Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My HID conversion kit has arrived :)

Views : 21972

Replies : 105

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 7th, 2010, 13:55   #21
Jonnieb2009
Master Member

No, they check for beam pattern not the bulbs (mine has passed 2 years mots - ATS) and as are cars have the projector lens, these is no issue - unless VOSA change the rules about aftermarket kits at some point.
Jonnieb2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 14:24   #22
jasonb
In the mood for change!

Mine has passed too, even with the Ballasts just taped up instead of permanent fixings - very obvious under the bonnet!
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 15:30   #23
s40_kid

I also passed with my LARGE ballasts in full view when lifting the bonnet. I've no error cancellers on my HID's and have never had a bulb warning. However I do suffer from one or both bulbs going off if any of the other lights (indicator, brake, reverse) come on during the warm up stage (approx 30 seconds from switch on). I didnt buy the specific volvo kit but the bog standard H7 kit so probably serves me right for being a tight ar5e
s40_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 18:54   #24
bladeuk2001

Exclamation

Hi Gents,

Apologies for the thread hijack, but I too fitted my HID kit tonight to a 2008 S40... It seemed really easy, but I must have gone wrong somewhere, as the new lights don't power up at all

Connections are right between the ballasts and the bulb... They only fit one way

I powered the HIDs (2 spade connections) off the stock bulb connector, as with my last HID install... And I'm sure I got them the right way around, as I checked +/- with a multimeter beforehand (and there wasn't a loud bang)

Has anyone else had a problem with HID installation at all?

Again, sorry for the hijack, I'll start a new thread if that's appropriate?

Cheers
bladeuk2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 19:03   #25
Jonnieb2009
Master Member

Double check the connections from the cars connector block are on the correct terminals. Are the wires plugged into the ballasts right - I know I'm stating the obvious but I cant think of anything else. Check the cars fuse hasnt blown. Is the switch in the car on sidelight?
Jonnieb2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 19:06   #26
jasonb
In the mood for change!

if you remove the hid kit and put the old H7's back in, do they light-up?
If they do, then you have a problem with the kit.
Seems unlikely for all of it to go! Or are there common components?
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 20:44   #27
sdavidwh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnieb2009 View Post
Unless you are like JB of course and manage to source some original volvo bi-xenons which are legal!

Yes I carry spare bulbs as with my Volvo the headlamps are on all the time, after 12 months one of the bulbs went then a ballast went causing one of the bulbs to 'flicker' so the cheapest option was to buy another kit, change the duff ballasts and keep the bulbs as spares. I have one of the old ballasts as a spare too so hopefully that sorts me out for another 18 months!

Dave,

Looking at the website description on your link, JB is quite right and the error cancellors are built in to the unit, preventing OBC or on-board computer messages.

Dont forget to show us some pics!

If you need some more advice then look on you-tube - plenty of diy videos of installations.

thanks Jonnie & I will defo sort some picks out

Dave
sdavidwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 23:05   #28
istation

I really fancy a set now, how much better are they than the stock bulbs and are you all buying the same kits, are there any kits to stay clear of ?
istation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 10:48   #29
bladeuk2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnieb2009 View Post
Double check the connections from the cars connector block are on the correct terminals. Are the wires plugged into the ballasts right - I know I'm stating the obvious but I cant think of anything else. Check the cars fuse hasnt blown. Is the switch in the car on sidelight?
Thanks for the reply- The only connection with the car is the spade connectors that power the ballasts straight off the original bulb connector (which is now empty)... I'm 99% sure thats right, unless the kit is labelled up wrongly (says blue is + and black is -)

I've tried the car lights on all 3 settings including sidelights, but with no joy, and the fuse is fine as I can put the old bulb back in and all is fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post
if you remove the hid kit and put the old H7's back in, do they light-up?
If they do, then you have a problem with the kit.
Seems unlikely for all of it to go! Or are there common components?
As above, if I put the original bulb back into the original holder, it works fine. There aren't any common components, unless both ballasts/bulbs are dead!

The only next step I can think of is to change the polarity of the ballasts, but that might blow them up!

Or just connect a 12v battery across the terminals and see if that works?
bladeuk2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 10:59   #30
garethXC

I know its been done to death on other posts but to retro fit these without all the other requirements is illegal and potentially dangerous to other road users.
garethXC is offline   Reply With Quote