Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to replace the receiver dryer filter?

Views : 196

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 14th, 2024, 09:58   #1
Crixus

Default How to replace the receiver dryer filter?

Hello all,

I am about to replace the AC-compressor and the receiver dryer filter, which is integrated in the condenser but can allegedly easily be replaced. Can anyone point me to a guide on the web or provide a short guide how to replace the dryer filter. I have been searching the web for weeks only to find replacement of condenser.

The vehicle in question is a V70 2.5T 2008. Same AC-system as in:

Volvo S60, 11-18
Volvo V60, 11-18
Volvo S80, 08-16
Vovlo V70, 08-10
Volvo XC60, 09-16
Volvo XC70, 09-16

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by Crixus; May 14th, 2024 at 12:25.
Crixus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2024, 21:35   #2
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

On my 2014 S80 the receiver dryer is part of the condenser. The filter is removed from the bottom of the drier tube via a plastic cap you unscrew. The issue is you need to remove the supporting plate underneath the rad package to gain access which means supporting the rad package from the top. I assume your 2008 will be similar.

Also ensure you get the correct amounts of oil and refrigerant for the car, I found on the AC machine I was using the data base it uses for automatic mode had the incorrect quantities on. I found the correct info on the Volvo website but there should also be a sticker under the bonnet. Under filling can cause unwanted noise in the system which these cars are known for anyway. It took me ages to cure my issues. Also just check your new compressor may well be pre filled with oil tho what I normally do is drain the compressor once removed and measure the amount and then make sure the new one has the same amount. Hope that makes sense.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2024, 14:13   #3
Crixus

Many thanks for your reply, Graham. Much appreciated, it will be very helpful. You say that the radiator should be secured from above. Can you briefly suggest how it should be secured, i.e. how you secured the radiator before you lowered the cross-member under the radiator in order to replace the desiccant bag?

Advice and tips much appreciated and gratefully received.
Old May 15th, 2024, 21:40   #4
Peter2400

As i remember when i had to take off that cross member i supported the intercooler from underneath as the crossmember doesn't cover its bottom (fully) but the intercooler is still attacheched to the radiator assembly so supporting the cooler allows to take the crossmember off without problem.
Peter2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:15   #5
Crixus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter2400 View Post
As i remember when i had to take off that cross member i supported the intercooler from underneath as the crossmember doesn't cover its bottom (fully) but the intercooler is still attacheched to the radiator assembly so supporting the cooler allows to take the crossmember off without problem.
Thanks for your reply, Peter!