Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bowers & Wilkins Stereo Testing

Views : 2313

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 27th, 2022, 09:58   #1
Prents79

Default Bowers & Wilkins Stereo Testing

Hi all,
I'm new, so apologies if this is in the wrong place.
I've had an accident a few weeks ago which involved blowing the amplifier under the seat in a V60 (21). The insurance company have insisted the car is now sorted (after 4 attempts, the latter involving a Volvo dealership) but I can tell the subwoofer isn't on. Unfortunately it's not something I can locate and point to, so this is difficult to take further.
Does anyone know of a way/a company/etc to get this independently verified so I can push back with the insurers to get it done right?
TIA.
Prents79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2022, 10:01   #2
MtillingVolvo
Sales Monkey @Volvo Npton

Hi,

I'd maybe get in touch with B+W on the below:

https://www.bowerswilkins.com/en/collaborations/volvo

May be a good starting point as they'll be able to confirm where the Subwoofer should be?

Could also try Volvo Customer Relations?

Kind Regards

Marc

Main Dealer Based in Northampton
mtilling@bellsmotorgroup.co.uk

Last edited by MtillingVolvo; Apr 27th, 2022 at 10:11.
MtillingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MtillingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2022, 10:30   #3
Fibrous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prents79 View Post
Hi all,
I'm new, so apologies if this is in the wrong place.
I've had an accident a few weeks ago which involved blowing the amplifier under the seat in a V60 (21). The insurance company have insisted the car is now sorted (after 4 attempts, the latter involving a Volvo dealership) but I can tell the subwoofer isn't on. Unfortunately it's not something I can locate and point to, so this is difficult to take further.
Does anyone know of a way/a company/etc to get this independently verified so I can push back with the insurers to get it done right?
TIA.
Just to be clear are you stating that the Volvo dealership themselves have signed off the repair as being done and that the B&W system is fully functioning?
Fibrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2022, 10:42   #4
Prents79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibrous View Post
Just to be clear are you stating that the Volvo dealership themselves have signed off the repair as being done and that the B&W system is fully functioning?
To be absolutely clear, I haven't seen any evidence to that effect. I'm aware that the car was with them because it's tracked and they told me over the phone when it was likely to be ready, but the extent of their work and the full request wasn't something my insurer was prepared to share. On the phone, the person I spoke to at Volvo said the system was working... but I have no insight into whether the speakers were all tested or if this was to confirm that the system was coded in with a new amplifier. If the insurer asked to verify the system was working, I don't know to what level they'll test. I'm essentially a third party in this element.
It's clear to me that there is an audible void in the set-up, but with a hidden subwoofer I can't observe this and subsequently take it any further and therefore need some support/reporting/etc from elsewhere.
Old Apr 27th, 2022, 10:50   #5
Prents79

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtillingVolvo View Post
Hi,

I'd maybe get in touch with B+W on the below:

https://www.bowerswilkins.com/en/collaborations/volvo

May be a good starting point as they'll be able to confirm where the Subwoofer should be?

Could also try Volvo Customer Relations?

Kind Regards

Marc
Thanks Marc,

I've reached out to B&W (they don't deal with end users, purely a parts supply to Volvo), and now an email to Volvo CR (no joy via their phone number).

Cheers
Old Apr 27th, 2022, 10:51   #6
mark2410

if you have the car, use a test tone generator to output some low sounds into the aux input, or actually can prob do on your phone via bluetooth.

if there is no sub then anything below 80hz should start to fall off a cliff
2018 v90 D4 LHD
2009 C30 T5
mark2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mark2410 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2022, 11:12   #7
Prents79

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2410 View Post
if you have the car, use a test tone generator to output some low sounds into the aux input, or actually can prob do on your phone via bluetooth.

if there is no sub then anything below 80hz should start to fall off a cliff
Good shout. Just went to try this and it's evident that the speakers in the door are doing the work on a test which dropped from 150hz to 10hz, and below 90hz you can open the doors and the sound goes with them. Again, audibly it's clear, but the clincher would be a way to demonstrate this with some kind of report or clarity on what Volvo/A.N. Other can physically test. I'm at a loss.
Old Apr 27th, 2022, 11:36   #8
Fibrous

Quote:
To be absolutely clear, I haven't seen any evidence to that effect. I'm aware that the car was with them because it's tracked and they told me over the phone when it was likely to be ready, but the extent of their work and the full request wasn't something my insurer was prepared to share. On the phone, the person I spoke to at Volvo said the system was working... but I have no insight into whether the speakers were all tested or if this was to confirm that the system was coded in with a new amplifier. If the insurer asked to verify the system was working, I don't know to what level they'll test. I'm essentially a third party in this element.
It's clear to me that there is an audible void in the set-up, but with a hidden subwoofer I can't observe this and subsequently take it any further and therefore need some support/reporting/etc from elsewhere.
Yeah I guess its tricky getting paperwork, though I would go to Volvo for an evaluation and evidence...or at least to double check tall speakers are working as they should be.

I couldn't find B&W speaker position diagrams for the V60 but found these that might help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg efe492286bf6845610db3331b4190373.jpg (67.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg M4nJnmT9MLEdSxpzJDuXJd-1200-80.jpg (40.4 KB, 34 views)
Fibrous is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fibrous For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2022, 11:55   #9
Prents79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibrous View Post
Yeah I guess its tricky getting paperwork, though I would go to Volvo for an evaluation and evidence...or at least to double check tall speakers are working as they should be.

I couldn't find B&W speaker position diagrams for the V60 but found these that might help.
Cheers. I've got a call in with the dealership who were involved (everyone seems poor at calling back lately) to hopefully get some clarity on what they can test, what they actually did test, and if they're able to provide any metrics on what was looked at. The diagrams loosely confirm what I thought, and explain why the voids are where they seem to be. I just need something the right level of information on what everything does, and what can be properly tested before firing back at the insurer. A painful 10 weeks so far, but hopefully one of these lines will lead to proper answers.
Cheers
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 12:59   #10
PaulBendall

Quote:
... but the extent of their work and the full request wasn't something my insurer was prepared to share.
This is not an unreasonable request from you, and as any paperwork is likely to include the registration number or VIN then this is a link to you. Further, that means it is Personally Identifiable Information which comes under GDPR, to which you have a right to access.

Good luck.

Paul

P.S. I sat in the rear of my car last year for the first time and am convinced none of the rear speakers are working properly on my B&W system.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulBendall For This Useful Post: