Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'92 240 Long Term Storage

Views : 413

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 17th, 2019, 10:18   #1
AlexO

Default '92 240 Long Term Storage

Chaps,

I was wondering if anyone's got any ideas or information about long term car storage in the South of the UK, say anywhere between Exeter/Bristol/Oxford/London?

I'm nearly in a position to get a newer Volvo but I really want to hang on to my 240 as a future project car. I know well-kept mint condition cars are going up in price but mine was more functionally than aesthetically gifted when it passed in to my ownership and so probably isn't worth much to sell, plus I'd hate for it to go to the bangers -shudder-. I don't have access to a big shed or a farm or a garage or any kind of parent's house so I'm looking for somewhere I can store my 240 that's secure, and preferably dry, until I've got the time and space to get it back up to the standard/give it the big turbo it deserves. I'm not made of money but I'd be willing to pay monthly or yearly if required.

If anyone knows or has used anywhere that they can recommend then I'm all ears.

Cheers,

Alex
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 16:39   #2
green van man
Premier Member

Why don't you try caravan or boat stores, some may accept an old volvo parked in the corner.

As a guide I pay £500 a year to barn store my caravan on a farm/ caravan site in West wales. I just text the owner the day before I'm picking it up or dropping it off as a courtesy and so he dosent panic when he sees it gone, and can drop in to visit it anytime. Being a working farm as well as caravan site driving through cow **** to the storage barn is a given.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 17:34   #3
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

A 240 would fit in a 20ft shipping container but that would cost around £160 a month around here (MK) or maybe buy a secondhand container, about £1500, and find somewhere to put it cheap like a friendly farmer.

Sort of begs the question how much is it worth to store it.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2019, 11:11   #4
canis
Non Fragile

An enormous plastic bag would be cheaper.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2019, 11:53   #5
AlexO

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
An enormous plastic bag would be cheaper.
Yes but where to put the bag?!

But yeah this is the question, how much is it worth to store it? I'll never get another car like this again and I have put an awful lot of work in to it but more than £1500/year to store is well....yeah, mental.

Cheers

Alex
Old Jun 18th, 2019, 18:19   #6
Welton
Premier Member

You'd have to be careful that wherever you store it is dry enough and rodent-free enough that when you revisit the car in years to come it hasn't turned into a festering heap.

Ideally would be a small corner of a working Warehouse or similar.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2019, 18:58   #7
Triple-S
How Old?

Alex - my storage area is a few miles east of Chichester (remember I bought some wheels from you a couple of years back), but is a bit of an overgrown mess at present as due health problems haven't been there much this year.

In winter I additionally rent the double garage there so my 164 can hibernate under cover every winter - cost to me an extra £80 per month. Very safe and dry, although a horsy-place next door may encourage mice etc in winter: I've not seen any evidence though. PM me if interested.

Paul
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote