Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine Service Require - ECM6805

Views : 27039

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 20:19   #11
z_ibi

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
If you do get the problem back now after having a new turbo control valve and sure there are no leaks from boost pipes or intercooler or engine mounts then the answer is a new turbo , dont waste money on reconditioning , there is likely to be nothing wrong with the main turbo components, the code indicates air flow calibration the calibration of the turbo conrol rod on the turbo is crucial .
you would have nothing to loose by trying an adjustment of the rod say one turn back then if that doesnt help two turns forward from there before you do go for the new turbocharger .. The problem sometimes is a sticking or cracked vane ring inside the turbocharger .
Hi all - I am new on the site.

I have s60 D5 2002 - and last weeks my engine has exactly the same symptoms - ECM6805.
Engine mounts are checked (and actually replaced) - but error is back again.,

Clan - can I ask you where is exactly such turbo control rod ?
do you have kind of picture or drawing ? I am not so familiar with D5 turbo ...
thanks
z_ibi
z_ibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 22:12   #12
GSMGuy
Master Member

Quote:
i'll find out tuesday ..
And??

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 22:24   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

sorry mike , i'm not getting notification e-mails or PM's so difficult to keep track of things .. will try to find this thread again tomorrow and let you know .
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 22:42   #14
GSMGuy
Master Member

Quote:
sorry mike , i'm not getting notification e-mails or PM's so difficult to keep track of things .. will try to find this thread again tomorrow and let you know .
Thanks

Mike
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 19:50   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

30774597 £52.50 ,
consists of boost valve , Bracket , some nice staniless steel pipe and silicon vacuum pipes ... Primarily for D4204T but visibly the same as the D5 boost valve ..
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 09:39   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

there is the rod on top with the adjuster.

WARNING
only do this as a last resort when you have nothing to loose .
If you dabble with this on a good turbo you will CAUSE this fault code and need a new turbo to cure !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D5 Turbocharger.jpg (36.1 KB, 121 views)
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 22:01   #17
z_ibi

Quote:
there is the rod on top with the adjuster.

WARNING
only do this as a last resort when you have nothing to loose .
If you dabble with this on a good turbo you will CAUSE this fault code and need a new turbo to cure !
thanks Clan
I will keep it in mind.
now we are checking intercooler .

regards
z_ibi
z_ibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 14:15   #18
RobI

Update:

So just as a little treat from my car on the day before I get back to work, the engine warning came on again. Bugger.

I guess I need to take it back to Volvo to check it is the same error code. I have had the new control valve on there for about 6 weeks and was starting to believe it was all ok.

So if I decide it is worth replacing the turbo, what are the estimated costs involved - part and labour hours? Is it something I could pursue outside of the main dealer should their costs be very high or if the part comes from them anyway it would be the labour cost I could save on?

Real shame as I suspect it will cost a fortune and having already spent effectively a couple hundred quid on a part I didn't need it kind of rubs salt into the wounds. I doubt that really will help with any negotiations with the main dealer...
RobI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 15:06   #19
GSMGuy
Master Member

I have said this before, and I'll say it again - In my opinion, ify you take your car to a Volvo Dealer with a problem, and they do not correctly diagnose the fault, you should be entitled to a refund of the costs of any parts/labour you have paid for that were not necessary.

The Dealers are supposed to be knowledgeable in relation to their products - In any other profession, would you dream of saying to someone "Sorry, we got it wrong and wasted your money, but hey ho - lets have another go...."

If a Dealer makes a wrong diagnosis of a fault, they should stand the cost - NOT the customer... In my line of work (kitchens) if I make a mistake and order the wrong item/fit the wrong part, it is ME that stands the cost... Why should I force my customer to pay for my mistakes?

So why should we pay when a Dealer gets it wrong??? I tell ypou, if it was a case of "no fix, no fee" it would be a different ball game - Trouble now is, "technicians" generally don't know how to troubleshoot and fault find - It's easier to just keep on replacing components until it works correctly, the dealer makes money, the technician makes money and the manufacturer sells lots of parts! (Don't get me wrong, there are some damn good tech out there who are very skilled in the art of diagnosis/fault finding - however you'll find most, if not all of them raking it in at indies or self employed!!)

Just my 2p

Mike
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GSMGuy For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 16:09   #20
Rockhopper
XC90 Exec

RobI

This all sounds familiar - I had the same problem and code a few months back.

I went through the process of:

* get all vac lines checked for leaks (vac test or smoke test)
* check engine pads for leaks
* check / replace turbo control valve (TCV) on air box (part no. 30611668 ~£30)
* check / replace turbo governor valve on front of engine block (part no 30637251 ~£110)
* last resort its the turbo

I had vac lines checked at an indy - all ok.

Replaced the TCV - still threw code. Apparently its also worth trying yet another TCV as they can be temperamental !

Replaced governor - cured!

Seems a new governor hasn't cured yours. Have you also changed the TCV?? More likely a cuplrit perhaps?
Rockhopper is offline   Reply With Quote