Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Squeaking, rattle, high pitched noise inside V40

Views : 1776

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 11th, 2021, 13:30   #1
V40DriverWales

Unhappy Squeaking, rattle, high pitched noise inside V40

Hello all,

New to this forum.

I have a high pitch, squeaky, rattle (hard to explain) noise inside the car when driving. It’s become progressively worse over the past couple of days and I cannot locate where it’s coming from. It sounds like it’s coming from the drivers side dash area but I’m not 100% on this. I don’t believe it can be heard from the outside. It only happens when driving and staying still and rocking the car doesn’t make the noise. The vibration when driving must be causing this squeaky rattling..

Has anyone had any experience of this or potentially know what it could be? I have a couple of videos which you can hear the noise but I don’t think I can add them in here.

Thanks
V40DriverWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 14:14   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V40DriverWales View Post
Hello all,

New to this forum.

I have a high pitch, squeaky, rattle (hard to explain) noise inside the car when driving. It’s become progressively worse over the past couple of days and I cannot locate where it’s coming from. It sounds like it’s coming from the drivers side dash area but I’m not 100% on this. I don’t believe it can be heard from the outside. It only happens when driving and staying still and rocking the car doesn’t make the noise. The vibration when driving must be causing this squeaky rattling..

Has anyone had any experience of this or potentially know what it could be? I have a couple of videos which you can hear the noise but I don’t think I can add them in here.

Thanks
Very difficult for anyone to help without being there really . Certainly not a common fault , probably a unique one ...
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 18:24   #3
ovlov04v
Just Cruising.

Quote:
Hello all,

New to this forum.

Thanks
Have you got anything hanging on your key whilst it is in the ignition? That was what causes our mystery noise on occasions. Now I just take the key out once the car has started and no noise.
The centre console where all the buttons are often develops a bit of a squeak. A little tug here and there and it disappears.
The frame around the dash console sometimes benefits from a tap/tweak.

If you can locate your noise then you can try a bit of lub between the contact surfaces. ( a Q tip with some silicon lubricant works wonders for plastic squeaks). At worst case, remove and put some foam packing to stop the rubbing.
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 19:54   #4
V40DriverWales

Thank you for your replies. I appreciate it’s a difficult one to diagnose without hearing it.

I have a 63 plate V40, so it’s not a key it’s a hole in the dash, with stop/start button. I’ve had a look around everywhere and I can’t find where it’s specifically coming from. As it only happens when driving, it makes it more difficult to locate the specific area.

I’ll have a look all around, prodding and poking everywhere on the drivers side to see but if all fails, a trip to the garage it’ll be.

Cheers folks
V40DriverWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 20:08   #5
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Thank you for your replies. I appreciate it’s a difficult one to diagnose without hearing it.

I have a 63 plate V40, so it’s not a key it’s a hole in the dash, with stop/start button. I’ve had a look around everywhere and I can’t find where it’s specifically coming from. As it only happens when driving, it makes it more difficult to locate the specific area.

I’ll have a look all around, prodding and poking everywhere on the drivers side to see but if all fails, a trip to the garage it’ll be.

Cheers folks
Sounds like one of those noises where you need a passenger with you. Turn off the radio, heater etc & drive as you normally would. As soon as you hear the noise, ask the passenger if they can hear it too & ask them to try to figure out where its coming from.

You need empty/quiet roads to do this test, or even a big car park. I wouldn't recommend trying to find a noise doing 70mph down the motorway!
Old Apr 18th, 2021, 18:47   #6
Simmy
Premier Member

dose it stop when heater fan is off?
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2022, 11:29   #7
Shiny

Quote:

Cheers folks

I two have the same on the drivers side did you manage to find the problem?
Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 12:31   #8
26tim

Hi, I had a similar squeaking noise when driving. You should check your bonnet. Push on it or lightly hit it with your fist around and above the middle washer nozzle. Theres a latch right in the middle on the backside of the bonnet, which made the noise on my car. It sounded like it came from the interior while driving.
26tim is offline   Reply With Quote