Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Soot Filter driving me crazy...HELP !

Views : 123479

Replies : 276

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 17th, 2010, 14:46   #21
andy_d
Premier Member

being blunt here its a Very good reason Not to buy Any "new" diesel engined one.
if its "soots up" and limps, then its clearly Not fit for the purpose > to transport you A-B.
all this "But you need...." , no a car is a Car it Should do what YOU require it to do , ie A-B , not "but you have do drive like...."

buy a petrol ,or more to the point return these affected cars To the dealer ,as they are clearly unfit for the purpose and in far too many circumstances and situations plain Dangerous. make volvo swap them for petrol engined ones.
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 15:17   #22
Jim314
Premier Member

Another discussion mentions a recall in which there is a software change to the regeneration program for the particle filter http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=95323. Has your vehicle been recalled? If not, you should ask the dealer about this.

As I understand it the main point of this recall is rise in the engine oil level due to diesel fuel getting into the oil, but even if you have not had a rise in oil level it's possible that the revised regeneration program may be a benefit to the problem the DPF getting sooted up when it is driven on a lot of short trips.
Jim314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 15:29   #23
Dynosaur
GoldMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
That's never going to be my style I'm afraid.

What about if you're on a motorway and there's and jam and you have to spend 2 hours stuck in traffic. It's happened to me more than once. I spent over 2 hours on the Chiswick roundabout gridlocked some years ago.
I think I'd have turned my engine off.
The low-gear high-rev cycle's only for when the filter warning shows up.
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 17:08   #24
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynosaur View Post
I think I'd have turned my engine off.
The low-gear high-rev cycle's only for when the filter warning shows up.
Trouble is you had to inch (literally) forward every five minuets and I was listening to a CD to keep sane.
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 23:54   #25
chunderground
xc90 exec black+privacy

Given the level of buy-backs of mis-sold DPF cars across
all manufacturers; are Ford thinking the problem is unfixable and considering crushing them?
I'm told that the dealers have irate customers looking at their fully paid-for car through
the compound fence - and they are not even allowed to let them sit in
it.

extract from honest john thread refers to ford kuga
chunderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 13:40   #26
AndyPro

Default Outside the box thinking....

Or just connecting some dots incorrectly, but:

I just read through this thread after checking out a thread on another D5 with a smoky exhaust. I'm wondering if the DPF in Euro 4 and later engines can be masking so some degree another problem - perhaps excessive smoking from a ruptured Intercooler, or IC piping, or some other breathing problem. I guess also a faulty or out of spec MAF for example could also cause poor combustion and excess soot.

Just a thought.

Andy
AndyPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 02:18   #27
chunderground
xc90 exec black+privacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim314 View Post
Another discussion mentions a recall in which there is a software change to the regeneration program for the particle filter http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=95323. Has your vehicle been recalled? If not, you should ask the dealer about this.

As I understand it the main point of this recall is rise in the engine oil level due to diesel fuel getting into the oil, but even if you have not had a rise in oil level it's possible that the revised regeneration program may be a benefit to the problem the DPF getting sooted up when it is driven on a lot of short trips.
MY10 models have the software upgrade at manufacture. I have read that the bio fuel component in standard diesel (5-8 %) gets into the sump and raises the oil level. Shell V-power uses liquified gas rather than bio diesel and burns cleaner so the DPF does not build up soot and require regeneration.
Thats my understanding so far, I am using V-power all the time now will report back on the results in the future.
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 11:06   #28
grainqey
Master Member

i just drive mine fast...all the time :P except when its cold lol never had any of these silly warning messages, maybe it should say- i need some abuse or i will self destruct lol "hammer me or die" lmao!
mines EulV facelift btw not the blue prefacelift as my avatar suggests
grainqey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 11:25   #29
Jim314
Premier Member

Here's the story as I understand it. I don't think biodiesel causes extra soot over petroleum diesel.

The claim by Volvo was that some diesel at the ordinary pump contains 5 - 8 % biodiesel, but this seems unsupported by any evidence. I don't see any reason why oil companies would add any biodiesel to their fuel. Biodiesel costs more than petroleum diesel and is not a product of the oil companies. And if the retail sellers of fuel would add biodiesel, wouldn't they have to report this to regulatory authorities and to the consumer? In the US petrol pumps for motor cars state that the fuel may contain up to 10 % ethanol. By contrast diesel pumps do not state anything about the possible presence of biodiesel.

In the US one has to go to identified purveyors of biodiesel to get either pure biodiesel or biodiesel mixed with petroleum diesel. Some people add biodiesel to their fuel tank themselves in the belief it would be a benefit to the environment. And biodiesel mixes up to 10 % or so are apparently fine in any modern diesel unless the fuel system uses an extra delivery of fuel into the cylinders to raise exhaust temperatures to regenerate a DPF.

Here is the problem as I understand it. There are two ways to introduce extra fuel into the exhaust stream to raise the exhaust temperature:

(1) Use a separate injector located in the exhaust manifold (or pipe?) to introduce extra fuel into the exhaust stream. This system is used on certain large diesel commercial engines and allows the use of biodiesel mixes even with a DPF.

(2) Program the fuel system to use the regular injectors to give an extra squirt of fuel into the cylinders during the exhaust stroke (during the DPF regeneration cycle only). This mixes with the exhaust gasses and is pushed out by the piston as it expells the exhaust gasses. But after the power stroke the insides of the cylinders are relatively cool and if fuel containing biodiesel is sprayed into the cylinder, the biodiesel (which is less volatile than petroleum diesel) condenses to or remains a liquid on the cylinder walls. The petroleum diesel is volatile enough to be gasified and get swept out the exhaust valves.

But as the piston advances the liquid film of biodiesel on the cylinder wall is forced past the compression and oil rings and gets into the sump. I don't have it straight whether this is thought to occur on the exhaust stroke or on the subsequent compression stroke.

So over time the oil in the sump gets contaminated with fuel and the oil level in the sump rises to a level significantly above the max. It can supposedly rise so high that the sump oil begins to squeeze by the rings and thereby give rise to a runaway diesel where the engine is fueled through the sump, speeds uncontrolled to high power output and self destruction.
Jim314 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim314 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 13:33   #30
chunderground
xc90 exec black+privacy

governments are pressuring oil companies to blend bio diesel with mineral diesel as they subsidise the growing of bio fuels.

I dont think volvo are lying about the bio diesel content in most fuel.
the argument is that shell V-power contains Liquified gas which has a far lower soot output than mineral diesel.
The bio diesel does its damage by finding its way into the sump and causes oil levels to rise and will not evaporate like mineral diesel fuels.

below is just one example of so many threads where bio diesel is considered to be present in most diesel fuel.
I shall definately be sticking with v-power the lower soot output alone must be better for the engine / soot filter apart from avoiding build up of bio fuel in the sump.

http://www.biodieselfillingstations.co.uk/

I noticed the same thing on Thursday night when I filled up, but even though V power was 3p more I filled up with that, and what a difference it feels more responsive as if I have gained another 10BHP, the proof was in the mileage 200 miles for a quarter of a tank full to the first quarter mark, in town running :thumbup: and less gear changing

I thought about it when I saw the 7% and something stuck in my mind that Bio was not good for VW engines, something to do with the pump not being lubricated
This post has been edited by skippy41: 07 February 2010 - 16:21

Posted 07 February 2010 - 23:01
I'd guess it's so they can say we told you so at the pump should you have any problems in the future.

Last edited by chunderground; Jun 19th, 2010 at 14:07.
The Following User Says Thank You to chunderground For This Useful Post: