Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bowers & Wilkins Stereo Testing

Views : 2310

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 8th, 2022, 09:02   #11
Prents79

***UPDATE***

For anyone reading this for any info/to update any interested forum members, the issue is still ongoing. Two more trips to a Volvo dealer, an absolute nightmare with the staff of Marshall Volvo (Leeds) who are seemingly committed to poor service and failing to communicate, and the current position is:

Car is back with insurer's own garage to check the 'fixes' Volvo applied
Marshall Volvo provided details of subwoofer location to them, and it's not where they said it was (under front nearside seat)
Auto electrician at insurer's garage is now investigating

I'm now four months into this and still have no realistic sight of the end. B&W absolutely have no part to play, they only deal direct with Volvo on the build and to supply parts at the top of the supply chain. Volvo's dealership in Leeds is one I would actively recommend people avoid like the plague. Aside from the shocking customer service (9 times they promised to call, and 9 times I had to chase them, and their regional manager was dismissive of the issues and has also failed to respond to recent attempts to communicate), I've also been told they currently have no manager at the site so things are a bit 'all hands to the pump'.

The most compelling view I've found is at the below address, which appears to show the design of my car (or potentially the larger 90) and the location of speakers. This layout is also the same for H&K systems in many regions, so it would seem logical that the subwoofers will be uniformly placed in the back quarter. This is being looked at again this week by my insurer's garage.

https://i0.wp.com/www.sempre-audio.a...00%2C800&ssl=1

I've had the car 6 months now, and almost half of that time it's been in a garage somewhere. The system is absolutely fantastic, and I'd pay the upgrade cost and more to have it again, but Volvo really need to up their game on the way information is shared (at the very least with their dealerships) and to have more robust methods of checking speakers. Second Volvo in a row for me, but I'm not sure I'd have a lot of brand loyalty next time round.
Prents79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prents79 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 8th, 2022, 11:30   #12
x119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prents79 View Post
Car is back with insurer's own garage to check the 'fixes' Volvo applied
Marshall Volvo provided details of subwoofer location to them, and it's not where they said it was (under front nearside seat)
Auto electrician at insurer's garage is now investigating
US Parts site is good if you don't have VIDA access: https://usparts.volvocars.com

I don't know why you're being given the run around, VIDA will with a VIN alone give all the necessary instructions for fit/remove. I've attached a example pdf for my XC90 - I'm actually retrofitting a sub at the moment.

Picture also attached showing S/V60 locations - now whether this switches left to right on market I don't know that's grabbed from the site I mention above. But I'd be getting in there for a look myself with a multimeter in hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0900c8af883c2ad7_2126_3106_1.jpg (89.5 KB, 39 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SubwooferSpeaker.pdf (601.7 KB, 24 views)
Old Jun 9th, 2022, 11:25   #13
Prents79

Quote:
Originally Posted by x119 View Post
US Parts site is good if you don't have VIDA access: https://usparts.volvocars.com

I don't know why you're being given the run around, VIDA will with a VIN alone give all the necessary instructions for fit/remove. I've attached a example pdf for my XC90 - I'm actually retrofitting a sub at the moment.

Picture also attached showing S/V60 locations - now whether this switches left to right on market I don't know that's grabbed from the site I mention above. But I'd be getting in there for a look myself with a multimeter in hand.
It beats me.

I had confirmation yesterday morning that the garage (DLG Auto Services, one to be wary of if you ever go there) were happy with everything and the car would be brought back ASAP. Still no contact. My case could genuinely be used as a training tool to show how not to do customer relations.

Hopefully I'll see the car before the week is out, and possibly even with a working system.
Old Jun 9th, 2022, 12:34   #14
Chudy85
Volvo family member

I have question is it possible to install subwoofer for the standard audio system?? or there isnt the option
Old Jun 9th, 2022, 13:01   #15
Prents79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chudy85 View Post
I have question is it possible to install subwoofer for the standard audio system?? or there isnt the option
I can't answer accurately, but my guess would be that it wouldn't be possible without a tech wiz because of the lack of a designated amplifier/amplifier channel and with how prohibitive Volvo make their systems against tweaking. An independent ICE company wouldn't even look at my car when I first had the issue with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Prents79 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2022, 13:16   #16
giftgrub100
giftgrub100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prents79 View Post
It beats me.

I had confirmation yesterday morning that the garage (DLG Auto Services, one to be wary of if you ever go there) were happy with everything and the car would be brought back ASAP. Still no contact. My case could genuinely be used as a training tool to show how not to do customer relations.

Hopefully I'll see the car before the week is out, and possibly even with a working system.
Subwoofer should be located in rear of boot on left side (as per your images), (I have a pic of locations for all, but cannot seem to add the image), one assumes they have checked all the connections, couldn't be as simple as not plugging it in. Boot has two roof speakers and the Subwoofer, two in each door, centre speaker in dash and the Audio module under the drivers seat.
giftgrub100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2022, 14:00   #17
Fibrous

Try this for playback and listen with your head at the back close to subwoofer side with the boot lid open (volume not too high though!). Im not too sure exactly what frequency the B&W sub is designed to start outputting at but this will cover it as it steps up in frequency.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBlJebipLgM
Fibrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 12:19   #18
S90
IT Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftgrub100 View Post
Subwoofer should be located in rear of boot on left side (as per your images), (I have a pic of locations for all, but cannot seem to add the image), one assumes they have checked all the connections, couldn't be as simple as not plugging it in. Boot has two roof speakers and the Subwoofer, two in each door, centre speaker in dash and the Audio module under the drivers seat.
There are 3 speakers in each door. If the sub is working, then using a tone generator track, you should be able to feel it! If not then its likely not plugged in or they borked something.