Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D2 running issues - advice wanted

Views : 20029

Replies : 121

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 11th, 2011, 22:16   #11
John_C
Allons-y!

Good for you, keep on at them, it's obviously not right.
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 21:42   #12
faffi
Motorcyclist

Friday night, the car suddenly ran virtually flawless for 20 miles and I commented to my wife that this was pleasant, but unusual. And since then, it seemed fine. Not perfect, but close. If it had been like this from new I probably would never have bothered to complain to the garage.

But this afternoon, issues started to creep back, like the loss of power causing a stumble here and there upon take-off and engine not running smoothly all the time. Then, after stopping for 15 minutes, there was this message in the display; REDUCED ENGINE POWER. I took pictures of it as evidence. Couldn't feel anything different, but I was very happy for the message as it does support my claim that something is not right with the car.
faffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 21:45   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

That is good news , there should be a code logged now to guide them . I heard of a sticking flap in the intercooler bypass unit recently on one ... ( if you have one on your year of course )
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 21:51   #14
faffi
Motorcyclist

Thanks, Clan. It's a 2011, delivered November 5 last year.
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 09:05   #15
Kizzer
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faffi View Post
Thanks, Clan. It's a 2011, delivered November 5 last year.
I wrote about REDUCED ENGINE POWER about 2 issues ago if you have DRIVER mag.
Ill PM you the full article, but basically its to do with the Throttle Position Sensor. A new one under warranty will sort this issue for you
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 09:17   #16
faffi
Motorcyclist

Thank you, Kizzer. Clan and/or Guru have mentioned TPS before when I explained these issues under another topic earlier, so this sounds more and more like a possibility. I will PM you.

BTW, this morning the engine fan was blowing like crazy when I parked at work, despite the engine temp showing normal values. Really noisy, and to me it felt like it was blowing a lot of cool air out of the grill Fan ran for many minutes after parking, and again there was this burnt smell from the left rear wheel arch. Have had the smell before (expect DPF regeneration) but it's the first time I've heard the fan going. It's only a 6 mile drive to work, temp at -2C, so it's a bit strange that it should have overheated.
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 18:20   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzer View Post
I wrote about REDUCED ENGINE POWER about 2 issues ago if you have DRIVER mag.
Ill PM you the full article, but basically its to do with the Throttle Position Sensor. A new one under warranty will sort this issue for you
I assume that is the pedal? bearing in mind a diesel doesnt have a throttle as such ..
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 11:40   #18
faffi
Motorcyclist

Had a one hour meeting with the salesman, the Head of sales and Head of Mechanics that was fairly positive.

1) They will look into the running issues, talk with the importer, possibly replace the pedal/TPS, also suggested driving the car for several days and see if they notice anything
2) The fault code was from the ECM saying there had been trouble during start-up
3) They would clean the aircon since it smells like a 10 year old car when air is resirculated
4) They would look into the wiper/washer not managing to wet the whole windscreen
5) They would see if they could find a cause for the high consumption

They also said that it may end up with them not being able to satisfy me as a customer, that they could not make the car absolutely right. Furthermore, they claimed that erratic running was inevitable with modern diesels, that what I experienced was probably within normal. Strange that I've never sensed the same things with any of the many demo cars I've tried from many brands, though.

The good thing is that listened, were willing to take it seriously and that they wanted to find a solution. Now I just hope that they do
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 16:16   #19
VFL

The fuel Consumption as you mentioned WILL increase over time, If you drive 15k - 20k km I think you will notice improvement! (Yes, I have a D2 my self.)

I also see that you compared a little with your 1.6D (16 valves). Remember, D2 (8 valves) is a totally different engine ..

Hope it works out for you.
VFL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VFL For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 16:30   #20
Kizzer
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I assume that is the pedal? bearing in mind a diesel doesnt have a throttle as such ..
Umm I'm not 100% sure actually, what do you mean by the derv doesnt have a throttle as such? PM me if you want