Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xenon Replacement for Halogen

Views : 1709

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 1st, 2013, 15:04   #1
JimmyTheLips

Default Xenon Replacement for Halogen

afternoon, please don't snigger or laugh at my ignorance but.... can I switch out the halogen headlight units at the front of my 2012 XC60 D5 AWD for Xenon units? I'm not talking about the bulbs but the entire headlight/headlamp unit in its entirety on both sides. I see that there is already a fuse installed for the ABL/Xenon lights and as I see it the connector is identical albeit with an additional pin on the Xenon unit over the Halogen one. Is this as simple as it gets or am missing something fundamental?
Old Oct 1st, 2013, 16:40   #2
Crockers
Premier Member

You would need auto leveling balancing plus front washers to be 100% legal. May be cheaper to buy a model with xenon's fitted.
Old Oct 1st, 2013, 19:36   #3
Daniel TD5

Hi mate

It can be done but all the parts can be very expensive try finding a car that's had a rear ender and right off buy all the bits in one go

Regards

Dan
Daniel TD5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2013, 20:22   #4
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

I suspect that the extra pin you refer to will provide the high voltage required by the xenon that is not required for 12v halogen bulbs. I would suggest that you need to loate these on the rear end right off and install them in your car wiring as well as the self levelling and headlight washers - a bigger task than just swapping unit over I fear
Old Oct 2nd, 2013, 09:29   #5
JimmyTheLips

Thanks guys, the car already has headlamp washer jets and when looking at the fuses the xenon/abl fuse is in place. Also having looked at the wiring the harness has cabling in place for pin 5. I plugged them in and they work until you drive then they shutdown when you aren't pushing the accelerator. Its weird, in idle without having driven the lights works and self level. Once you drive though the lights flicker and then go out until you accelerate again. Very odd, any ideas?
Old Oct 2nd, 2013, 10:04   #6
watchboy

Don't Xenons require a ballast to ensure that the requisite voltage is maintained? It sounds like, as you move away, voltage / amps output from the alternator is reducing possibly resulting in the lights dimming or flickering

I could of course be completely wrong!

Paul
watchboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2013, 11:09   #7
JimmyTheLips

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchboy View Post
Don't Xenons require a ballast to ensure that the requisite voltage is maintained? It sounds like, as you move away, voltage / amps output from the alternator is reducing possibly resulting in the lights dimming or flickering

I could of course be completely wrong!

Paul
The units I have are complete unit replacements with balast, I will post a picture when I get home :-)
Old Oct 3rd, 2013, 15:53   #8
JimmyTheLips

So here you can see that these are proper replacement units rather than an HID conversion kit. I have ordered some new bulbs to rule those out.

Old Oct 3rd, 2013, 23:03   #9
GreaseNipple

Okay, I'll ask, how much per unit.
GreaseNipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 08:54   #10
JimmyTheLips

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseNipple View Post
Okay, I'll ask, how much per unit.
130 + shipping so all in was about 300 for the pair.