Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 785736

Replies : 6127

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 15th, 2021, 14:30   #561
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
... I had noticed that one as well Dave, selling a 240 because of the ULEZ but replacing it with a Scimitar - bunkum!
Too many things smell fishy on this one Alan!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2021, 09:13   #562
Othen
Premier Member

Default ... and another fishy tale...

Quote:
... our rusty old friend has reappeared again, this time for £1,400 or offers:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240...gAAOSw~LlgV5Hr

... at this rate it should be down to a sensible price before the school summer hols :-)
... our rusty old friend attracted a single bid (of £1,400), then the ad disappeared close to the end of the auction only to be re-listed the same day (same ad, no bids). I rather suspect the seller is dabbling in shill bidding again.

Old Apr 16th, 2021, 11:47   #563
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
... our rusty old friend attracted a single bid (of £1,400), then the ad disappeared close to the end of the auction only to be re-listed the same day (same ad, no bids). I rather suspect the seller is dabbling in shill bidding again.

You'd think he would have got a clue by now it's not going to sell at that price!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Apr 17th, 2021, 07:19   #564
Othen
Premier Member

Default Nice car

This is a nice car I saw for sale, it ought to make at least £2,500:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240...53.m1438.l2649

... and a bit nicer than this one, which has started to rust in the usual places:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240....c100010.m2109

... it will be interesting to see whether this one gets any bids over £2,500 (starting price) as a comparison.

The difference is the first car will not qualify as an historic vehicle for 5 more years, whereas the second will in two years. This might be a good test of my theory that the (nearly) historic vehicle factor is a pretty strong one and outweighs many others (like the actual condition of the car and its history).

Last edited by Othen; Apr 17th, 2021 at 07:33.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2021, 09:57   #565
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The Green-Blue one is in very nice condition and the bidding is already around the £2k1 point. The silver one, although scruffier has age on its side as far as becoming historic. Six years to wait for the first one, two years on the second to be historic (although both cars will be nearly 41 by that point) but i doubt the green-blue one will deteriorate to the point the silver one is in that time.

One of those that is hard to predict because of the disparity in general condition.

Old Apr 17th, 2021, 10:03   #566
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

The silver one's a better spec - GLE as against GL - with alloys and a sun-roof plus an O/D box and the "Coffin-nose" but it needs rustremoval from doors and wings.

But the blue one's tidier, though the auto-box isn't my cup of tea. And the blue one allegedly has A/C though there's no sign of it on the heater control panel!

On balance the blue one is the better buy, IMO.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2021, 19:41   #567
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The Green-Blue one is in very nice condition and the bidding is already around the £2k1 point. The silver one, although scruffier has age on its side as far as becoming historic. Six years to wait for the first one, two years on the second to be historic (although both cars will be nearly 41 by that point) but i doubt the green-blue one will deteriorate to the point the silver one is in that time.

One of those that is hard to predict because of the disparity in general condition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
The silver one's a better spec - GLE as against GL - with alloys and a sun-roof plus an O/D box and the "Coffin-nose" but it needs rustremoval from doors and wings.

But the blue one's tidier, though the auto-box isn't my cup of tea. And the blue one allegedly has A/C though there's no sign of it on the heater control panel!

On balance the blue one is the better buy, IMO.
I'd prefer the blue one (auto, and generally nicer) but If I was in the market and everything else (price and distance) were equal I'd go for the silver car, it being much closer to becoming an historic vehicle.

It will be interesting to see how the buying public votes with its cash between these two.

:-)
Old Apr 17th, 2021, 22:14   #568
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I'd prefer the blue one (auto, and generally nicer) but If I was in the market and everything else (price and distance) were equal I'd go for the silver car, it being much closer to becoming an historic vehicle.

It will be interesting to see how the buying public votes with its cash between these two.

The Blue-Green one is definitely the more complete car but the silver one is the more technologically advanced (without having a flock of computers to run it) and powerful. To some, that may appeal more than one that looks immaculate, we'll have to see on the hammer price of both!

Old Apr 18th, 2021, 08:18   #569
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Here are a couple more non-sellers I've noticed as part of my school project. The first one failed to sell...

...The second one has appeared maybe 4 times already (on eBay), I can't remember the original asking price but the seller says he/she is making a final reduction to only £4150:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353447641339?ul_noapp=true

... to me it just seems like another 30 year old banger with nearly 200,000 miles. The seller makes a point about the motor car having a new MoT (as at 20 Feb 21), but only 4 days earlier it failed the test with these major problems:

H549VYG
VOLVO 240
17 February 2021
FAIL
Mileage 184,757 miles

Do not drive until repaired (dangerous defects):
Nearside Rear Brake pad(s) less than 1.5 mm thick (1.1.13 (a) (ii))
Repair immediately (major defects):
Offside Rear Inner Integral body structure or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of a body mounting sill (6.2.2 (d) (i))
Nearside Rear Inner Integral body structure or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of a body mounting (6.2.2 (d) (i))
Nearside Rear Inner Integral body structure or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of a body mounting wheel arch (6.2.2 (d) (i))
Exhaust emits clearly visible black smoke during acceleration (8.2.1.2 (g))
Exhaust carbon monoxide content at idle exceeds default limits (8.2.1.2 (b))
Offside Front Suspension arm ball joint dust cover no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (5.3.4 (b) (ii))
Offside Front Wheel bearing has excessive play (5.1.3 (a) (i))

... so the seller would have us believe he/she got all the welding required completed and the reason for emitting black smoke on acceleration sorted in just 4 days - maybe... maybe not.

So, you may remember the the thesis for my school project was: 'many sellers of Volvo 240s think their motor cars are worth much more than they really are, however this does not apply to historic vehicles'. The estate car above supports my theory in that if it were to be a 1980 or older car is fairly good order (with a MoT and not too many problems) it would make £3,500 easily. The second car (silver saloon car) is (in my humble opinion, because I don't believe the MoT issues were addressed in 4 days) worth £1,500.

I do hope I'm not offending any forum members with my school project - it is just some idle fun, but if anyone objects I'll stop it.

Alan
... our old friend with the broken fuel gauge has re-appeared again, this time the 'absolutely final' reduction to £4,150 has been reduced to s starting price of £1,500 and a more reasonable buy-it-now ticket of £3,500:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/classic-c...sAAOSw5-lgUcjy

... I still think it s a £2,500 car... and that would be in line with the blue and silver cars we discussed above (I don't think this one is worth as much as either of those cars).

This car should at least get a few bids at £1,500, it will be interesting to see how close to the buy-it-now price it gets (my guess is £2,500).

It is disappointing that so many of these advertised cars keep re-appearing, which rather confirms my theory that many sellers think their cars are worth far more than they really are.

Bob walking time :-)

PS. This was my own guide to 240 prices, cut and pasted from this thread a few weeks ag, and modified a bit after that:

As a guide I'd say (from what I've seen things apparently sell for - not ridiculous asking prices):

a. Rough cars (anything with barn find in the title, cars needing welding to the sills or rear arches, MoT failures): make less than £1000.

b. Middling cars: 1981 and later cars with 100-200,000 miles, a bit of history (maybe the past decade, the stuff before that is just for interest), a long MoT and no obvious welding or repairs needed: make £1,500 to £3,000.

c. Very good cars: 1981 and later cars with less than 100,000 miles, full history, long MoT and in really good condition make £3,000 to £4,500.

d. Historic cars (1980 and older) will generally make 50-100% more than the above categories.

The above is just my observation of the market, it will not stop people hawking around rough cars for £3,000, mediocre cars for £6,000 or very good cars for silly money. I don't think they often achieve their asking prices and just spend months or years on the market until the owners give up.

Last edited by Othen; Apr 18th, 2021 at 09:27.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2021, 07:26   #570
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

An update: the silver car received no bids at the opening price of £2,500 (which somewhat surprised me, I thought it was worth that much).

The blue car is storming away with the auction at £3,500 already.

... that rather proves me wrong!