Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lambda sensor wiring question

Views : 521

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 10:23   #1
Daz86

Default Lambda sensor wiring question

Hi all just a quick question about lambda sensor wiring .

I’ve Gota v70 2.5t and I’m wanting to fit a air fuel ratio gauge wich should be arriving today . But for the life of me I can’t find out via the internet wich wire is the signal wire for a 5 wire wideband lambda bank 1 . On a normal lambda it’s the black wire normally but I can’t find any info regarding the 5 wire
Daz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 11:16   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz86 View Post
Hi all just a quick question about lambda sensor wiring .

I’ve Gota v70 2.5t and I’m wanting to fit a air fuel ratio gauge wich should be arriving today . But for the life of me I can’t find out via the internet wich wire is the signal wire for a 5 wire wideband lambda bank 1 . On a normal lambda it’s the black wire normally but I can’t find any info regarding the 5 wire
what year? Volvo's lambda sensors are fairly sophisticated and have been digital for quite some time ... You need an analogue 0.1v to 1.0 volt type i guess . When you do fit a gauge which works you will find it boringly around 1 lambda most of the time !
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 15:56   #3
Daz86

Thanks for the reply . It’s a 2003 2.5t . I’m positive my cars running lean . I’ve just bought a cheap eBay jobby . It’s got a needle and hopefully will tell me if it optimal rich or lean. This is the eBay item number 401818814525. Probably a load of rubbish and won’t work on my car lol

Last edited by Daz86; Jul 22nd, 2019 at 16:03.
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 16:07   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

Why not just use cheap diagnostics to view the live fuel trim figures?
No specific tool required.
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 16:30   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz86 View Post
Thanks for the reply . It’s a 2003 2.5t . I’m positive my cars running lean . I’ve just bought a cheap eBay jobby . It’s got a needle and hopefully will tell me if it optimal rich or lean. This is the eBay item number 401818814525. Probably a load of rubbish and won’t work on my car lol
You will get a fault code if the lambda sensor is not working properly,
have you checked the fuel pressure under load ?

Heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) diagnostic

The front heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) is a lineal type and functions with current control. Therefore it is not possible to measure the signals from the heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) using a multimeter. The rear heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) is a binary type as with earlier heated oxygen sensors (HO2S).
The Engine Control Module (ECM) checks the heated oxygen sensors (HO2S) when the conditions for diagnostics have been fulfilled.

The following faults can be registered by the control module:

Electrical fault in the circuits for the heated oxygen sensors (HO2S) and for the heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) preheating
Adaptation.The control module checks that the long-term fuel trim is not higher or lower than the pre-defined values
Large difference between the front and rear heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) adaptation.The control module checks that the difference between the rear and front heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) adaptation is not too great. The fault may be in the front or rear heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) or the wiring
Heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) dynamics.The control module checks that the changeover period between rich and lean mixtures is not too long
Unlikely signals between the front and rear heated oxygen sensors (HO2S).When the control module registers a rich mixture in the front probe at the same time that a lean mixture is registered in the rear probe or vice versa.
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 18:37   #6
Daz86

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Why not just use cheap diagnostics to view the live fuel trim figures?
No specific tool required.
I’ve got a decent code reader that reads live data . Fuel trim levels ae on the low side . I’ve lent it to a mate of mine rally need to get it back
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 18:47   #7
Daz86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
You will get a fault code if the lambda sensor is not working properly,
have you checked the fuel pressure under load ?

Heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) diagnostic

The front heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) is a lineal type and functions with current control. Therefore it is not possible to measure the signals from the heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) using a multimeter. The rear heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) is a binary type as with earlier heated oxygen sensors (HO2S).
The Engine Control Module (ECM) checks the heated oxygen sensors (HO2S) when the conditions for diagnostics have been fulfilled.

The following faults can be registered by the control module:

Electrical fault in the circuits for the heated oxygen sensors (HO2S) and for the heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) preheating
Adaptation.The control module checks that the long-term fuel trim is not higher or lower than the pre-defined values
Large difference between the front and rear heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) adaptation.The control module checks that the difference between the rear and front heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) adaptation is not too great. The fault may be in the front or rear heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) or the wiring
Heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) dynamics.The control module checks that the changeover period between rich and lean mixtures is not too long
Unlikely signals between the front and rear heated oxygen sensors (HO2S).When the control module registers a rich mixture in the front probe at the same time that a lean mixture is registered in the rear probe or vice versa.
I’ve checked the fuel pressure at idle sits at 60psi at the rail witch i think is quite a lot maybe blocked injectors ? I’m unable to check it under load unless change the setup .