Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V Power Unleaded. Is it worthy?

Views : 1762

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2021, 14:20   #1
SmartMAC

Default V Power Unleaded. Is it worthy?

Coming from a couple of Diesel cars, I have used V Power Diesel whenever possible and noticed the benefits (running smoother and less tractor like). Price difference wasn't that much either.

Having a "thirsty" petrol car now after being spoiled with the economy of a diesel for years and with the price of unleaded V power significantly higher, I was wondering what are the benefits on Super Unleaded on a petrol engine in terms of longevity and tear and wear, specially on "highly stressed" cars like the T6 with 315bhp from a 2L engine.
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 16:12   #2
Fursty Ferret

Try it?

There's no difference between cheap and expensive diesel other than the placebo effect and possibly a tiny bit more detergent which will benefit ancient French engines.

The energy density between the two is the same (in fact, in V-Power diesel it's actually slightly less), so you won't get more power. You may (possibly maybe) get slightly more torque from the higher cetane rating igniting and burning faster but it's academic and at the expense of increased particulate emissions. So if the car has to burn off the DPF more often then this will offset any fuel saving.

Last edited by Fursty Ferret; Feb 28th, 2021 at 16:17.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 17:39   #3
Polestar Pete
Polestar

Mac has moved to a petrol car now, so I assume is asking about petrol V Power and not diesel.

XC60 T8 R Design Pro
Polestar Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Polestar Pete For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 18:13   #4
skippyfox
VOC Member

I would not have thought a factory fit T6, at 315bhp to be a "highly stressed" engine... Well within design parameters. Re-map and take it to daft bhp figures then you could be stressing the engine. Personally I think V Power fuel is a waste of money. Day to day driving, Bog standard petrol/diesel is good enough.
skippyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 18:14   #5
amadan

I run my Polestar Engineered V60 on “super” exclusively. TBH it’s a “drop in the ocean” compared to the car, maybe it’s a placebo or not but I’ve found that I get very slightly better fuel economy on previous cars.
amadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 18:54   #6
sk546
Master Member

I'm sure Volvo recommend running at least 98ron petrol in the T8 engine, as the T6 is the same engine minus the Hydrid stuff, I'd be surprised if they don't recommend using the same in that too.
I only ever run my XC60 Polestar Engineered on either Tesco Momentum or Shell V-Power (less so V-Power at the moment as its price seems to be really high compared to other Premium petrol for no real reason).
Both fuels are 99ron and have decent additives & cleaners over standard 95ron petrol meaning injector and other fuel system components will remain in better condition for longer.
I havent done a standard fuel to Premium fuel back to back comparison in the XC60 so cant really say what difference there would be performance & economy wise but in my previous cars that I have done comparisons, there definitely have been noticeable differences.
With the T6 & T8 being small capacity engine utilising multiple methods of forced induction (both a supercharger and Turbocharger), it should react much better to higher octane fuel than more conventional petrol engines.

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sk546 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 19:14   #7
SmartMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk546 View Post
I'm sure Volvo recommend running at least 98ron petrol in the T8 engine, as the T6 is the same engine minus the Hydrid stuff, I'd be surprised if they don't recommend using the same in that too.
I only ever run my XC60 Polestar Engineered on either Tesco Momentum or Shell V-Power (less so V-Power at the moment as its price seems to be really high compared to other Premium petrol for no real reason).
Both fuels are 99ron and have decent additives & cleaners over standard 95ron petrol meaning injector and other fuel system components will remain in better condition for longer.
I havent done a standard fuel to Premium fuel back to back comparison in the XC60 so cant really say what difference there would be performance & economy wise but in my previous cars that I have done comparisons, there definitely have been noticeable differences.
With the T6 & T8 being small capacity engine utilising multiple methods of forced induction (both a supercharger and Turbocharger), it should react much better to higher octane fuel than more conventional petrol engines.
Thanks. My last petrol car was a Brabus Smart Car (I have been using smartMAC as a user name since ) and I did notice a slight improvement in economy but hard to tell.
My issue was the expense of V Power in spain which is 30% more expensive than regular unleaded.
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 19:53   #8
amadan

Thankfully round here the price difference (according to petrol prices) is 7p/litre at the local Sainsbury’s.

This is what my manual says

OCTANE
RON 95 can be used for normal driving.
RON 98 is recommended for good power and low fuel consumption.
An octane rating lower than RON 95 must not be used.

It also says E5 and E10 are permitted and the following,
Only use petrol from well-known producers. Never use fuel of dubious quality. The petrol must fulfil the EN 228 standard.
amadan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to amadan For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 19:56   #9
gaby
Premier Member

This is what the UK owners manual for the MY2018 XC90 says:

Octane rating
95 RON can be used for normal driving.
98 RON is recommended for optimum
performance and minimum fuel consumption.
When driving in temperatures above +38 °C, fuel
with the highest octane rating is recommended
for optimum performance and fuel economy.
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 20:12   #10
SmartMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
This is what the UK owners manual for the MY2018 XC90 says:

Octane rating
95 RON can be used for normal driving.
98 RON is recommended for optimum
performance and minimum fuel consumption.
When driving in temperatures above +38 °C, fuel
with the highest octane rating is recommended
for optimum performance and fuel economy.
Never thought to read the manual. Douhhhh!!!
Mine says exactly the same as yours. It makes sense I supposed. Just need to find cheaper 98-99 Unleaded I can use. From a reputable place