Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 603333

Replies : 2692

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 13th, 2022, 09:00   #2551
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngloScot View Post
just had egr done by Volvo , cost £900. No help from Volvo uk despite having full Volvo service history.
Very disappointed with Volvo and will now get car serviced by other.

I was thinking about buying a Xc40 but I don’t think I will buy Volvo again now.
EGR valve or EGR cooler?
What reason was given for refusal of goodwill?
VEA engine or older 5-cylinder engine (this thread really only relates to the VEA)?

I got the cooler replaced under 100% goodwill and the valve under 50% goodwill. But for each it was suggested to me that these goodwill payments were on the basis of FVSH, vehicle less than 7 year old, mileage below 100k.
Old Feb 13th, 2022, 09:21   #2552
spaceman2844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
EGR valve or EGR cooler?
VEA engine or older 5-cylinder engine (this thread really only relates to the VEA)?

I got the cooler replaced under 100% goodwill and the valve under 50% goodwill. But for each it was suggested to me that these goodwill payments were on the basis of FVSH, vehicle less than 7 year old, mileage below 100k.
My 2014 D4 VEA is now giving the EGR low flow error code again intermittently. I've reset it a few times and then it seems OK for another week or too).

I've got full Volvo service history and less than 100K miles. Not keen on paying the £100 or so diagnostic fee at the dealer to then be told Volvo UK won't give any goodwill for another cooler. I've just ordered the relevant gaskets and I think I'll go ahead and clean the cooler myself in the first instance.

Has anyone had a goodwill replacement/repair after 7 years?

Last edited by spaceman2844; Feb 13th, 2022 at 09:24.
spaceman2844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2022, 12:24   #2553
BB60

Zebster. Thanks for the EMAP range info.
Spaceman2844. As I've mentioned earlier, please consider removing and cleaning the inlet manifold whilst you're at it. It's more work, but at least you'll have the knowledge that all is clear as far as the inlet tract, which you can the see with the manifold removed. Good luck.
BB60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BB60 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2022, 17:34   #2554
omegatt

Hello all, as a new member and potentially a D4 V60 owner can I ask if these issues would have been sorted and cause no recurrence on later cars with the D4 engine. Specifically an early 2017 car, apparently has full Volvo history but a non franchise dealer so difficult to check what work has been carried out. Many Thanks in advance.
omegatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2022, 08:56   #2555
AngloScot
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
EGR valve or EGR cooler?

EVR Cooler, I have VEA engine and full Volvo service history with 50,000 miles on clock and the car won’t be 8 years old till end of April. No reason was given for refusal of goodwill. As said I’m very disappointed with Volvo. maybe I should go back to Volvo and ask why???
Old Feb 14th, 2022, 10:29   #2556
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngloScot View Post
EVR Cooler, I have VEA engine and full Volvo service history with 50,000 miles on clock and the car won’t be 8 years old till end of April. No reason was given for refusal of goodwill. As said I’m very disappointed with Volvo. maybe I should go back to Volvo and ask why???
Maybe because it's over 7 years old?

With my goodwill claim, the dealer contacted Volvo UK via a computer system where certain questions had to be answered (age, mileage, service history, where the car was bought, plus a few technical details from the diagnostics) and an immediate automated response confirmed to the amount of goodwill.

Doesn't hurt to ask. I found that if you could get the dealer on your side they were very good at getting Volvo UK to offer goodwill, outside the automated system. I got a replacement intake manifold fitted for free after such negotiation.

Good luck, but if you get nowhere then probably best to have your cooler removed, cleaned and refitted by a local independent.

Last edited by Zebster; Feb 14th, 2022 at 10:32.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zebster For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2022, 16:23   #2557
paulmaguire99

So if my car has the EGR problem can someone tell me what the definitive fix is and estimated cost or can you do it yourself?
paulmaguire99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2022, 16:43   #2558
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmaguire99 View Post
So if my car has the EGR problem can someone tell me what the definitive fix is and estimated cost or can you do it yourself?
It obviously depends upon what EGR fault you have... mine had two different problems on separate occasions, where firstly the cooler became blocked and some time much later the valve stuck open.

Do you have a problem? Cooler blockage (or valve sticking shut) will bring up the engine warning light and give a P04d9 OBD2 code. The valve sticking open also gives the engine warning light plus a whole load of codes, plus if it sticks open too much then the engine runs really rough and the car will become undriveable.

Cost will depend upon which fault and whether you go to a main dealer or an indy. There are several useful DIY guides on YouTube and either fault looks like an easy DIY to me.
Old Feb 16th, 2022, 15:07   #2559
BB60

Hi all.
I have found the exhaust manifold pressure sensor within Vida and the good news is that it appears to operate when rev'd gently to 2500 rpm between the 100-250 KPa range.
My next question is.. Does anyone know what sort of temperature range is considered normal inside the inlet manifold? I've been seen today 48 degrees centigrade under these conditions:
Outside air temp 16 degrees C
Just back from a gentle 10 mile run, didn't exceed 2500 rpm, no urgent throttle action.
I had just returned from the 10 mile run above. Had the vehicle at idle with engine temp at normal. With vida pluged in, the temperature rose from 41.7 C to 48 C. when the vehicle revs increased slowly from idle to 2500 rpm over a ten second timespan.
BB60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2022, 22:01   #2560
spaceman2844

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman2844 View Post
My 2014 D4 VEA is now giving the EGR low flow error code again intermittently. I've reset it a few times and then it seems OK for another week or too).

I've got full Volvo service history and less than 100K miles. Not keen on paying the £100 or so diagnostic fee at the dealer to then be told Volvo UK won't give any goodwill for another cooler. I've just ordered the relevant gaskets and I think I'll go ahead and clean the cooler myself in the first instance.

Has anyone had a goodwill replacement/repair after 7 years?
So after a lot of preparation and a few views of the excellent You tube video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zz6...l=CarsGuideDIY ) I spent today doing a DIY clean of the EGR cooler. My car was throwing up the Check Engine light every 3 or 4 journeys, and my code reader was giving P04D9 pending or confirmed every journey after I deleted the code again.

So, in case anyone finds themself in the same situation, a quick writeup of how it went.

The job is fairly tricky although OK if you're reasonably confident with this type of thing. The video is excellent and has all steps well recorded - it's only when you do the job yourself that you really appreciate the quality of the lighting and photography.

You need a good socket set including torx bits. Access is tricky and some of the plastic clips around the vacuum system are difficult to get undone so you need to be careful. My cooler was very sooted up on one side (exhaust side?) and not too bad on the other. I cleaned it initially by soaking in pure acetone for a couple of hours, then about an hour in an ultrasonic cleaner, followed by power washing and drying with a compressor airline. I replaced the cooler/EGR valve gasket but reused the metal gaskets to the EGR pipe and inlet manifold pipe. I had bought replacement gaskets but didn't use them - I think I may be doing another cooler clean in the future anyhow as I intend to hold onto the car. Interestingly, the lower bolt holding the cooler was missing, it seems the warranty replacement missed left this bolt off - I can see why, as it's virtually impossible to see, never mind access with a socket.

The EGR valve itself had some very minor sooting but a quick clean with throttle body/carburetter cleaner and a clean rag/toothbrush brought it up nicely.

I refilled the coolant using a vacuum filler from the usual auction site, which is powered by compressed air. This will be useful in the future as my hobby car is an MGF - they're notoriously fussy about coolant airlocking and prone to head gasket failure.

Everything seems OK, and no pending P04D9 codes on a few test drives, but time will tell. Have had the car from new and my valve and cooler were replaced under warranty and just outside warranty about 5 years ago, together with the "definitive" fix with revised coolant pipework and software. I didn't inquire at my dealer whether goodwill might be available, but at 8 years old I would doubt it, even with a full Volvo service history.

Good luck if you decide to have a go at it yourself.

Last edited by spaceman2844; Apr 18th, 2022 at 23:22.
spaceman2844 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spaceman2844 For This Useful Post: