Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stop/start battery, V90CC

Views : 1814

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 25th, 2022, 16:28   #11
Mad Malc

Smile

There is something wrong with your car and it has a warranty so you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Book it in immediately, the time to look at your paperwork is not now. That time will only come if they try to fob you off.
So your next job is to get the diary out and make that call. Please let us all know how you get on.
Mad Malc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2022, 21:41   #12
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK55 View Post
Maybe - I'll have to check the paperwork. Not sure a battery is usually covered by warranties, though.

As usual - the warning message was displayed constantly for four days whilst I was away. Just driven approx 200 miles and it didn't come on at all. The right side steering wheel button's stopped working again, though, the other thing the dealer checked and pronounced fine. Slightly annoying - I've never had electrical issues like these with all my BMWs or the Skoda that preceded the V90.
I had the right hand steering wheel buttons stop working a couple of times when I first bought my car, and quite a few others reported this issue as well, I found changing media source via Sensus screen (from radio to USB or BT) brought the buttons back to life, it only happened a few times in my case and has not happened again, several owners had the buttons changed under warranty.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2022, 00:23   #13
RSK55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Malc View Post
There is something wrong with your car and it has a warranty so you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Book it in immediately, the time to look at your paperwork is not now. That time will only come if they try to fob you off.
So your next job is to get the diary out and make that call. Please let us all know how you get on.
I'll do that! Nothing to lose...
RSK55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2022, 14:36   #14
RSK55

Appointment made, I'll report back later in August.
Old Jul 27th, 2022, 08:32   #15
Raddish

I had my 2019 v90cc d5 in for its service And first Mot on Monday. I mentioned that for a week in June I had the no start stop and a error message saying it required service. Marshal Volvo have booked car back in because it requires a new battery and both leads. All cover under warrenty that runs out sept 4th. Phew. New leads were £216 each. Assume battery is £300ish too
Raddish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2022, 08:52   #16
RSK55

It seems odd to me that a number of cars are exhibiting this problem at only three years old, maybe indicating a design flaw? It also seems odd that new battery cables are needed so soon in the car's life - I don't think I've ever replaced battery cables in a car less than twenty years old!
When I booked it in, the chap at Stoneacre said they would check the warranty cover and contact me before doing anything that required payment first, so there's potential for a 'discussion' there, maybe.

I drove the car yesterday and hey presto, the message has disappeared. I suspect the dealer's system checks will again reveal no problem with the car, so I will need to explain to them that I do not enjoy driving around for three or four days with a large warning message right in front of me that I cannot remove, even if it might go away again a week later!

Last edited by RSK55; Jul 27th, 2022 at 08:55.
Old Jul 27th, 2022, 16:12   #17
Raddish

I was told it was my type of journey. 90% of my journeys are 22miles of which 18 is motorway. I work shifts so it’s a clear journey with little traffic. Start/stop isn’t used much. So it shouldn’t have a issue.
Old Jul 27th, 2022, 16:57   #18
RSK55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddish View Post
I was told it was my type of journey. 90% of my journeys are 22miles of which 18 is motorway. I work shifts so it’s a clear journey with little traffic. Start/stop isn’t used much. So it shouldn’t have a issue.
Every single time I get in the car I disable it as part of my start-up routine (plug in phone etc.). The service warning light came on after two days of French motorway driving, in daylight, of at least 400k per day. So if the battery was struggling after that, I'd say there's a battery/charging issue.
Old Jul 28th, 2022, 09:41   #19
neilgorin

Is this not just the low mileage kills batteries problem that all cars seem to suffer from?

I know my wife's car has needed a new battery every couple of years since new in 2015 because of that, she only does about 7000 a year and most journeys are under 20 miles, but I haven't bought a battery for any of mine in 10+ years, because the car is used daily and racks up 25k a year.
neilgorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2022, 17:18   #20
Raddish

Maybe. But as I said, I wouldn’t expect my type of journey to kill batteries. 22miles each way and mainly motorway. So I do 12000 a year. And to require leads when changing battery too?