Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How Do I Test the Fuse Box

Views : 619

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 30th, 2020, 01:42   #1
ddininio

Default How Do I Test the Fuse Box

Hi All,

I have '64 122s in Toronto, Canada. I pulled the motor, freshen it up, painted the bay and put it all back together again. Turned it over the motor runs beautiful. However, it seems that I have not power going to my headlights, rear lights or any other accessories. I suspect it might be the fuse box. How do I test to see if there is power going through the fuse box?

Also, I have one long black wire with female spade wire connectors on both ends. I have no idea where it goes as I guess I didn't label it when I pulled everything apart. Looks like it one end probably goes to the fuse box but not sure where the other goes. It is not part of the main wiring harness.

Any help to figure out if I have power or where that black wire goes would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dave
ddininio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2020, 09:23   #2
arcturus
arcturus

Check and clean to bright all the contact surfaces in the fuse box. Black is usually ground but others will know for sure..
Old Mar 30th, 2020, 11:03   #3
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

1 check with a mulimeter if voltage is at the power side
2 check with a multimeter if voltage is at the "fused" ( safe) side
3 add a load, like a bulb, at the fused side and measure voltage drop over the fuse. And over the sockets of the wires. There should be no drop
This fuse boxes are prone to be faulty

Good luck, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2020, 12:40   #4
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Dave;

"I have not power going to my headlights, rear lights or any other accessories" ...Reference Wiring Diagram: (Battery) Power to Headlight switch is supplied by way of a Blk wire from Terminal 30 of Ign Switch, where an even fatter Blk wire brings power from Battery (by way of Solenoid terminal)...so you can see Fuses have nothing to do with Headlights (except Marker/Parking/Instrument Lighting which is powered by way of Fuse 3).

Remember: Color code of Wiring Diagram is your friend!

Good Hunting!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2020, 17:42   #5
simonvolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddininio View Post
Also, I have one long black wire with female spade wire connectors on both ends. I have no idea where it goes as I guess I didn't label it when I pulled everything apart. Looks like it one end probably goes to the fuse box but not sure where the other goes. It is not part of the main wiring harness.
How about the connection from the reverse light relay (not the fuse box, but near it) to the reverse light switch at the back of the gearbox? The wire is separate from the rest of the wiring loom.
simonvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2020, 01:14   #6
ddininio

Hi Ron,

Do you have link to where I can find a coloured wiring diagram. I usually use obs2.autoscout24 but the site is no longer active. Is there a site you use?
ddininio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2020, 07:35   #7
c1800
Master Member

This might be of some help, I can’t vouch for it though.

https://sometimesawitch.blogspot.com...g-diagram.html

I bought an 11x17 laminated colored diagram from Prosperos garage, very useful.

https://colorwiringdiagrams.com/
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2020, 13:42   #8
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

dd;

Wire colors are noted on the WD I linked, and that's all I need. I've seen some reworked WDs where someone has take the time and effort to actually draw the lines in the corresponding color and thickness for gauge, (like first WD on c1800's link) which is cute, but I cant vouch for it either...

Good Hunting!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote