit and hamds free kit.
Hi there,

It is still available if you'd like to buy it. Please send me an email [removed] and I will answer any questions you have.

Thanks!

Last edited by CTCNetwork; Feb 9th, 2015 at 13:05. Reason: Removed email on request
nyc951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2015, 02:59   #65
whofeelsitknowsit

Great - just emailed you.
whofeelsitknowsit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2015, 16:02   #66
Sabreur

Being a newbie I'm more than a little confused by all the jargon.

I have a 2012 V70SE and want to add a rear view camera. I would like to have this camera display on the dashboard screen.

Installing the camera is easy. Connecting it to a moinitor is easy. Finding somewhere sensible to put the monitor is impossible. So how do I do get the picture on the built-in screen? Is there a convenient RCA(Phono) socket lurking behind a trim panel or do I need some sort of interface?
Sabreur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2022, 19:50   #67
Davezj

Hi all,
can someone verify that i am looking at the correct patch harness to allow me to add in a reverse camera.
i think this is correct one but not 100%

this is the harness from volvotech
https://www.swedesolutions.com/product/p2-lite-camera/

i have a XC90 2011 with RTI Nav.

this is a bit of expensive way of fitting a rear view camera at 161 Euro but it is an option.
i am still debating wheather to go stand alone system or go for the more factory option above.
the reason i am to minds is the factory screen is really slow to opeate if the screen is not already in the up position.

Last edited by Davezj; Apr 12th, 2022 at 20:00.
Davezj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2022, 22:41   #68
Davezj

I have been deciding on what to do to get a Reverse camera fitted to my XC90 and i think i have come to the conclusion that the sat nav screen is just to slow to be that useful as a raverse camera screen.
i dont have it up and on all the time so from the point of selecting reverse you have to wait for the screen to activate and rise out of the dash.

the only other option is to fit another screen somewhere else.
i have a aftermarket system on one of other cars a legnum VR4 and it is a over the rear view mirror kit.
which works really well and is instant image on selecting reverse.

if i fitted one of these in the XC90 i would loose the compass and the little warning screen for the seat belt and the passenger air bag status.
i dont mind loosing these features, as the mirror has a built in compass and a dashcam recorder for the front and back.

i have ordered one and i will see if it is any good and if it fits the XC90 mirror location and size. it is only £55 so i am not expecting a fantastic bit of kit, but it records 1080p front and back. and has a 10" touch screen.

i will reportback and let you know what it like.
Old Apr 26th, 2022, 21:31   #69
Davezj

Ok so i have recvied my rear view dash cam i ordered.

This is what i ordered.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203864006607

XGODY 10" Dash Cam 1080P Full HD Dual Lens Touch Screen Car DVR Camera Recorder £58

dash cam.JPG

It functions very well, and the recording and playback is very good.

unfortunately i have xc90 executive model and it has the auto diming mirror, with compass and the seatbelt, air bag warning signs.
this means the mirror is really big and chunky.
it also has very well fitting sun visors so when they are folded down they get very closeto the sides of the rear view mirror.

this dash cam reversing mirror has the forward facing camera on an extendable slide that comes out fron the side of the new mirror and it stops the passenger sun visor from being folded down.

Also because the volvo mirror is so deep it is quite dificult to possition the new mitrror over the volvo one and get the forward facing camera to sit right and point in the correct position.

so this cash cam reverse mirror is not going to work for me.
but all is not lost as i can fit the dash cam mirror to one of my other car.
I just wanted to share this with you so you dont make the same mistake i did.
Old Apr 26th, 2022, 21:42   #70
Davezj

for my next option i will try a similar cash cam reverse camer combo, but it has a removeable front camera that mounts onto the front windscreen.
which should remove the issue of the sunvisor operation.

it is a little more expensive but if it does the job then happy days.
more info to follow when it turns up.

Tags
budget, diy, rse, screen, xc90