Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Insurance renewal anomolies.....

Views : 1190

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 25th, 2020, 11:08   #11
ITSv40
VOC Member

I had been with Direct Line for 17 years with my previous Volvo V40 and paying around £350 pa. I then bought the current V40 and wanted to insure both cars for 1 month as I wanted to check over the new car whilst keeping the old one legal until the mot ran out.

Rang Direct Line to put the new car on the policy and no problem at all - an additional £28 - so all good. However, during the conversation a renewal premium of £700 was mentioned when the policy expired at the end of the month. I didn't query it as I thought they had misunderstood and assumed I wanted to keep both cars insured at renewal.

Renewal came and yes, premium £700. Phone call to explain I no longer had the old car and it was just the newer car I wanted to insure. Yes sir, that is correct, one car, premium £700. Both cars were 2.0lt petrol and same spec the only difference being the newer car was 5 years younger than the old one. No claims identical but they would not budge on the premium.

I then did a comparison - the first time in 17 years - and got it insured for just over £200. They lost a very satisfied loyal customer.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 11:23   #12
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Just had my renewal from Admiral on 2 cars and the house. Both cars’ premiums were ok, on a par with last year, but looking on comparison sites for the household combined buildings and contents, they were out by just over £100.

So I phoned them (got through almost straightaway!), asking for a better price just on the household.

They brought it down by around £60, but offered to look at the cars.

Brought them both down, so the nett result was quite a bit more than the £100 or so I was looking for, in fact, overall now less than last year.

Add to that a decent MoT pass on the C70, and in the process of ditching BT for my landline and broadband for about a 40% cut in cost, and the last week or so hasn’t been too bad....
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 10:28   #13
S60RDesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
I had been with Direct Line for 17 years with my previous Volvo V40 and paying around £350 pa. I then bought the current V40 and wanted to insure both cars for 1 month as I wanted to check over the new car whilst keeping the old one legal until the mot ran out.

Rang Direct Line to put the new car on the policy and no problem at all - an additional £28 - so all good. However, during the conversation a renewal premium of £700 was mentioned when the policy expired at the end of the month. I didn't query it as I thought they had misunderstood and assumed I wanted to keep both cars insured at renewal.

Renewal came and yes, premium £700. Phone call to explain I no longer had the old car and it was just the newer car I wanted to insure. Yes sir, that is correct, one car, premium £700. Both cars were 2.0lt petrol and same spec the only difference being the newer car was 5 years younger than the old one. No claims identical but they would not budge on the premium.

I then did a comparison - the first time in 17 years - and got it insured for just over £200. They lost a very satisfied loyal customer.
You were satisfied but sadly they’ve probably been screwing you for years. You have to shop around or you’ll probably pay well over what you should be, it’s the same with home insurance, gas and electricity, mortgage when they come to the end of their introductory offers
S60RDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 10:51   #14
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60RDesign View Post
You were satisfied but sadly they’ve probably been screwing you for years. You have to shop around or you’ll probably pay well over what you should be, it’s the same with home insurance, gas and electricity, mortgage when they come to the end of their introductory offers
Yes, indeed. If they hadn't been so bl**dy greedy, I would still be with them as they were very easy to deal with. Ironically I am now with Privilege - best quote I can get, and miles cheaper than Direct Line - who are part of the Direct Line group.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2020, 19:22   #15
steve 1550

I had my renewal through end of August with Admiral and they quoted me £270 which was up £40 from last year. I decided to take an additional driver off my policy and was stunned when he came back and said' How does £170 sound'.
I literally bit his hand off and renewed.
steve 1550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2020, 19:59   #16
TeamG
Master Member

You want to move to S Wales. My XC60 costs me £120 to insure (a little more than it could be as I wanted to limit the total xs to £100.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2020, 20:38   #17
EssexExile
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamG View Post
You want to move to S Wales. My XC60 costs me £120 to insure (a little more than it could be as I wanted to limit the total xs to £100.
My dad was paying more than that a month for his Nissan Micra. That's what you have to put up with when you get to 99.
Old Dec 9th, 2020, 20:59   #18
anotherv60
Master Member

My Friend the actuary told me years ago that car insurance premiums are more reflective of where you live and how closely you match the typical owner category for that make / model than anything else.
Old Dec 9th, 2020, 22:14   #19
TeamG
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherv60 View Post
My Friend the actuary told me years ago that car insurance premiums are more reflective of where you live and how closely you match the typical owner category for that make / model than anything else.
So for me, 45 years old, wife, 2 kids, 3 dogs, boring (to the insurer) job, quiet area, that makes sense. Best quote I had for my old V70 was £86.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2020, 21:01   #20
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX
Trader

Hi.
If anyone ever needs any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX is offline   Reply With Quote