Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 Swirl Flaps

Views : 35935

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 14th, 2012, 21:49   #1
superstonks

Default D5 Swirl Flaps

Hi all, I have recently purchased a v50 d5 and very nice it is too, however i read on this forum that the swirl flaps linkage have a habit of coming off, being curious lifted the lid to see the linkage hanging in the breeze. however my point is the car goes like a rocket, is returning 37/38 mpg. Is this good / bad. I'm not too sure just to leave it as it is.

comments please.
superstonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 22:46   #2
RobbieH
Two wheeled lycra lout

Sounds od tbh.

Most other cases I've come across with broken / dis-connected swirl flap arms on the EUIV D5 have led to the car going into limp mode so "goes like a damp squib" seems more apt.

Try a self repair and compare

54 V70 D5 SE (163, EUIII) MTE, Eibach, Powerflex, IPD arb's, TWR FMIC, Ferrita cat-back.
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobbieH For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2012, 08:46   #3
kenny37

My swirl arm has been disconnected for 2 years and drives normaly. Once during a spirited drive I had an engine service warning appear but no power loss and the message went away a day or so later. Was going to do the well explained fix but havent got around to it as have only seen the motor move once and seems to move far more than the fix allows for? starting position at the 11`o`clock and goes on till the 3`o` clock!
Old May 20th, 2012, 11:08   #4
Tapani

Default swirl flaps in D5

Hi, to my understanding the swirl flaps are for optimizing the air flow in different engine load situations - not a necessarity. but if you have strict pollution checks? or dpf installed the diy repair could be a good idea. adding few mm flexibility in the broken join has been working for years now for me.
br Tapsa
Tapani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 12:41   #5
Bomber209

Default Swirl Flaps

Hi; I'm assuming these are on the Intake Manifold. I had a Merc ML 270 CDI with similar. Check that the actuator is not seized and operates with 12v supply before re-connecting or you'll end up with ECU problems. Also found when I removed Inlet Manifold, someone had been there before me and actually snapped off the flaps/wings. No running problems until Oil started leaking (via EGR) from swirl flap centre shafts.
Bomber209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 20:52   #6
5cilinder
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstonks View Post
Hi all, I have recently purchased a v50 d5 and very nice it is too, however i read on this forum that the swirl flaps linkage have a habit of coming off, being curious lifted the lid to see the linkage hanging in the breeze. however my point is the car goes like a rocket, is returning 37/38 mpg. Is this good / bad. I'm not too sure just to leave it as it is.

comments please.
I advice to repair it ,a repair kit costs 7 quit and will last
Right now the airflow is a bit restricted for full throttle maybe you wont notice powerloss because diesels operate on airexcess
If that is taken away you get your power but with a lot of soot ,but you wont notice soot because of the sootfilter, wich will regenerate like crazy wich costs fuel and dillutes motoroil
5cilinder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 23:20   #7
srp111
VOLVO XC60 2018 R DESIGN

Mine was hanging off aswell, to be honest didnt notice any difference on or off but put it back together usinga volvo repair kit but broke again as they test themselves evry so many engine starts and pull back the arm and it breaks,

In the end i used a panel pin and bent it over works perfectly and never came off, great car but upgraded to an xc90 but still miss the s60 !!
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 23:31   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber209 View Post
Hi; I'm assuming these are on the Intake Manifold. I had a Merc ML 270 CDI with similar. Check that the actuator is not seized and operates with 12v supply before re-connecting or you'll end up with ECU problems. Also found when I removed Inlet Manifold, someone had been there before me and actually snapped off the flaps/wings. No running problems until Oil started leaking (via EGR) from swirl flap centre shafts.
don't connect a 12v supply , the motor works on a Pulse width modulation signal to give it proportional movement , 12v direct will shoot the motor instantly to its end stops and damage something .
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 19:15   #9
Shaddy2689
Shaddy s60 D5

Default Swerl flap d5

I have the same problem with my 55 reg s60 d5 I repaired the broken arm by making a hole through the ball and socket and putting a split pin through? It's been fine for months but now the split pin has started to wear and it keeps opening up and jamming has any one got pics and info on the fast fix
Shaddy2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 21:36   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaddy2689 View Post
I have the same problem with my 55 reg s60 d5 I repaired the broken arm by making a hole through the ball and socket and putting a split pin through? It's been fine for months but now the split pin has started to wear and it keeps opening up and jamming has any one got pics and info on the fast fix
You have the hole through it so get the Volvo repair kit from a dealer , about £4 .