Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My new addition..advice on warranty etc

Views : 1102

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 31st, 2011, 08:35   #1
fossway

Default My new addition..advice on warranty etc

Hi after a year of T6 fuel bills I have bought a gorgeous 185bhp D5 '55' plate privately for £11k which I am very pleased with. There obviously is no warranty and I was thinking of 'buying' a warranty mainly for piece of mind. has anyone purchased one before . The car has covered 90000 and has FSH.
Cheers folks
fossway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 19:11   #2
The Painter

congratulations on your new purchase.

Read carefully before you sign up for a warranty, I`m sure there are some good ones out there but most will contain severe limitations as to how much is actually covered in the small print.
The Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 19:35   #3
chrisrixy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Painter View Post
congratulations on your new purchase.

Read carefully before you sign up for a warranty, I`m sure there are some good ones out there but most will contain severe limitations as to how much is actually covered in the small print.
I totally agree with the above comment.
On my V70 D5 I had 2 claims on a Warranty Direct extended warranty. The claims process was simple, and they paid up quick. Both repairs were fairly expensive, so the warranty certainly paid for itself.
However while an injector was covered, the pipe and various other bits were not etc. There are lots of exclusions. And as the car gets older / mileage higher the percentage they pay for parts drops to about 60% I think, and the maximum hourly rate for labour charges might well be lower than a main dealer.
Also check you have the required service history etc as if you miss a service the warranty may become invalid.

So read the full policy carefully before you sign up. I took out the same policy on my previous '04 XC90 and never claimed...
chrisrixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 19:56   #4
Kwozzymodo

As well as the cost of the warranty, you will need to factor in the Warranty Excess as well. If the warranty costs £400 and you have a £100 excess, you will need to make claims in excess of £500 in order to get the benefit of the cover. Also, you may be asked to make an aditional contribution on parts/labour, depending on the age of the car.
Kwozzymodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 21:37   #5
Stevie_B

I just took my warranty out tonight with Warranty Direct. I done the quote online and it came out at £430. I then chnaged to independent servicing & repairs and it came down to £370.

I left it at that, Warranty Direct called me the next night to see if I wanted to take it out. I never had the car at that point and asked them to call back. They did tonight.

I made the usual "I am thinking about it noises", they bumped the cover up a level and brought the cost down to £320, paid in 4 installments over 4 months. The excess is £50.

I can't remember the cover level I got, I'll update the post once the paperwork comes through, it was about the middle level I think.
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 22:20   #6
740T
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie_B View Post
I just took my warranty out tonight with Warranty Direct. I done the quote online and it came out at £430. I then chnaged to independent servicing & repairs and it came down to £370.

I left it at that, Warranty Direct called me the next night to see if I wanted to take it out. I never had the car at that point and asked them to call back. They did tonight.

I made the usual "I am thinking about it noises", they bumped the cover up a level and brought the cost down to £320, paid in 4 installments over 4 months. The excess is £50.

I can't remember the cover level I got, I'll update the post once the paperwork comes through, it was about the middle level I think.
That sounds very reasonable! Sounds like you got a good deal.
740T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 18:46   #7
Stevie_B

Got the paperwork today, the cover level was Extra Care. Which looks to be the best for the age of the car (6 years). The others better than that policy level seem to start at 4 years old.
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 20:03   #8
harvey07
Master Member

Interesting thread. I have a 2007 D5 Geartronic (55k) coming my way in the next month & will have the same dilemma. While it has a FVSH, one service was done a couple of months late, whilst in the dealers hands (between the 1st & 2nd owners) - so not sure how that would be viewed by ay warranty cover company.

I took out a 2 year extended on my current car & 1yr + in, I haven't claimed (not a Volvo BTW). The existing owners of the D5 took out an Autocare warranty but when they tried to claim for an ABS repair, listed as covered, it wasn't - WTF ?!

Anyway - thanks for the heads up on cost & the WD tactic (confirms what I'd heard before). Will consider them if I do go that route...rather than tucking a few quid under the mattress ! Is that Indy or Dealer rates BTW?
harvey07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 20:37   #9
Stevie_B

That was for indy rates. Paying up to £60 per hour labour.