Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My HID conversion kit has arrived :)

Views : 21978

Replies : 105

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 6th, 2010, 12:59   #11
Jonnieb2009
Master Member

I have installed two kits two date after 18 months.

One of th bulbs went in this time and one ballasts went so caused the light to 'flicker'. I ma happy and have spare bulbs lined up as sometime they can take a few days to deliver and with it being darker now, its good to have a spare.

They are asimple 'plug and play' i.e. take connector off your existing halogen bulb and plug the connectors in from the kit as easy as that. As JB says, drill a hole prob 22mm in the back of the light in the cover (possibly nearer an edge to avoid the cables entering in the middle and nerar the bulb). feed the wires in, there will be a plastic grommet to fit in the hole, plug and play - happy days..

One thing to note:- With the volvo you will get error messages so need to buy the error cancellors too which link between the ballasts and bulbs to kid the car in thinking that a bulb has blown.
Jonnieb2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonnieb2009 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 13:16   #12
jasonb
In the mood for change!

I didn't need the inline resistors with mine and I think they're starting to become a feature with most after-market manufacturers!
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 20:03   #13
sdavidwh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnieb2009 View Post
I have installed two kits two date after 18 months.

One of th bulbs went in this time and one ballasts went so caused the light to 'flicker'. I ma happy and have spare bulbs lined up as sometime they can take a few days to deliver and with it being darker now, its good to have a spare.

They are asimple 'plug and play' i.e. take connector off your existing halogen bulb and plug the connectors in from the kit as easy as that. As JB says, drill a hole prob 22mm in the back of the light in the cover (possibly nearer an edge to avoid the cables entering in the middle and nerar the bulb). feed the wires in, there will be a plastic grommet to fit in the hole, plug and play - happy days..

One thing to note:- With the volvo you will get error messages so need to buy the error cancellors too which link between the ballasts and bulbs to kid the car in thinking that a bulb has blown.
Cheers Jonnie, thats what I like, plug & play. Ood point ref ordering spare bulbs for future.
sdavidwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 20:04   #14
sdavidwh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post
I didn't need the inline resistors with mine and I think they're starting to become a feature with most after-market manufacturers!
I'm hoping I dont need the resistors, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it
The Following User Says Thank You to sdavidwh For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 22:54   #15
y2blade
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavidwh View Post
I'm hoping I dont need the resistors, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it
keep us posted please
y2blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 22:58   #16
jasonb
In the mood for change!

Dave, are you sure they're not built in already? The extra box in the cabling could just be them!
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 23:02   #17
sdavidwh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post
Dave, are you sure they're not built in already? The extra box in the cabling could just be them!

It's beyond me, I'll soon find out.

I will post my results as soon as

Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to sdavidwh For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 12:23   #18
tayandre

Jeeze, two pages on aftermarket Xenons and no slanging match about illegal vs legal.

If I've still got my C30 when the warranty has run out then I'd seriously consider them, even though I side with the illegal argument.
tayandre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tayandre For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 13:10   #19
Jonnieb2009
Master Member

Unless you are like JB of course and manage to source some original volvo bi-xenons which are legal!

Yes I carry spare bulbs as with my Volvo the headlamps are on all the time, after 12 months one of the bulbs went then a ballast went causing one of the bulbs to 'flicker' so the cheapest option was to buy another kit, change the duff ballasts and keep the bulbs as spares. I have one of the old ballasts as a spare too so hopefully that sorts me out for another 18 months!

Dave,

Looking at the website description on your link, JB is quite right and the error cancellors are built in to the unit, preventing OBC or on-board computer messages.

Dont forget to show us some pics!

If you need some more advice then look on you-tube - plenty of diy videos of installations.

Last edited by Jonnieb2009; Oct 7th, 2010 at 13:17. Reason: crappy spelling & added text
Jonnieb2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonnieb2009 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 13:49   #20
istation

I don't want to get in the Legality but do these need to be changed before the MOT. I have the Headlight washers and manual adjustment
istation is offline   Reply With Quote