Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

last chance for my 164e

Views : 891

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 6th, 2008, 01:56   #1
mark164esaab

Unhappy last chance for my 164e

My 164e has an intermittent problem I dont seem to be able to solve, the wife thinks its time to buy something newer, and more reliable, I disagree, the old girl has never actually broken down, although every now and then she has 'a moment', and who wants a more modern car, with no charachter. It will suddenly 'miss', when driving, only for a millisecond, sometimes a couple of times in quick succession, then be fine for a week or so, this is usually met with the comment 'whats it doing' from the wife, and a stern look in my direction. Some of the injectors have been changed, and all the small rubber hoses feeding them, the tps tracks are clean, ive generally checked everything I can think of. My Volvo mechanic thinks it could be a resistor on the circuit board/brain that may be deteriorating, but this could get expensive if I just keep swapping things out. Any ideas guys?

Thanks,

Mark

Kick down cables are hard to come by, but ive found one in the Netherlands from a tip off on a previous thread.
mark164esaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 11:12   #2
Audrey Old
VOC Member

Default 164E woes

Hi Mark

I've just had to hire my friendly local Volvo injection freelance expert because my 164TE simply refused to run on 6 cylinders. I won't bore you with all the bits I systematically changed over the weeks, suffice to say that, with a meter we found a break in the loom to an injector. Although everything was touching, there was this break; once that area was bypassed it sounded loverly again!

However, on my 164E (I have three on-road injection 164s - must be mad!), after a serious miles-from-home hiccough it ran terribly, an absolute pig to nurse home, with no idle below 1800 rpm, and coughing all the way. Again after lots of bit-swaps I eventually found it was bad contacts in the plastic gizmo on the end of the throttle butterfly spindle - the throttle sensor? These get corroded, and smooth messages have to be fed from it to the 'brain' to send the right amount of fuel to all the injectors. Mine got uneven measures - sometimes none, so it ran like a pig in sh*t.

Conclusions: take that throttle thingie apart and clean it thoroughly, observe if any warning lights briefly flash up when it next cuts out (implying an electrical short), make sure brain connector is secure then ask Mike and Matt Brace on here if they have any ideas! They have been extremely helpful to me in the past.

Good luck.

Paul
Audrey Old is offline   Reply With Quote