Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Articles

Notices

200 Series Articles How to's and Guides for the 200 series.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Heater Valve Replacement

Views : 30552

Replies : 0

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 21st, 2016, 21:54   #1
Fridazadilak
Low & Lazy

***Reposted with updated links to photos **

Hi guys,

My heater has been permanently blowing hot air ever since I bought it, regardless of the heat settings. I also noticed that my passenger footwell was a bit wet every now and again. After doing a bit of research I found that it was a dodgy heater control valve that was at fault. Apparently it's a very common issue and fixed with a direct replacement, which I found available for about £40 The problem is that the replacement valve often leaks after a short period of time.

I found an alternative is available from a 1982 VW Golf Mk1. This is a simple plastic bodied valve that costs £6 from a local motor factors. Part number on the box:

I chose to fit mine whilst my coolant system was drained due to an engine swap so this guide is preceded by draining the coolant system, which can be done by removing one end of the lower radiator hoses.

Once the system is drained, remove the glove box, lower panel and carpet flap in the passenger footwell. This leaves you with this:

Remove the heater vent 'Y' pipe to give yourself more room to work. This leaves you with this:

You can just see the heater valve. Closer up it looks like:

It's held in place by the pipe itself. Undo the jubilee clips and it should just slide out. Wiggle the control wire out of the arm and remove. Note: There will no doubt be coolant still left in the pipes...be prepared with a bowl and a towel!

The two valves look noticeably different:

You'll notice that the original valve operates at 90 degrees to the VW one. It doesn't matter. Fit the new one, paying attention to the direction of flow markings on the case. Feed the cable through the arm and check that it activates the valve:

Secure the cable in place with a cable tie onto the cable support:

Put the 'Y' pipe back on and refit all your parts of trim/glovebox. I've not tested the valve as yet because the engine isn't running yet, but I'll report back when I do. The only issue that I can see would be that the throw on the arm isn't long enough to through the valve completely, but that's easily fixed by drilling another hole further down the arm.

I hope this helps people find a cheap and simple solution to their heater giving them the options of 'hot' and 'surface of the sun'.

Dan

**UPDATE**
This worked fairly well, it needs a bit more tweaking to turn the heat off completely, however, it never bothered me so I learned to live with a bit of heat always blowing on the windscreen.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fridazadilak For This Useful Post: