Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 D5 horn always on!

Views : 2067

Replies : 57

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 11:28   #1
Pras1011

Default S60 D5 horn always on!

The horn went off and was permanently sounding. It sounded long enough that one of the horns burnt out and then I think a fuse blew, which stopped the sounding. Whilst it was sounding countiniusly I hit the steering wheel (out of embarrassment and frustration) and it stopped but then went off. And so on. And then the hitting stopped working!

The mechanic refitted a fuse and disconnected the horns. But when he reconnected the working horn, it’s starts sounding. Mechanic doesn’t know how to fix it.

Is there a fix for this?
Pras1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 11:42   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pras1011 View Post
The horn went off and was permanently sounding. It sounded long enough that one of the horns burnt out and then I think a fuse blew, which stopped the sounding. Whilst it was sounding countiniusly I hit the steering wheel (out of embarrassment and frustration) and it stopped but then went off. And so on. And then the hitting stopped working!

The mechanic refitted a fuse and disconnected the horns. But when he reconnected the working horn, it’s starts sounding. Mechanic doesn’t know how to fix it.

Is there a fix for this?
it just needs diagnosing , first place to start is the steering wheel switches :-)
Take it to a more proficient mechanic or preferably a technician ..
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 13:58   #3
Pras1011

Where are the steering switches located and how do I check them?
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 14:11   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Where are the steering switches located and how do I check them?
they are under the part of the steering wheel which you press . Not that easy to get off unless you have the knack , spring clips have to be released and you have to get the air bag out with it , If you don't know it is best not to attempt it or it could be costly .
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 21:36   #5
Pras1011

I think a connector inside the steering is not working. Changing the steering wheel is the cheapest option for me. Are all s60 steering wheels the same?
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 22:10   #6
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Are all s60 steering wheels the same?
No so try to match part numbers and model years.
Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 09:52   #7
Pras1011

Could the clock spring cause the horn problem?
Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 10:06   #8
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Could the clock spring cause the horn problem?
I can't see how.
Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 11:07   #9
Pras1011

Ok thanks.

Is there a step by step guide on changing the steering wheel?

Is it easy? I will off course disconnect the battery as I don’t want the air bag going off in my face!!
Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 12:50   #10
petey
Master Member

Before poking around in a steering wheel, especially if one is inexperienced in removing airbags (another job not too dissimilar to the coil spring removal. Dead easy to do, but frightening as you like whilst you do it), I would want to see some confirmation that it's the steering wheel switch.

I accept it's likely, especially after clouting it one and the state changed, but the horn button signal goes through the watch spring and into the loom by the column. From there, it goes to the CEM by the driver's right knee (assuming RHD). From there the supply to the horns is switched on. Banging on the column could have knocked the failing relay or short or whatever's wrong, say in the CEM?
I cannot recall if they are earth switched (i.e. they are permanently fed and the earth return, via the switch or a relay dependant on the switch, completes the circuit.) If that were the case, then if a rubbed wire found itself against something metal, that could give you the problem you have. You could be poking around the steering wheel trying to find a problem that's actually at the other end of the car.

If it were me, I suppose I probably would start poking around the horn switch because I've done it plenty enough times already, but the proper method really should be determining where the short is before taking too much apart.

I guess I'm suggesting don't be too certain you know exactly where the problem is, you can only have a guess.
petey is offline   Reply With Quote