Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Root cause of high oil consumption in VEA diesel engines?

Views : 22779

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 23rd, 2024, 21:58   #41
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slevin View Post
No way you can slide the pistons in from the bottom. I have never seen any engine with that much space among the main bearings not to mention the piston ring compressor...
Well obviously you need the head off, but it means you don’t have to remove the engine from the car. Head off, sump off. Balancer out and just undo the bearing caps and knock them out the top with a wood drift or similar.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Executive, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamBrown1 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2024, 20:34   #42
Mascher

Has anyone tried a piston soak to reduce oil consumption? I've heard of people with other cars pouring Berryman B12 down the spark plug holes and letting it soak for a while and having great results. Anyone tried something similar?

https://youtu.be/EG70jHiT-S0?si=vf-DTBuFj9qs4n7u

With no spark plug holes on the diesel D4, how does on get to the bores to put the liquid down?
Mascher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2024, 20:43   #43
seanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvogoteborg View Post
After engine 1501327 both petrol and diesel engines had modified pistons and rings?
Yes, I took the plunge and have been running a 2017 D4 for 14 months now from 125,500 to almost 148k.
Had it Polestar optimized. No oil consumption at all. Slightly sticky EGR but I plan to clean that soon.
Old Mar 6th, 2024, 20:45   #44
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mascher View Post
Has anyone tried a piston soak to reduce oil consumption? I've heard of people with other cars pouring Berryman B12 down the spark plug holes and letting it soak for a while and having great results. Anyone tried something similar?

https://youtu.be/EG70jHiT-S0?si=vf-DTBuFj9qs4n7u

With no spark plug holes on the diesel D4, how does on get to the bores to put the liquid down?
You’d either have to remove the injectors or the glow plugs. If someone did come up with a fix like this and it worked they’d not run short of business.

That said, I think there is more at play than just stuck rings, in my experience engines that rely heavily on EGR with no other form of after treatment also suffer bore wear. There is no easy fix for this and where you hear of consumption as bad as half a litre every 200 mile for example I wouldn’t be surprised if that is the case.

I am surprised actually or maybe failures are not that bad yet but take the ford eco boost engines as an example. There are a few people offering a high quality exchange service due to there known eco boom issues. You simply get your garage or yourself to remove your broken engine and fit one of there recon ones. Suppose it’s a numbers game, Volvo components are much more expensive than fords but what do you do? Volvo dealers are charging circa 10k for a short engine repair. Not everyone has that sort of cash ready to shell out.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Executive, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux

Last edited by GrahamBrown1; Mar 6th, 2024 at 20:51.
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamBrown1 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2024, 23:26   #45
Mascher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
You’d either have to remove the injectors or the glow plugs. If someone did come up with a fix like this and it worked they’d not run short of business.

That said, I think there is more at play than just stuck rings, in my experience engines that rely heavily on EGR with no other form of after treatment also suffer bore wear. There is no easy fix for this and where you hear of consumption as bad as half a litre every 200 mile for example I wouldn’t be surprised if that is the case.

I am surprised actually or maybe failures are not that bad yet but take the ford eco boost engines as an example. There are a few people offering a high quality exchange service due to there known eco boom issues. You simply get your garage or yourself to remove your broken engine and fit one of there recon ones. Suppose it’s a numbers game, Volvo components are much more expensive than fords but what do you do? Volvo dealers are charging circa 10k for a short engine repair. Not everyone has that sort of cash ready to shell out.
Removing the injectors or glow plugs is probably beyond my abilities. Taking out a set of spark plugs and pouring the Berryman B12 down the hole was something I was willing to give a go. Like you say if I could bring the car to someone to do this for me I'd be willing to pay, but I don't think a mechanic would want to get involved.

From what I can see on other cars the Berryman b12 treatment reduces consumption to about a quarter of what it was, which would make it hardly an issue for me.
Old Mar 9th, 2024, 19:56   #46
Mascher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
Plus see Rob3583's findings in the following threads using medicinal BDSO to release carbon deposit build up:

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

D4 VEA EGR…. what we now know….

Will be interesting to see/hear how this goes for him 🤔
Will await an update from Rob before deciding if I should go down the Berryman B12 piston soak or DMSO route. Anyone know if others have tried either on the D4 engine? I see threads on the Berryman piston soak on the petrol engine but nothing from diesel engine owners

Last edited by Mascher; Mar 9th, 2024 at 19:58.
Old Mar 11th, 2024, 08:24   #47
5cilinder
Premier Member

Modern diesel pistons have a deep cup in the crown, so the liquid stays in there , risking to high compression
Just do an engine flush and dont drive it like the toyota_autist did , just ad a litre in the crankcase and let it idle for an hour with some higher revs unloaded
Refresh the oil and do it again 500 miles later

How is the dpf regenerated on this engine? with the adblue or with active post injection?
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2024, 00:13   #48
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mascher View Post
Removing the injectors or glow plugs is probably beyond my abilities.
If you have a garage do this on your behalf, via the glow plug apertures, instruct them to do it on a Friday afternoon in order to let the Berryman soak through until Monday/Tuesday. Fill the cylinders with as much product as possible. Carry out an oil change afterwards.

It will be interesting to hear your feedback!

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote