Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Servicing - Manufacturer?

Views : 1118

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 10th, 2019, 13:55   #1
peterkelly10

Default Servicing - Manufacturer?

Hello All,

I'm looking at getting a service plan for my 2016 Volvo V40 purchased a couple of weeks ago - I've being quoted approx £350-£500 a year depending on whether I take 3/4/5 years, 1 service per year. 2 questions...do you think this is standard for a Volvo Manufacturer's service or would I be better served going to an independant? Also, has anyone ever used a service such as the below and got an opinion on it?

https://www.servicingstop.co.uk/Volv...SAAEgLeofD_BwE

Thanks in advance!
P
peterkelly10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 00:00   #2
Coaster23

After many years of Volvo ownership I cannot say that main dealer service has been worthwhile, personally I would go to an independent with Vida dice set up. Personal opinion.
Coaster23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 14:45   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

To answer that question we would need to know engine type and size - also annual mileage?
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2019, 16:04   #4
vladdamache

Hi,

I have the same dilemma on my hands currently. just bought a D3 V40 with Geartronic transmission, from 2013 and with 26000 miles done so far, serviced at Volvo up to now.

I got a simple service quotation from the manufacturer for 450GBP and I am not sure whether to go for it of stick with a 3rd party garage that deals with Volvos: Marshall Hertfordshire quoted around 200 GBP for the same operations.

What's your take on this? I was initially opting for Volvo directly due to the software updates that I can get which I am not sure I'll be receiving from Marshall (or other servicing franchise that deals with Volvos as well) but now I am not so sure.

Cheers.

Last edited by vladdamache; May 20th, 2019 at 16:05. Reason: incomplete last sentence
vladdamache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2019, 16:15   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterkelly10 View Post
Hello All,

I'm looking at getting a service plan for my 2016 Volvo V40 purchased a couple of weeks ago - I've being quoted approx £350-£500 a year depending on whether I take 3/4/5 years, 1 service per year. 2 questions...do you think this is standard for a Volvo Manufacturer's service or would I be better served going to an independant? Also, has anyone ever used a service such as the below and got an opinion on it?

https://www.servicingstop.co.uk/Volv...SAAEgLeofD_BwE

Thanks in advance!
P
A Volvo service plan is paying a monthly fee for your servicing , you can cancel and get a refund at any time . It just spreads the cost over time .
£350-£500 a year is a bit excessive . just under £300 is about right for the 18000 mile service and £400 for the 36000 mile service , these alternate up to 90000 miles when you have a cambelt and Aux belt .

The fee 3 or 5 year servicing with a new car is a bargain and should be taken advantage of .
Old May 21st, 2019, 23:33   #6
e123

With servicing at the franchised Volvo dealer, you also get free Volvo Assist for the year.
e123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2019, 12:17   #7
Fluffcat

Default Service costs

I have just been advised that the 2nd year service for my V40 D2 with 12340 miles will be £445.00 at the main dealer - am I correct in assuming I need a dealer service to maintain the manufacturer warranty or can I go elsewhere for half the price?
Fluffcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2019, 12:28   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffcat View Post
I have just been advised that the 2nd year service for my V40 D2 with 12340 miles will be £445.00 at the main dealer - am I correct in assuming I need a dealer service to maintain the manufacturer warranty or can I go elsewhere for half the price?
As long as they use the correct parts and methods you can go anywhere , Be very careful they use the correct volvo 0w/20 VCC RBS0-2AE specification it is unique to volvo . Beware you get what you pay for , it is unwise to skimp servicing so early in the car's life . You will not get any current software updates which cure small bugs discovered that is not just engine but the whole car software is updated , you don't get free breakdown cover for the next year .. and above all you do not get the same level of technical knowledge as a dealer . as an example ask your £222 servicer when the cam belt etc should be renewed and report back here afterwards ... and it is highly likely you will get oil level fault messages a few days after the service ...

Due to your low mileage your dealer is supposed to talk to you about their "essential" service which is a lot cheaper .
Old May 22nd, 2019, 13:17   #9
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

As he ^^ said ask about the e-service. My mothers C30 is 11 years old and has 32,000 miles on it - we've been getting e-services every other year. Not all manufacturers offer such a thing - a good thing Volvo do.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2019, 15:20   #10
Fluffcat

Thanks for the advice, I will speak to the dealer and see what they say...
Fluffcat is offline   Reply With Quote