Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Articles

Notices

700/900 Series Articles How to's and Guides for the P700/900 series.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to: Volvo 940 fuel filter replacement

Views : 12502

Replies : 0

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 13th, 2020, 21:19   #1
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Default How to: Volvo 940 fuel filter replacement

I have done this on my 1997 940 with the single in tank fuel pump, the earlier cars had a second pump under the car next to the fuel filter. The method for changing the fuel filter will be very similar for the earlier cars.

First of all jack the car up on the rear N/S jacking point and out an axle stand under the car in a safe place. I put mine on a chassis crossmember so it acted as a handy mounting point for my lamp.

You then need to clamp off the fuel lines either side of the filter before removing anything to stop your fuel tank draining out on to the floor, I had run my 940 dry o I didn't have to.

Locate the hose fixings and undo them before anything else.

IMG-20200913-WA0002 by Luke Ryland - Flickr2BBcode LITE

IMG-20200913-WA0004 by Luke Ryland - Flickr2BBcode LITE

Next you need to undo the connections, there will be fuel in the filter that comes out, so you may want to have something ready to catch the fuel.

IMG-20200913-WA0009 by Luke Ryland - Flickr2BBcode LITE

IMG-20200913-WA0007 by Luke Ryland - Flickr2BBcode LITE

Now slacken off the 10mm bolt that holds the fuel filter in the strap but don't remove it fully.

Now undo the two 13mm filter carrier retaining bolts and one 13mm nut.

Now remove the 10mm bolt for the retaining strap. You can just slacken it and pull the filter out but I wanted to clean up the threads and grease the bolt.

IMG-20200913-WA0011 by Luke Ryland - Flickr2BBcode LITE

Now remove the union from the old filter and fit it to the new filter with a new copper washer. Don't forget two new washers for the banjo bolt.

Now you can refit it, when you refit it just put the filter back in the strap loosely, refit the carrier to the underside of the car and refit the lines and tighten them up, now you can tighten the strap up. This is to allow you to move the filter around to help fit the screw on hose on the back of the filter easier.

Hopefully that all makes sense.

Originally posted Here. Post any questions there.

Last edited by CTCNetwork; Sep 14th, 2020 at 11:51.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post: