Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

v70 D5 auto v's manual - driving impressions ?

Views : 2191

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 17th, 2024, 20:21   #21
apersson850
Premier Member

There is a significant different in how the steering feels dependent on which of the steering types you have.
Our D4 has the standard power assisted steering. Quite high resistance when reversing with a trailer or other low speed maneuvers.

Our D5 has the progressive adjustable power steering. I usually set it to medium for everyday driving, light for trailer towing and stiff for long stretches of highway driving. But since it's progressive it's much more comfortable at low speeds regardless of the setting and still doesn't lose the feeling at higher speeds.

The TF-80SC and TF-80 SD gearboxes are significantly better if you give them a regular oil change.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2024, 22:40   #22
yostumpy

The later autos have ‘sport mode’ which definately changes the ‘push’ to a ‘shove’ and manual override. Further back someone said they drive their manual in 4 th a lot, as it’s flexible, well similarly I use manual override in back road, B road and general country side driving, as I like to make the engine work a bit harder rather than keep going up and down the box. With Overide, it will hang on to …say 5th, up hill, down to 1000rpm under load, and still pull away with gusto. We all drive differently, in a small petrol engines car it would be opposite, keep the thing buzzing along
Old Feb 17th, 2024, 23:14   #23
capt jack
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
What do you mean by twitchy ride? Give me an example.
This is how the What Car review puts it, and I completely agree:

"Unfortunately, the ride is far from perfect and even minor bumps and road scars will be felt by occupants. The V70 settles down a little bit at speed, though, making it an adept motorway cruiser."

And from Autocar:

"Much of the time, the Volvo's V70’s ride quality – surely a priority in a family wagon – is impressively pliant and on the verge of displaying that loping absorbency that was once the speciality of French cars.

It doesn’t quite have that suppleness, though, and at times its body control could be tighter, but overall this is a restful place to be. Until, that is, the wheels pass over a particularly scabby piece of tarmac and thump out a crude drumbeat that shatters the calm.

There’s often some light jerking to go with it, too. Which is a shame, because without this curious behaviour, the V70 would have a well-above-average ride, and handling that’s capable, if no more than that."

Personally I think it's a combination of the heavy 5-cyl Diesel engine, which is inherently less smooth than a petrol engine, big wheels and wide tyres, front-wheel drive and a six-speed auto gearbox. Remember that I'm comparing the car with a straight-six RWD four-speed petrol automatic saloon. Possibly the other thing that contributes is the tyre pressure, which Volvo suggest is set at 38psi all round for economy. I tend to go a bit lower than that to be honest.

Having said all that, when the car is fully laden, with four adults and luggage then I reckon that things definitely improve, and as I think What Car imply, it's less of an issue at higher speeds. Certainly driving the car in heavy stop-start traffic over the pot-holes and speed humps that litter the roads of Leeds is a wearing experience, and not the best way to enjoy a V70.

For me, the car is at it best on good, straight fast A-roads. It is a fine motorway cruiser - if you can find a decent stretch of motorway, but as my regular commute involves the West Yorkshire M1 and M62 morning and evening, a decent stretch of motorway isn't something that I see very often!

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2024, 23:57   #24
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

LOL I've just come from a remapped daily driver T5 2.4 S60 to a D5 185 Geartronic, it feels like I'm not moving.

BUT! the D5 engine sounds really nice when give it some.
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2024, 13:57   #25
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
This is how the What Car review puts it, and I completely agree:

"Unfortunately, the ride is far from perfect and even minor bumps and road scars will be felt by occupants. The V70 settles down a little bit at speed, though, making it an adept motorway cruiser."

And from Autocar:

"Much of the time, the Volvo's V70’s ride quality – surely a priority in a family wagon – is impressively pliant and on the verge of displaying that loping absorbency that was once the speciality of French cars.

It doesn’t quite have that suppleness, though, and at times its body control could be tighter, but overall this is a restful place to be. Until, that is, the wheels pass over a particularly scabby piece of tarmac and thump out a crude drumbeat that shatters the calm.

There’s often some light jerking to go with it, too. Which is a shame, because without this curious behaviour, the V70 would have a well-above-average ride, and handling that’s capable, if no more than that."

Personally I think it's a combination of the heavy 5-cyl Diesel engine, which is inherently less smooth than a petrol engine, big wheels and wide tyres, front-wheel drive and a six-speed auto gearbox. Remember that I'm comparing the car with a straight-six RWD four-speed petrol automatic saloon. Possibly the other thing that contributes is the tyre pressure, which Volvo suggest is set at 38psi all round for economy. I tend to go a bit lower than that to be honest.

Having said all that, when the car is fully laden, with four adults and luggage then I reckon that things definitely improve, and as I think What Car imply, it's less of an issue at higher speeds. Certainly driving the car in heavy stop-start traffic over the pot-holes and speed humps that litter the roads of Leeds is a wearing experience, and not the best way to enjoy a V70.

For me, the car is at it best on good, straight fast A-roads. It is a fine motorway cruiser - if you can find a decent stretch of motorway, but as my regular commute involves the West Yorkshire M1 and M62 morning and evening, a decent stretch of motorway isn't something that I see very often!

Jack
Thanks for your response. I do notice my car a is a bit twitchy over uneven surfaces. Let's say I go down a road that has imperfections, like slight changes in the levels of the tarmac, the car seems to be a bit twitchy over surfaces like that (as in the steering wobbles over those bumps). Alignment has been done, suspension checks out fine. I guess it may just be a characteristic of the car.

One thing I do thing would improve the ride on these cars would be an upper suspension arm, like most other heavy cars have (double wishbones). The P3 Volvo's just have a lower control arm, but nothing higher up. I think this is why owner's may feel the ride is twitchy. Go down the same road in a car with a double wishbone suspension setup and you hardly feel a thing.
Old Feb 19th, 2024, 12:57   #26
simboc2004
SimboC2004

I have fitted an R-Design strut brace to my car and it has made the handling on rough roads and the turn in to sharp bends much better - I was amazed the difference it made, so the standard car must have quite a bit of flex in the front "chassis"...

i have also upgraded the rear anti sway bar to a thicker HardRace one - that, too has made a surprising difference to turn in, keeping the car flatter. Not sure why this wasn't standard...

Past: '90 944 2.0 turbo, '91 944 2.0, '92 945 2.0 turbo, '95 945 2.3 HPT, '09 C30 2.0D R Design 180bhp+, '13 C30 D2 Lux.
simboc2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2024, 15:57   #27
apersson850
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yostumpy View Post
The later autos have ‘sport mode’ which...
It was actually there already in model year 2008. But then only available together with the six-cylinder petrol engine.
I think my 2012 is the first to support it with the D5 engine as well.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apersson850 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2024, 09:45   #28
simboc2004
SimboC2004

Did Ford insist on Volvo cutting back on the standard components fitted? What a surprise!! I heard that Saab were even more insistent on improving the GM parts fitted to their cars (up to 70% on the later cars was changed from stock) - partly why Saab went to the wall.

Working on my 2017 V40 at the moment I noticed that the front strut tower has FoMoCo stamped into it. Interesting, I thought...

I have also found many parts to be swappable Ford/Volvo - it's just finding the alternative parts numbers that's complicated. I have just sourced most of the suspension rubber parts/anti-squeak, etc. for my V40 via Ford at a much lower price. As I did when I renewed all my V70's suspension a couple of years ago. Some of the parts I bought then in a Ford bag were marked Volvo on the item - and vice versa.

Past: '90 944 2.0 turbo, '91 944 2.0, '92 945 2.0 turbo, '95 945 2.3 HPT, '09 C30 2.0D R Design 180bhp+, '13 C30 D2 Lux.

Last edited by simboc2004; Feb 20th, 2024 at 09:49.
simboc2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2024, 17:09   #29
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simboc2004 View Post
Did Ford insist on Volvo cutting back on the standard components fitted? What a surprise!! I heard that Saab were even more insistent on improving the GM parts fitted to their cars (up to 70% on the later cars was changed from stock) - partly why Saab went to the wall.

Working on my 2017 V40 at the moment I noticed that the front strut tower has FoMoCo stamped into it. Interesting, I thought...

I have also found many parts to be swappable Ford/Volvo - it's just finding the alternative parts numbers that's complicated. I have just sourced most of the suspension rubber parts/anti-squeak, etc. for my V40 via Ford at a much lower price. As I did when I renewed all my V70's suspension a couple of years ago. Some of the parts I bought then in a Ford bag were marked Volvo on the item - and vice versa.
That's interesting. I know the P3 models shared many suspension components with Ford, as Ford owned Volvo.

I thought newer Volvo's were made under Geely ownership. Maybe they have Ford links too?
Old Feb 20th, 2024, 20:11   #30
capt jack
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
That's interesting. I know the P3 models shared many suspension components with Ford, as Ford owned Volvo.

I thought newer Volvo's were made under Geely ownership. Maybe they have Ford links too?
As well as our two Volvos, we also have a Mazda 3 in the family fleet. And guess what, quite a few under the bonnet bits are stamped FoMoCo. I have a feeling that the Mazda 3, the Volvo V40 and the Ford Focus are related.

If I remember correctly the original S/V40 cars were I think essentially Mitsubishi Carisma underneath the skin.

Apart from the obvious VW stable cars all being similar there are others too. Mind you, it's nothing new back in the late 1980s the Rover 214 and 216 models were Hondas, the Mazda 2 was a Ford Fiesta, and going back even earlier the late and unlamented Lada saloon was a Fiat!

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post: