Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D2 running issues - advice wanted

Views : 20009

Replies : 121

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 18:12   #21
faffi
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL View Post
The fuel Consumption as you mentioned WILL increase over time, If you drive 15k - 20k km I think you will notice improvement! (Yes, I have a D2 my self.)

I also see that you compared a little with your 1.6D (16 valves). Remember, D2 (8 valves) is a totally different engine ..

Hope it works out for you.
I know the engines are different. But on spritmonitor.de I haven't found any evidence that mpg improves dramatically as the km/miles are piled on. On the contrary, they seem to remain stable up to an beyond 100,000 km / 60,000 miles. Even if there is a 10 % drop in consumption as the engine beds in, that doesn't explain why mine so far has averaged 40 mpg (7 l per 100km) so far compared to a claimed average of 66 mpg (4.3 l per 100km).

Anyway, thank you for the well wishes
faffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 12:31   #22
ironsavior

I've testdriven a V50 D2 and also noticed the stuttering. Today a friend got his V50 D2... it had the stuttering also.

I got a 1.6D Drive instead... no problems there. But the fuel consumption stated is not easily achieved (4.5l/100km mixed). The car says 5.5l/100km avg, but when I measure at the pump I got 7.6l/100km. Of course I use the heater and winter tyres now so it may go down a bit during summer.
ironsavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 12:52   #23
faffi
Motorcyclist

I see that you have the mad computer as well, where it claims a far lower consumption that what is the reality. Other than that, no doubt are Volvo's claims unrealistic for most users.

The 1.6D is a more pleasant engine to use.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 17:57   #24
ironsavior

I don't know if the computer is "mad". I think it is not considering the use of the diesel heater. I will check that when it gets a little warmer here.
ironsavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 21:02   #25
faffi
Motorcyclist

At first, I set the heater to be ready about 15 minutes after my planned departure, now I have set it to around 30 minutes later. There is still good heat in the compartment and the engine sits at around 70 degrees. This saves an estimated 0.2 litre of fuel every time the heater is in use, based upon a 0.4 to 0.5 litre/hour for the heater. I expect the heater to add between 0.3 and 0.4 litre per 100 km, so not a lot.

The heater that starts with the engine only, when the temp is below 5C, shouldn't add much at all. My Mondeo that I had previously used virtually the same amount of fuel summer as winter, and it had a heater that fired with the engine on cold days.
Old Mar 17th, 2011, 09:03   #26
faffi
Motorcyclist

Got the car back from yet another warranty service. They fixed the rattle in the passenger door, apparently managed to fix the window washer so that it cleans the whole shield, ran cleaner through the A/C system (resirculating the air have been accompanied by a nasty smell like you would expect from a 10 year old car) and changed two control modules. So far, the engine has been running smoothly, turbo-lag is greatly diminished and taking off from a stop has been consistent, so I have great hopes that the car is now fixed. Not sure if it has had any impact on the actual fuel consumption or the accuracy of the computer, but I can better live with the high consumption if the car runs well.

Fingers crossed that it will last
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to faffi For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 17:37   #27
faffi
Motorcyclist

Now, after 400 miles since the repair work, I can say that the running issues have not gone completely. Particularly in low gears at low speed and low rpm, the engine isn't consistent and from time to time it's bucking a bit.

However, consumption have dropped dramatically and the computer is now almost spot on. Last tank gave 5.6 on the computer and 5.76 calculated, or 50.4 / 49.0 mpg. Figures include some use of the diesel heater.

So when the weather gets warmer and the heater is no longer needed, I expect figures solidly into the 50s. Still far off the claimed combined figures, but not horrible anymore. My driving is typically in the 4-6 mile range around town, as in suburban area with little actual stop-and-go and avg speed of around 25 mph.
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 08:40   #28
D2GREEK
S40 D2 MY2011

Having driven a D2 S40 for some 10000km till today (received the car in mid October 2010), I could say that some of the issues stated in this thread are right. There is definitely a power restriction in first gear (not improving with time), but let me say that exactly the same issue is reported for the new Ford C-max with the 1.6 Tdci 115 PS engine (quite similar to ours) in the autocar magazine. Seems to be done on purpose. I just change to second gear quite early.
As for the low mpg, for the first tanks I was doing about 5,8-6,0 lt/100km (48-47mpg) , but now this has improved to 5,2-5,6 lt/100km (54,3-50,4 mpg) (driving mainly between small towns, suburban areas and also highway for half the kms). Average speed about 75-80 km/h (46-50mls/h). I consider ths to be a decent value.I believe it could be even better with eco tyre pressure (manual says that is 2,5). These values are quite similar to the calculated values I take after each filling of the tank (to be honest, calculated values are usually a little better, compared to the trip computer ones).
As for the turbo lag, there is a point, and I think it's quite obvious. but since I have no stuttering/hesitating, I think I just have to live with it.
D2GREEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 12:14   #29
fenix4Life

I'm happy to see that I'm not the only with with those issues.
I have a VOlvo 26 from june 2011. It only has 5500 Km and it looks like only the first tank went smoothly.

What I experienced is the following:
-> In first gear it is sometimes (30% of cases) not possible to start slowly. It shakes heavily with rpm going up and down like crazy even if the pedal position does not move. (Note that I always manually remove the handbrake. I don't use the automatic unlock)
-> When the engine is cold it is not possible to stay in a one gear higher position when slowing down for a speed bump. As the nearest speed bump is only 100 - 150 meters away from my home I arrive at gear 3 but if I go over it shakes heavily when stepping the pedal again.
-> When driving on a high way @ 90 in sixth (around 1600 rpm) it happens that for no reason the car shakes. It started with 2 shakes when the road went up. I though, could happen. About a month later I had it for almost 10 - 15 km a constant powerloss with shaking when I tried to see if a little faster would make it dissapear. Only by slowing down at a traffic light and driving again at 90 on a different road made it dissapear.
-> Not a turbo lag (as turbo only kicks in @ 1500 / 1600) but shifting results in a drop of speed before picking up again. It just looks like an old automatic gear box.

I'll bring the car in this month. If needed they can bring it back to the construction place as it's just a next to it :-)
fenix4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fenix4Life For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 17:58   #30
lcnar01
V50

Welcome to the "dissatisfied with the D2" Club!
lcnar01 is offline   Reply With Quote