Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

17" wheels, tyre size

Views : 754

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 10:44   #1
BigBoo

Default 17" wheels, tyre size

I have an Amazon 122s sedan fitted with -30mm sport springs and would like to fit 17” Torq Thrust wheels. Could someone offer advise on what size tyres to use please?

My research so far indicates 205x50x17 or 225x45x17 may be suitable?

Any help/comments particularly from owners with 17” Torq Thrust wheels and a lowered car would be greatly appreciate.

The exact spec of the wheels I’m looking at is:
American Racing AR105M Torq Thrust M 7.5x17 5x114.3 ET 45

Many thanks
BigBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 16:16   #2
Rustinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoo View Post
I have an Amazon 122s sedan fitted with -30mm sport springs and would like to fit 17” Torq Thrust wheels. Could someone offer advise on what size tyres to use please?

My research so far indicates 205x50x17 or 225x45x17 may be suitable?

Any help/comments particularly from owners with 17” Torq Thrust wheels and a lowered car would be greatly appreciate.

The exact spec of the wheels I’m looking at is:
American Racing AR105M Torq Thrust M 7.5x17 5x114.3 ET 45

Many thanks
This site is good to compare new to old it also shows you how much you have changed scrub angle
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

Last edited by Rustinmotion; Feb 22nd, 2024 at 16:22.
Rustinmotion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rustinmotion For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 01:49   #3
DaWhole9

ET45 is not gonna work well. I have been asking similar questions and have gotten various answers. 17x7 or 8 ET0 or somewhere around there is what will work on these cars. Some people have done various modifications. I have seen 17x7 or 8 ET20 work as well and maybe with spacers. Sorry I dont have a definitive answer...if you get one, I would love to know as well, because I plan on using 17 wheels on my wagon, but I can't get a straight answer as to what width and what offset works to fit inside the wheel without rubbing or modifications.
DaWhole9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 06:34   #4
Rustinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWhole9 View Post
ET45 is not gonna work well. I have been asking similar questions and have gotten various answers. 17x7 or 8 ET0 or somewhere around there is what will work on these cars. Some people have done various modifications. I have seen 17x7 or 8 ET20 work as well and maybe with spacers. Sorry I dont have a definitive answer...if you get one, I would love to know as well, because I plan on using 17 wheels on my wagon, but I can't get a straight answer as to what width and what offset works to fit inside the wheel without rubbing or modifications.
Use the link I posted earlier it will tell you how much the tyre will move in towards inner wing and out to wheel arch
On the screenshot the widest it recommends is 195 but offers a 205 as close offset is 25
You can play around with width and offset and it gives you the dimensions to check on the car
Pay attention to the scrub radius on the front the more you go away from 0 the heavier the steering will be, I went from 165 to 195 and could hardly tell the difference because I kept scrub radius as close to zero as possible, if I was to change wheels I would keep the fronts as they are and go an inch wider on the rear for no other reason than looks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0825.jpg (39.5 KB, 7 views)
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 18:00   #5
BigBoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWhole9 View Post
Hi, many thanks for this, I agree, further research shows ET45 is not so good.
Now looking at 17x7 wheels with ET0 with a 215/50 tyre
Quite interestig:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0vJ..._0ICD&index=59
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 20:33   #6
Rustinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoo View Post
Hi, many thanks for this, I agree, further research shows ET45 is not so good.
Now looking at 17x7 wheels with ET0 with a 215/50 tyre
Quite interestig:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0vJ..._0ICD&index=59
That would put the tyre 45mm further out than the original tyre, will it fit?
Calc suggested 205 45 with a 7 inch rim et 25
That would put the tyre 25 mm closer to inner wing and 15mm further out compared to standard wheel and zero scrub radius
If you want 215 x 50 you need ET20 that would give you 25 mm closer to inner wing and 25mm further out to arch this is also zero scrub
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 20:28   #7
Bracpan

Having a small scrub radius is beneficial as it allows the wheel to react less to braking inputs due to the smaller moment arm and increases steering stability under braking conditions.
I found a good drawing one day of the Front Suspension of Ferrari F40 and it had a considerable amount of Scrub radius. The F40 has been commented on many times on how good the steering and the feel is by many top drivers.
Also if you read books on Suspension Design by people like Allan Staniforth he hardly mentions Scrub radius as its not that important.
If there is no scrub radius you have very little feel through the wheel, certain Audi's and VWs had this and with the addition of Power Steering the steering feels dead.
So a few mm of Scrub radius is no problem, its more important to get the proper clearances so the tyres don't catch on anything.

Last edited by Bracpan; Mar 19th, 2024 at 20:35.
Bracpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 13:20   #8
Derek UK
VOC Member

17 x 7 wheels have been used but at this point I don't now what is the best ET. I would consider refitting the original springs and then see how the larger wheels fit. If you can get a single 17 x 7 with a suitable tyre, good condition not essential you can then see how it fits front and back. Original Mustang wheels will fit. 215-225/45? Front clearance will be the problem but the lock stops can be adjusted to help you a bit.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 19:17   #9
BigBoo

In the end I went for American Racing Torq Thrust 7x17 5x114.3 ET 0 wheels.
With Goodyear F1 205/50 tyres and there are no clearance issues at all.
The car is an absolute joy to drive now, I'm delighted
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 20:27   #10
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

ET of 10-15mm would be best usually
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote