Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Michelin CrossClimate SUV

Views : 3234

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 20th, 2019, 17:37   #1
S60Chris
Master Member

Default Michelin CrossClimate SUV

Looking to put some of these on the XC90 (17 Plate XC90 Inscription, 20" Wheels, Air Suspension) as the original Contisilents are now just dipping below 3mm after 25k miles.

Has anyone got any experience of these tyres on this car? I have a set of CrossClimate+'s on my Passat and like them (although Snow performance isn't that great) but wanted to see what people think of these on the Volvo...

Black Circles are 10% off until tomorrow so want to get on this as a full set comes in at under £850 fitted.

Have read good things about the Latitude 3's on here but thinking if I'm replacing all 4 then I may as well go with the CC's, the noise rating is the same.

Cheers.
The Following User Says Thank You to S60Chris For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2019, 19:15   #2
Ringthane
VOC Member

I had them on my previous XC60 and was very happy with them. They were quieter than the stock tyres, Pirelli P Zero I think, and the grip was good, even in light snow. I was very pleased with them, although some here found dry grip to be less than they had hoped, but I didn't find it an issue.

I will be replacing the Michelin’s that came with my car, with Crossclimates, once they reach 3mm.

PS. I got a bit excited when I saw a winter tyre thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ringthane For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2019, 21:53   #3
S60Chris
Master Member

...Ordered to be fitted at Tesco on Friday.

From what I can read online they are a great all round tyre, not quite as good as the best summers in the summer (although not far off with dry braking performance, wet braking is mid range) and not as good as a winter in the snow but has a good mix of qualities. Should be perfect for the XC90 and a safe choice to leave on all year round.
Old May 20th, 2019, 22:21   #4
Capt109

Put these on my V90 CC last September. Have done around 14k on them since and have been happy with them. They were excellent in the cold weather and handled ice and snow around Penrith in Jan with no problems

They still look new with around 6mm left at present. Will replace with the same once they need changing. At the time they were £5 more than the latitude sports.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt109 For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2019, 09:09   #5
James77

The car will be shod with them this winter when I head to the Alps for a couple of ski holidays seems a good mix of summer/winter and of course they carry the 3PMSF logo so legal in Europe.

My only quandary is chains, apparently they are difficult to source even for the 235/55/19 tyres/wheels I have you have to buy the side mounting version which are hideously expensive for the rare (possibly unlikely) even they'll be used. I understand the correct snow sock brand is recognised as an acceptable alternative. Views and options would be appreciated?
James77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2019, 09:27   #6
nigelt28

I put some on about 3 months ago. Very pleased with them. Have heard they degrade quickly in summer but will see.

I hope to use them next winter in the Alps.

Interesting tread pattern!

I also have the Thule K-Summit chains which are pretty much the only ones which don't cause an issue with the suspension but are fairly expensive (£400). Have never had to use them either!

Last edited by nigelt28; May 21st, 2019 at 09:33.
nigelt28 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nigelt28 For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2019, 10:51   #7
jonnyu

If you use these tires under mild temperatures, they work fine. So just avoid doing trips to the southern region of Europe or mountain regions during spring/summer because the high temperatures (>35º C on the tarmac) will deform the tires.
Old May 21st, 2019, 21:54   #8
S60Chris
Master Member

How do you mean deform the tyres?

Interestingly I was driving home today. Bone dry, nice weather, in my Passat which has Cross Climate + tyres on. Plenty of tread.

I was struggling for traction on a number of roads - the traction control light was coming on under full acceleration through 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear and the car was super squirrely.

It's AWD and very very sure of itself so it's very unusual to have the traction control light come on *ever* - even in the pouring rain - so not sure what was going on.

Maybe the pressures need adjusting, TPMS was reading 42psi. 'Comfort' should be 38 but 'standard' is 41 so it's not a great deal off.

Odd.
Old May 21st, 2019, 22:18   #9
Crockers
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyu View Post
If you use these tires under mild temperatures, they work fine. So just avoid doing trips to the southern region of Europe or mountain regions during spring/summer because the high temperatures (>35º C on the tarmac) will deform the tires.
I think a statement like this ought to be backed up with evidence.
Old May 21st, 2019, 23:34   #10
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

I do ca 30,000 miles a year and about 4 months ago stuck a set of cross climates on.

Snow came down and they were very good, very very good! Compared to my Avon winter tyres they lost a bit on soft snow but only a little and on hrs compacted snow were on a par.

In the dry and normal weather they were great!

They replaced premicy 4 on rear and budget tyres on front. I would have no hesitation in buying again and feel confident to use as a set all year rather than separate summer and winter.

I have used them at 25c with no issues.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote