Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

440 speedo not working

Views : 1842

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2018, 09:21   #1
Devon Farmer

Default 440 speedo not working

Hi Guys, I'm new to this forum business so bear with me. I have a '96 440 GLT 2.0 auto and the speedo/mileometer intermittently works, but has got to the point where it now doesn't. With my electronics head on, I would say it is a cable/connector fault rather than sensors/speedo head unit and to that end have traced cables via a joint under the airbox to the sensor. If i was to put an ohm meter on the sensor connections what sort of reading should I get and so i need to spin the wheel to get a deviation of that reading, secondly could I inject a square wave signal into the cable going to the speedo head?
Cheers!
Devon Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2019, 20:26   #2
Devon Farmer

Default Update

I've got the sensor out finally having removed many engine parts to get at the really tight allen headded bolt, and then a bit of manipulation around the back of the motor with some pliers and 'tis out.
Have checked with an ohm meter and its open circuit, so paired cable back to within 2" of the sensor and still open circuit. So not the cable then. Some kindly soul suggested that as it may be a magnetic sensor, moving it over a bit of metal may cause it to change..Nope! so on the search for a replacement now. Does anyone know if the same sensor used in the auto box is also in the 5 speed box?
Will update if search fruitful.
Old Feb 6th, 2019, 20:53   #3
dralphs

Skandix show it as discontinued
http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...speed/1006780/

part no. 1006780 for Manual or 4 speed auto

Partsforvolvos online also don't show it. May need to ask parts factor or email rufe at swansea
dralphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2019, 23:54   #4
bob12
bob12

Whilst I am not into 440's your thread caught my eye being top of the listing .... what make o.e.m. cluster is fitted to your car as I may just be able to help? Bob.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2019, 10:04   #5
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I remember fixing the speedo on my 1989 440 Turbo several times. I got the car when it was 4 years old and it already had a new speedo head and a new cable had been run from the back of the cluster.

It would die but then start working again when you went over a big bump. Eventually fixed by re-soldering all of the connections, though I had to remove and refit the sensor whilst doing that so it may be related.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 14:51   #6
Devon Farmer

Hi Bob, it is the '96 electronic cluster. and it has all been resoldered! Am currently working with a motorfactor for a suitable replacement sensor. It is Inductive I believe and as such is a coil so it would have some form of resistance/impedance. Mine is completely open circuit.
Will post when I get some sort of result from the Factor. Cheers!
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 21:04   #7
triumphtoledo

Default re

I had speedo issues on my 460 Turbo (1990) and 2.0-litre 480ES (1993) both times it was the connector that is under the battery tray.

R
triumphtoledo is offline   Reply With Quote