Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General > x40 S1 Articles

Notices

x40 S1 Articles Article posts pertaining to x40 S1 Articles series Volvos

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Turbo replacement (step by step, pics inside)

Views : 28055

Replies : 0

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 19th, 2016, 20:33   #1
Alexjansen

Default Turbo replacement (step by step, pics inside)

Hello Volvo friends,

Here is my little guide on how to change your S/V40's turbo yourself. First of all, please forgive any lexical oddity in my writing, I'm french and my english is still imperfect.

Also, please note that I'm faaaaaar from being a mechanic ! I learned how to do a few things myself, with the good advice I got from you volvo forumers, and my own experience. So this might be imperfect, but it is how I did and it worked fine.

So let's get to work !

These are the tools I used:
- standard spanners (size: 10,13,17)
- a big and strong ratchet wrench (with 10' and 13' heads)
- a chisel
- a hammer
- a flat-head screwdriver

1. First, remove the heatshield. It will give you more space to work. 3 10' bolts to get here, should come easily. (The 3 different ones I've already removed were easy)

2. Now, remove that little hose (red arrow) and unscrew the bolt on the manifold (yellow arrow)

3. Undo that big bolt (size 17) keeping the oil pipe in place, until you can take it off. Then just turn the pipe away but don't twist it.

4. Here comes the tough part. You will have to take 6 13' bolts off that should be really hard to move, especially if it's a high mileage turbo. In that case, I would recommend to spray some WD40 the day before, and again a few hours before working.
Here, be sure to use a strong ratchet wrench to which you can add an extension, in order to have more force.
The yellow arrows show the visible bolts, the red one indicates the hidden one that is located just beside the turbo, screwed to the exhaust manifold. This should be the hardest one to get, especially since there isn't enough space to put a big ratchet wrench on it. Find the tool that will give you sufficient grip and strength. For my part, I succeeded with a simple spanner, but it was really tough each of the three times I did it.

5. Now, take off the turbo intake hose by simply unscrewing the hose clamp. Easy. (top red arrow) The second arrow indicates the location of the turbo exhaust hose (sorry I couldn't get a better pic), you have to take it off too. This one is harder to get as it's quite deep in the motor. If you can't find it, just touch the turbo with your hand and follow the exhaust tube.

6. Next step is a little tricky, but here's the tip:
a. Use a chisel as leverage to get the turbo off the exhaust manifold.
b. Once you've forced it far enough, keep it still with one hand and remove the gasket in order not to damage it
c. With the other hand, force it away from the block inlet tube (and remove the 2nd gasket). If it's still hard to move, give it some play first with the chisel and then repeat the process
In any case, force it off from the exhaust first, and only then push it the other way (= to the right). The oil return pipe should come easily when you will pull the turbo out, as it is simply inserted in a hole in the engine block. (oil return pipe = red arrow on 2nd photo)

The yellow arrows show where you have the gaskets (remember to take them out as soon as possible to prevent them from damage and from falling into the motorblock), the red arrow shows the turbo oil return pipe head

There you go ! You have done half of the job. Note that it is unnecessary to unbolt anything else to access the turbo but if you want even more working space, you can take that little black cylinder off with its little hoses:

If you replace your failed turbo with a brand new turbo, you should have new gaskets delivered with it. If you go for a used one, be sure to have at least gaskets in good shape. They can be re-used if they have no twist and little rust. (well, at least that's what I did) Also if you put a used one, take some time to clean it a little.

To put the new turbo in place, just reverse steps. Just a few tips here:
- use a hammer to ease the new turbo insertion if you have trouble placing it
- be careful not to damage the gaskets
- use new bolts
- be sure that the turbo oil return pipe is in place. To check that, just follow the pipe with your hand and check that the head of the pipe is well put into the little block hole
- screw the turbo hose clamps tight, otherwise it will easily pop out under air pressure. Start with the exhaust hose so you can still move the intake hose for better access
- a failed turbo can cause oil leaks, so take time to clean the greasy parts
- check your engine oil level

Well, I think I'm finished here ! Again, the hardest part is part 4. These bolts can be hell. So don't let it get on your nerves, try, then rest and try again. It's pointless to try 2 times in a row without rest. It's just physics, like in weightlifting, you have to get adequate rest between two sets of reps in order to recover sufficient strength. This time varies between 1mn and 5mn. Basically, the longer you wait, the more force you recover.
So I would recommend to get at least a 2mn rest after each attempt.

That's all ! Hope it will help.

edit: Oh I forgot to talk about the body injuries you will eventually get. xD Most of the time you will be bent over your car, so note that:
- your triceps will hurt (especially the right one)
- you will get good stiffness on your calves and back
- you might get beautiful bruises on your forearms (especially the left one)

tips: put some shirts or cushions all around so that you can lean more comfortably. When you need your two hands for a delicate issue you can even lean on your forehead !

Link to original thread.

Last edited by tt82; May 19th, 2016 at 22:20.
Alexjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Alexjansen For This Useful Post: