Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Urgent help with my parking brake needed!

Views : 2882

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 5th, 2010, 10:57   #11
Angel

Default Thanks again!

I have printed out the instructions just in case and will be taking this to a friend this weekend who does mechanics, the guy who did the original job is too far away and seems to be on holiday right now..just my luck.

As far as having some play, that makes sense to me and might explain the attitude of the garages when I complained previously, however right now they dont hold at all and the tester told me that he always makes some allowances for this model but this brake might as well not exist!

Hopefully your instructions will prove a hlep, thankyou so much : )
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 19:56   #12
fuzzypicture

Angel,

make sure that he has replaced the front cable ( from the pedal to centre console) I replaced everything (shoes,disks, both rear cables) only to find the front cables liner had pulled through. Very unusual, and local indi said they never bothered checking the front cable. Also check the photos on the thread, you can do this yourself - do you have the adjuster shown?I believe early models had a self adjuster on the pedal box which was useless, Volvo changed the design to the adjuster in the console and provided an update kit to dealers.
If you need the kit, drop a line to Rufe (FRF Motors -check the authorised suppliers list) he will help find all the necessary bits.

Joe
fuzzypicture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 08:34   #13
Angel

Default Thanks again

I have taken the panel off and can see almost the same as your photo, when the pedal is depressed, there is no movement in the mechanism whatsoever, is this normal?
When depressing the actual footpedal, there are clicks to be heard but the pedal will go straight down to its lowest point, conversely, when the hand release is pulled out..there is a big 'springing' sound was the pedal is released.

Is it possible that either the cable is very loose or there is a problem betweeb the pedal and cable connection? (all this is purely me mentally picturing how the assembly would be)

Thanks for everyones help!
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adjustment, help please!, parking brake, xc90