Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo V40 D4 (2015) Battery problem

Views : 4043

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 14th, 2018, 21:58   #1
MalmoV40

Angry Volvo V40 D4 (2015) Battery problem

Battery is completely discharged. Could not open doors. Output 3.5 V - is it completely dead? It has completely discharged for just ~4 days.
Does it make sense to try to charge it?

I tried to remove the battery, but i couldn't remove this top plastic thing

On the right ok, but on the left side it does not release. I afraid to break something. How to do it correctly?
MalmoV40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 22:05   #2
MalmoV40

I tried to jump start by connecting other running volvo car battery to my battery, but engine barely rotated. Could dead battery prevent this start?

Can i jump start with other car battery and then change to other battery while a car still running?
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 11:11   #3
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Godmorgon, 'MalmoV40'! I have no experience of the V40, but it is most unusual for any battery to fail after only three years unless it was faulty - is yours still covered by guarantee? If yes, I would take the matter up with the dealer.

If not, and you are on your own, a long, slow trickle charge may revive the battery - avoid 'fast' charging, which can further damage a failing battery.

If you are successful in reviving the battery, you need to find out why it went flat in the first place to avoid having a repeat performance! I find the solar panel trickle chargers that connect to the battery with 'crocodile' clips useful for maintaining a charge if you are not using the car very much. I don't know if these are available in Sweden, but are often obtainable from Aldi in the UK.

Finally, it is not recommended to run any car without a battery in circuit, so it is probably not a good idea to start on one battery and then fit another. Wouldn't a set of good quality jump leads overcome this difficulty?

I'm sure others with specific knowledge of the V40 will give you more informed answers. The above is only a generalisation based on many years of car ownership.

MVH, John.
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 11:20   #4
MalmoV40

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Godmorgon, 'MalmoV40'! I have no experience of the V40, but it is most unusual for any battery to fail after only three years unless it was faulty - is yours still covered by guarantee? If yes, I would take the matter up with the dealer.

If not, and you are on your own, a long, slow trickle charge may revive the battery - avoid 'fast' charging, which can further damage a failing battery.

If you are successful in reviving the battery, you need to find out why it went flat in the first place to avoid having a repeat performance! I find the solar panel trickle chargers that connect to the battery with 'crocodile' clips useful for maintaining a charge if you are not using the car very much. I don't know if these are available in Sweden, but are often obtainable from Aldi in the UK.

Finally, it is not recommended to run any car without a battery in circuit, so it is probably not a good idea to start on one battery and then fit another. Wouldn't a set of good quality jump leads overcome this difficulty?

I'm sure others with specific knowledge of the V40 will give you more informed answers. The above is only a generalisation based on many years of car ownership.

MVH, John.
Hello John,

Thanks.
I was unlucky to have 2 bad jump leads, they were not capable to transfer so much current, they almost started to melt during the process.
The Following User Says Thank You to MalmoV40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 11:53   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalmoV40 View Post
I tried to jump start by connecting other running volvo car battery to my battery, but engine barely rotated. Could dead battery prevent this start?

Can i jump start with other car battery and then change to other battery while a car still running?
connect the jump leads then wait about 15 minutes before trying to start the car , put the black jump lead on the metal body or engine rather than the battery negative terminal .
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 10:18   #6
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

I wonder if 'MalmoV40' ever did get his car started in the end, 'Clan'?

Regards, John.
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 11:15   #7
MalmoV40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
connect the jump leads then wait about 15 minutes before trying to start the car , put the black jump lead on the metal body or engine rather than the battery negative terminal .
You are right, i did jump starting incorrectly by connecting 2 battery minuses instead of to the body.

I guess the reason it was flat, that i closed and leaved a car for a few days while it was saying Ignition ON - i don't really understand this message. Engine was not working at that moment.

I was able to remove the battery and charged it at home successfully. It was not easy to remove the battery comparing to my other cars. I will post about it a bit later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volvo1.jpg (31.9 KB, 16 views)
Old May 28th, 2019, 16:13   #8
vladdamache

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalmoV40 View Post
You are right, i did jump starting incorrectly by connecting 2 battery minuses instead of to the body.

I guess the reason it was flat, that i closed and leaved a car for a few days while it was saying Ignition ON - i don't really understand this message. Engine was not working at that moment.

I was able to remove the battery and charged it at home successfully. It was not easy to remove the battery comparing to my other cars. I will post about it a bit later.
Hi,

Can you please help me with some instructions on how to remove the battery as mine is pretty much gone and would like to replace it?
Other than removing and charging the battery, did you have to check for/clear any errors with any of the electronic systems in the car or have had to recalibrate any of them?

Thanks in advance for your response,
Vlad
vladdamache is offline   Reply With Quote