Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My S40 Badly Damaged!

Views : 18718

Replies : 179

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 20:22   #171
kebab10
Premier Member

So come on Zeb, what DID happen?
kebab10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 20:51   #172
spanner110
Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebab10 View Post
So come on Zeb, what DID happen?
Like he says, he parked up in a quiet cul-de-sac for five minutes and upon returning, found that some disrespectful oik had bished up his ride using a combination of a motorcycle and a kerbstone. I know this is a fast paced thread but do please try and keep up......
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 14:15   #173
kebab10
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner110 View Post
Like he says, he parked up in a quiet cul-de-sac for five minutes and upon returning, found that some disrespectful oik had bished up his ride using a combination of a motorcycle and a kerbstone. I know this is a fast paced thread but do please try and keep up......
Oh and there's me thinking that he made a balls up and came up with a fairy tale. Come on, we want truth!
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 15:12   #174
nbuuifx

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner110 View Post
Don't forget that the oik also dented in the side of his car, and then managed to go back in time to add the dents so they would appear on an old picture of the car
nbuuifx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 16:04   #175
spanner110
Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbuuifx View Post
Don't forget that the oik also dented in the side of his car, and then managed to go back in time to add the dents so they would appear on an old picture of the car
Oh crikey I forgot about that. I don't think that 'kebab10' fully gets my dry humour.....
I wonder if Zeb would submit to regressive hypnotherapy, that's the only way I can see the truth being known. But in the mean time keep your eyes open for invisible motorcyclists in quiet cul-de-sac's
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 20:34   #176
kebab10
Premier Member

Dry humour. I have pi**ed myself laughing. Better than the telly.
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 20:51   #177
Daim
Brit in Germany

A good liar will believe his own lies after a few weeks!

A bad liar won't and will invent new things all the time!
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 21:03   #178
v50inred

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
Zeb, I would still be concerned about the front end??

That steering wheel was well out of alignment with it being tilted so far to the left, this sort of outage can only come from damage. You need to get this investigated as I suspect you have a bent track rod and/or track rod end, possibly the drop link too.

The steering wheel may have been straightened out but the undelying problem will not have been. This could potentially cause the car to be dangerous to drive and unstable at speed.

There has to be something wrong with the front too.

I think the rear misalignment alone can explain the wheel needing turned to the left to keep the vehicle going straight.

The rear wheel has been hit and pushed rearward by the kerb.

This will result in the car wanting to turn to the right all the time.

To negate this effect zeb is turning to the left all the time.

I don't think there is anything amiss at the front end.

Unless zeb hit the front wheel off the kerb at the same time.

This entire incident is a good advert for putting decent tyres on your car if you like to press on a bit.

Cheapies are acceptable in most everyday driving situations. But will show their weaknesses if you push them nearer to their limits.

When a more premium brand tyre will tend to break loose a little bit more predictably a cheapie may well just let go with little warning.

Though some cheap tyres are surprisingly capable.

The Nankang NS2 is a case in point, had them on a Legacy and they were excellent tyres.

But the ones on zeb's car look like the ones you get as part of a wheel and tyre package.

The truth shall set you free..........
v50inred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 22:47   #179
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
This would indicate the front has also suffered some damage too which then on reflection of the damage once more I see there appears to be similar damage to the front wheel too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by v50inred View Post
Unless zeb hit the front wheel off the kerb at the same time.

The truth shall set you free..........
My own quote above was back on Page 3 of the thread along with a picture. There did appear to be front damage too.

I do however think Zeb has done well and moved on from this incident in itself and perhaps done a little learning along the way.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 22:55   #180
spanner110
Mechanic

I have a theory too. It may explain zebs coyness at filling in the blanks as to what happened that day.
Zeb leads a double life as the 'Transporter'; I mean it's going to be hard to admit that whilst he was the getaway driver for a heist team, he clipped the kerb negotiating a roundabout in a clockwise direction to throw off the pursuing police car. The body work dents were caused by a glancing blow from the railings on the bridge they drove off, and the steering got buggered when they landed on the freight train which facilitated their escape.
Where does the cul-de-sac come into it? presumably when zeb had been paid for that job he needed somewhere quiet to count the dosh and assess the damage.
Of course this might all be tosh.
A more credible explanation might be that Mr 'X' caught Zeb tupping Mrs 'X', and he was forced to high tail it out of the house at speed to avoid a fatal beating. The bodywork dent was caused by Zebs head as he struggled to pull on his trousers whilst attempting to run away (can't be done mate) and the wheel damage was done by (a) the rock thrown by Mr 'X' as Zeb made good his exit, or (b) Zeb taking the corner out of the cul-de-sac too early at too high a speed and clipping the kerbstone. The concussion Zeb sustained from the 'trouser incident' means that he has no recollection of that evenings drama and genuinely believes that the damage 'just appeared'. He is low on funds because his wallet was lost in the ensuing melee and he daren't go back and look for it; so his rebuild budget is based on what he can find down the back of the sofa and from the whisky optic on his bedroom windowsill.