Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dismantling 850 Front Bumper

Views : 237

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 12:42   #1
stevepcar
Steve

Default Dismantling 850 Front Bumper

Hello as the title, I have taken the front & rear bumpers off my 1995 850 to repair chips & respray. Has anybody taken the grey plastic grills out and separated the painted part from the plain grey part. They all look as if they can come apart, but I do not want to break off the tabs on the grills or crack the plastic when removing the plain grey part. Any advice would be welcomed.
stevepcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 13:02   #2
stevepcar
Steve

Default Bumper dismantling update

Further to my last post, I've just watched Robert DIYs video on taking the bottom part of the bumper off without disturbing the top. (should have looked there first) It looks easy when its on the car, not so sure when its off, but I will try. But still no info on how to remove the 2-side grills, if anybody has done this please advise.
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 13:39   #3
bob12
bob12

If it's anything like my '98 V70 they release with an even initial outwards tug.

It's ages since I did it but I seem to recall it slots in on one side and then the whole thing just pushes into the top slots. Just pull on it easy and you should be OK.

Behind the offside one there is the towing hook. The grilles on my V70 also have circular holes for the fog/spot lights. I always secure them with a zip tie as one fell out once and I had to buy a rather epensive new one!

Attached from V70 Handbook.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V70 Front Grille.jpg (280.7 KB, 9 views)
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 16:50   #4
stevepcar
Steve

Default Bumper dismantling

Thanks, the bumper separated quite easily once I knew it was not going to crack the plastic. The side grills came out with gentle persuasion & a thin screwdriver. So I have been able to rub the whole painted area down ready for filler & repainting. The car did not have spotlights originally, but I have a donor car that has them & I have transferred the necessary relays & switch. I read on the forum that even cars that were not fitted with spotlights from the factory, have the places scored out for the holes on the inside of the bumper cover, and sure enough mine has that, so I can hopefully cut them out neatly and fit the rubber surround for the lights into the opening too. Only downside of restoring the bumpers is that it will make the rest of the car look shabby!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevepcar For This Useful Post: