Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Early style dashboard radio install

Views : 678

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 7th, 2019, 21:36   #1
spease1984

Default Early style dashboard radio install

Hello, I have a lovely 1979 245GL
Trouble is I would like to fit a radio with touchscreen for sat nav etc.
The location of the original radio is far to low to be looking at driving directions.

Looking at the dashboard I cannot see anywhere to do this.

The only possible place would be where the air vents and clock is.

However I cannot work out how to get this metal panel out, which I intent to cut to fit a single DIN radio with fold out screen there.

Does anyone know how this panel comes out or have any suggestions of where to fit a radio with screen when you have an older style dashboard.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Earlydashmetalplate.jpg (187.7 KB, 29 views)
spease1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 13:48   #2
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I am totally lost re the technicalities of this.

If you go ahead. PLEASE. PLEASE. Find obtain or preferably fabricate a spare panel to cut. Keep the original intact for any future owner. PLEASE.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 15:19   #3
spease1984

Hi,

the technicalities of this are that apart from the original location of the radio which is far far too low to use properly and responsibly I need to move the radio up further and this seems to be the only feasible location.

Therefore I need to know how to remove this metal plate piece of the dash so that I can install a radio here.

Thanks
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 20:13   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spease1984 View Post
Hi,

the technicalities of this are that apart from the original location of the radio which is far far too low to use properly and responsibly I need to move the radio up further and this seems to be the only feasible location.

Therefore I need to know how to remove this metal plate piece of the dash so that I can install a radio here.

Thanks
You work the standard radio by feel and with preset buttons so don't have to look at anything :-)
I think you are going to ruin the integrity and appeal of the car by hacking that around , The later dash from 1981 and later has been re worked to fit the radio up there .
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 16:37   #5
mylittletony
Master Member

Either use a standalone GPS or do a dash swap for the later one which has provision.

That plate is part of the dash structure, so you'll have to take the whole thing out anyway.

Butchering an early dash for a flip screen single DIN to get a sat nav in is a bizarre route to end up on.

This is coming from someone who fitted a gauge where the clock used to be on a 1979 245.
mylittletony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 21:57   #6
spease1984

Humm, ok so could I fit a later dashboard then?

Now thinking of making brackets to attach and come out like 'arms' to hold a small touch screen and hence not needing to cut anything about.
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 21:59   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spease1984 View Post
Humm, ok so could I fit a later dashboard then?

Now thinking of making brackets to attach and come out like 'arms' to hold a small touch screen and hence not needing to cut anything about.
You would probably have to change the steering column too as the steering lock is different .. heater demist hoses are different probably other things too .
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 12:39   #8
Derek UK
VOC Member

Do you need anything that a phone can't provide if it is properly set up? It can provide radio and canned music via an amp, and gps. There is no space for a double din unit.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2019, 19:45   #9
spease1984

I am very happy with using a phone but Big Brother Government says I am not allowed to touch my phone whilst driving but I can touch a radio that 'mirrors' it's screen; hence my desire for one.
Old Dec 26th, 2019, 12:26   #10
230ina245

Hi
I would say it's your car, you do what you want to it.
Personally I prefer the old school look which is why I still have the original radio in mine.
I would check regarding weakening the dash with what ever you cut out - maybe weld some bits on to strengthen it again.
I'm not familar with that dash, though I have cut the later one around. I got a spare dash & cut that (a lot easier when not in the car & less down time). I wanted to move the radio down to where yours is & mount 5 gauges where it used to be.
The later dash has a central radio speaker hole towards the windscreen - could you have the screen coming up from that area?
By the way, my radio is linked to a samsung tablet located in a super sneaky ninja secret location, which keeps the stock look but is readily available.
If you think about what you want from this, what devices are available that would provide what you want & use a bit of imagination on siting said devices, you could retain the stock look without upsetting people & make it more theft proof too.
Tim
230ina245 is offline   Reply With Quote