Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

No Brakes

Views : 580

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 24th, 2020, 18:01   #1
lynns hubby
Master Member

Default No Brakes

2002 V40 1.9 Deisel
As usual, I am away at work, away from home and my daughter emails to tell me she has NO BRAKES. Apparently the pedal goes all the way to the floor.
She said it had been getting increasingly difficult to stop over the last few days
I have asked her to check the fluid and she has reported that the level is fine.
I know that with out looking at it its difficult to be conclusive, but that would suggest to me that all the pipes etc are fine with no leaks and the problem lies with the master Cyl.
Any one got a spare for sale ? I don't mind if I find I don't need it as I will keep it as the car has plenty of life left (hopefully)

Last edited by lynns hubby; Mar 24th, 2020 at 18:02. Reason: typo
lynns hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 19:06   #2
gatos
Premier Member

If there are no visible leaks anywhere, then most probably the master cylinder seals indeed. You will need to double check though to make sure that none of the rubber hoses or metal pipes have a small leak.

I have a spare one from a GDI, and I am 99% sure it is the same on all manual cars, but I will need to check first

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 22:15   #3
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Have you asked her to try pumping the pedal to see if it gets harder, and then when she starts the engine, whether it sinks to the floor?

If she can build up the pressure that then goes, that's perhaps going to suggest a leaky servo.

I've driven a few vehicles that started doing that to me, scary, but at least I could get home before it was u/s.

It still won't be driveable for her, but it might be ok to be moved if you're going to do some work on it yourself.

Just a thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesStevenson For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2020, 09:54   #4
lynns hubby
Master Member

Thanks for the replies, the servo was my second thought but she will have to wait till I get home (late tomorrow night hopefully) and I can get it round and have a look. She is using my car for now.
I will check it out and see what's happening. Will PM you GATOS if I need the master cylinder. have you by any chance got a servo?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lynns hubby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2020, 13:25   #5
loelly

For what I know a defect servo has nothing to do with the brake pedal going to the floor.The servo is a power help so you don't have to push very hard to activate the brakes.The only way for flooring the pedal is air in the circuit or master cylinder leaking inside.
loelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loelly For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2020, 17:42   #6
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

It might be misinterpreting things, but I understood that if I was able to pump on a car brake pedal until it was 'stiff' and would hold at that height, if I then started the engine and the pedal sank, but if I quickly then pumped the pedal I could get back that pressure ... which would then sink until I ... (repeat and repeat), then that would be indicative of a leak in the servo.

I thought that air in the actual brake pipes couldn't be 'pumped' away in the above fashion so it'd have to be a servo issue, not leaking pipes, but if I'm wrong then that's ok with me, just what I understood.
Old Apr 1st, 2020, 09:41   #7
lynns hubby
Master Member

I have tried pumping the brake pedal repeatedly. I can not build up any pressure, the pedal just goes to the floor.
I am confident it is the master cylinder seals as there is NO fluid loss or leaks anywhere.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lynns hubby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2020, 09:25   #8
lynns hubby
Master Member

Just to keep you all up to speed, I fitted another Master Cylinder as supplied by Gatos and bled the whole system. Everything is back to normal now. SOLID PEDAL
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lynns hubby For This Useful Post: