Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Swirl Chamber operating arm

Views : 82946

Replies : 91

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 17th, 2009, 16:00   #1
RobCumbria

Default Swirl Chamber operating arm

Apparently a known fault is that the Swirl Chamber operating arm tends to break – This must have happened to mine and was modified by the previous owner by using a small nut and bolt at the engine end, this probably weekend the operating arm because of the size of the hole that was drilled and it has since broken off – Now the main Volvo Agency is quoting £200 / £250 to replace the arm and fit the new Volvo approved modification, a small metal pin ??
Is there an alternative way of fixing this or can the operating arm be bought separately, if so from where and how much ??
Thanks
Rob

Last edited by RobCumbria; Dec 17th, 2009 at 17:58. Reason: Image added
RobCumbria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RobCumbria For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 22:29   #2
Beavis
Premier Member

does anyone know if this is possible, as i have noticed today that mine in broken.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 01:14   #3
Tip

I have had my car serviced today and they have also said that my swirl chamber arm is damaged.

They are gonna try the pin method first but i have heard that its hit and miss whether it works.

Failing that its around £450 to have the bits replaced properly.

ricky
Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 21:18   #4
Beavis
Premier Member

i had mine repaired 2 weeks ago. all seems ok. my local Indy managed to get the volvo replacement arm kit, and managed to drill it.

cost £5 for part, and £35 for 1/2 hour of labour. they did say it was a bit of a bi*ch to fit, but it seems to go ok.

Clan did say that this type of repair is not a particulary good one, but i only expect to keep the car another 12 months/10000 miles so i though that even if it broke another 5 times, it would still be cheaper than the £200-£300 people have talked about for the full job.

hope it works out well for you.
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 17:05   #5
Tip

Many thanks for that mate.

I think i will try the repair route then.

Out of interest, what differences did you notice from when the swirl chamber was non operational to now you have had it repaired ?

Thanks
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 18:22   #6
csd_19

Excuse my ignorance, but where is the swirl chamber and its problematic arm? I'm still learning about the D5 lump

If your car feels like it's on rails, you're going too slow!
csd_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to csd_19 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 23:36   #7
Beavis
Premier Member

hi tip,

i must admit, i didn't really notice anything in the driving style of the car. i can only assume it is emissions related or something.

it kept flashing up an error on the dash when i hit 3000 rpm though, so that was main reason for fixing it, didn't want it to be a long term problem causing damage.

hi csd, there is a picture here of it in this thread - http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=87431
The Following User Says Thank You to Beavis For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 01:05   #8
Tip

Thanks for the reply Stu.

To be honest i dont realy notice anything different on mine either.

Hopefully the £80 fix will last a while !

Ricky
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 11:43   #9
S60D5NI

Default Swirl Valve - error message

Mine broke on Sunday night - 2 months out of warranty! Seems to be same failure - plastic 'ball' (as in ball and socket) snapped off the operting arm at the engine end.

Symptoms initially were 'engine system service required' warning on the DIM but all seemed to be running OKl until following day - pulling out to overtake there was a major flat spot around 3,500 RPM.

Found this write-up on the volvo diesel - http://www.ae-plus.com/key%20topics/cc-Volvo-news3.htm

The relevant extract is: -
'As was the case on the previous diesel powertrain, air swirls in the cylinders' combustion chambers. The use of a new electronically controlled multi-throttle system in the inlet ports allows for infinitely variable regulation of the swirl level, and combustion can be adjusted extremely accurately according to the driving situation and the current engine speed and load.'

So that's what the swirl valve does and hence the performance issues when it's broke!

Having read through forum I have opted for a DIY repair by making a pin (from an old nail and trursty dremel) and then glued the ball on with araldite.
Performance is back to normal, but warning still flashes up on start-up.

Does anyone know if this will clear or is it a trip to the dealers to reset the error codes (or possibly purchase a BSR PPC Code Reader)?
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 18:03   #10
Tip

Hi mate.

Thanks for the info.

Does your fix seem to be sturdy ?

I have heard of even the volvo dealer fix not lasting too long.

Ricky
The Following User Says Thank You to Tip For This Useful Post: