Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DICE/VIDA - ECM Not Responding

Views : 1176

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 16th, 2021, 01:30   #1
b1mcp

Default DICE/VIDA - ECM Not Responding

Hi All

I had a CEL on our 2001 V70 T5. I’ve sorted it now (replaced MAF) but that’s not what the thread is about.

To try and diagnose I connected the car to DICE/VIDA. The problem I had was failure to communicate with ECM (not responding). I was not able to retrieve ECM codes or clear them. All other modules were connected and I could interact with them.

Strangely though, other systems I have (Torque Pro on my phone with an ELM327 adapter, and generic Delphi DS150E on Laptop) could both connect to the ECM – read codes, clear codes and display live data.

So, you would conclude a faulty DICE or VIDA install? Well, I have 2 DICE units and 2 laptops with VIDA installed and both behave the same. Both work perfectly on our XC60 and both are interacting with all modules on the V70 except the ECM.

Not really sure where to start in trying to resolve this, so any experience of similar issues or even any wild ideas would be appreciated.
Old Apr 16th, 2021, 12:21   #2
100K+
Premier Member

Default Wond'ring aloud

Thinking of your problem I'd think the issue is with your Dice/Vida setup. Reasons:-
You have 2 for want of better names generic readers that can read your car. These readers I'd suggest are impossible to change/alter unless you drop them etc.
If you accept this is true the issue is with car or your Dice/Vida setups...but your car can be read by the two generic readers, without issue.
So..
1) Is your Vida/Dice setup the same on both computers ie do you use the same software and plug the same Dice into your 2 computers? If its different your 2 V/D setups are truely independent. If not what effects one is also able to affect the other..That make sense??
2) Are your computers only used as DICE readers, and not ever connected to the internet. Some 10 years ago I bought VIDA/dice 2011C from China. All was well for almost 4 years, but some windows update fouled things up and I lost the "battery / battery logo and voltage " and the word "connected" from the top RH of the second or third opening page. Like you, everything else appeared to work, but I never trusted the laptop or dice unit again ( I had Greyed out boxes instead.) I never resolved it so bought a cheap Win 7 lappy off ebay and a new Vida/Dice from Si Robb. The laptop has never been on the web and never will, updates are switched off...

Next plan?? - can you borrow a Win 7 laptop or XP if you VIDA/DICE is old enough and see if you can install your VIDA on it.

Of the 3 possible causes of problem I think the laptop/software is the more likely suspect.

Good luck

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2021, 12:41   #3
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

it's definitely odd that it would communicate with some modules and not others, to me that makes it seem the install and hardware is fine

im not any sort of expert in any way at all ... but total shot in the dark I would probably try disconnecting the car battery for an hour or so and trying again later to see if it's just a random glitch. worst than can happen is nothing at all lol

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2021, 01:05   #4
b1mcp

Thanks for your replies Bob and Stuart.

I did disconnect the battery for a while today, but didn’t seem to change anything.

I think I agree with Bob’s logic and the issue is likely to be in the software config.

I decided that I needed to do some structured testing to get a baseline of what was actually happening with each permutation of DICE and Laptop. I was hoping to get a set of consistent results that would give me some direction. I spent a couple of hours this evening trying that but did not get consistent results.

I did get DICE 1 and Laptop A to work properly twice, but then it reverted to ECM not responding. Additionally, DICE 2 and Laptop B failed twice but then worked.

I have confirmed that both laptops have exactly the same build of windows (Win 10 1909) and same level of updates applied (May 2020). I’ve also confirmed the DICE firmware is same on both.

What did happen (and I don’t know how/why ) is that DICE 1 is now DICE-000000 rather than DICE-206751 which it was before. So, when in VIDA I need to select the right DICE unit. I didn’t need to do that before.

Bottom line is I have no idea what’s going on, but I think Bob is right that it is a software config issue.

The laptops I use are same model and are multi-boot with 4 partitions on each (so almost like 8 different laptops). It’s not a problem to trash a partition and rebuild it with fresh VIDA install or even Windows install. So I think I will do that next on one of the laptops and see where I get to.

I’ll update again when I’ve done that.

(BTW, after the DICE renamed itself I now have the same issue that Bob described with the Battery Voltage greyed out and a “Not Connected” on the top right in VIDA – but only with DICE 1, with DICE 2 it's fine )
Old Apr 17th, 2021, 01:14   #5
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Im using a VCX, so not sure how this compares with DICE but I dont really pay much attention to the 'connected' sign, it seems to just go back and forth while im connected and bears no real relation to whether the software is working or not.

Funnily enough I was using it this evening and exactly that was happening. connected / not connected / connected.. etc all the while I'm watching the live data totally uninterrupted

I don't know how DICE works but VCX i can uninstall and reinstall the device drivers leaving VIDA intact. if you have a similar option that might be worth a try?

also.. windows 10 may 2020? there's been some major updates since then although i'm not sure if that would benefit or hinder your install

mini project - link
Old Apr 17th, 2021, 01:55   #6
b1mcp

Hi Stuart

Yes agreed, the Connected/Disconnected does not seem to impact on functionality but the concern is why is it different between 2 units that should be the same (they're obviously not).

Good point about the drivers. I will try that before full VIDA and/or Windows install.

I think probably older builds of windows will be better. I'm thinking I will regress versions rather than going for latest. I may even go back to Win 7 .
Old Apr 18th, 2021, 12:04   #7
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1mcp View Post
Hi Stuart

Yes agreed, the Connected/Disconnected does not seem to impact on functionality but the concern is why is it different between 2 units that should be the same (they're obviously not).

Good point about the drivers. I will try that before full VIDA and/or Windows install.

I think probably older builds of windows will be better. I'm thinking I will regress versions rather than going for latest. I may even go back to Win 7 .
Think you have got your answer :
Both your computers are multi functional/web connected. VIDA/DICE HATES this.
I'd try a clean WIN 7 pro (64bit not 32 bit if possible and must be pro .. I had issues with my 32 bit install and had to re-programme part of the files. right PIA )
and prevent windows updating.

Back in the day of XP and even Win7 there were issues about some "microsoft " background running programmes.
I think they were Microsoft.NET framework files, and there were various revisions which when downloaded by updates caused havoc with some Vida/dice setups.
My dedicated Win 7 system only has Framework4.7, no other, athough does have various SQL Server files, but only 2008 revisions.

I believe your issue is within the windows software you are using. I had issues with my original VIDA/DICE, when I tried to just delete my older version of VIDA and reinstall 2014D. It was not until I did a FULLY TOTALLY CLEAN install of Win 7 pro and then a clean install of 2014D that I got the programme to work. Once working I disabled to WIFI/auto update.

Good luck
Cheers
Bob
Old Apr 18th, 2021, 12:14   #8
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

I'm using the windows 10 version if that helps anyone but it seems to be geared up for VCX and I couldn't comment on how you would make the old dice units work with it

Just posting because some might find it useful when reading this later down the line
https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...i3cpHBdsZa/pub

I had a minor issue with the VCX bits being blocked as malware but after releasing them and adding an exception they work fine

mini project - link
Old Apr 18th, 2021, 12:15   #9
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1mcp View Post

I have confirmed that both laptops have exactly the same build of windows (Win 10 1909) and same level of updates applied (May 2020). I’ve also confirmed the DICE firmware is same on both.

The laptops I use are same model and are multi-boot with 4 partitions on each (so almost like 8 different laptops). It’s not a problem to trash a partition and rebuild it with fresh VIDA install or even Windows install. So I think I will do that next on one of the laptops and see where I get to.

I’ll update again when I’ve done that.

(BTW, after the DICE renamed itself I now have the same issue that Bob described with the Battery Voltage greyed out and a “Not Connected” on the top right in VIDA – but only with DICE 1, with DICE 2 it's fine )
You are trying to do too much with your laptops and somewhere down the road things are getting muddled.
IIRC VIDA/DICE 2014D was a Win7 operating system programme, and WIN10 gave it FORWARD compatible issues ( which obviously people got to work) but more people I think have problems with WIN10 systems than WIN 7. But your win 10 system is 4 different computers which Win 10 can do, but I think Vida is having a hissy fit with.
Its very fine lines we are talking about, but sometimes they are the straw etc etc.

Cheers
Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 18th, 2021, 13:06   #10
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

I did try and find a laptop with windows 7 in the loft but they were either really old and frustratingly slow, batteries old and next to useless, hard drives were knackered etc etc . Hence they got replaced.. I tried virtual machine on windows 10 and had a modicum of success but kept disconnecting and not really sure why..

I was even prepared to buy a win7 laptop just for vida but the OS is beyond serviceable life now so you're looking at ebay / gumtree.. one person online saying 'it works' is always to be taken with a pinch of salt.

I guess I'm just lucky in that my windows 10 one just works but it is online, fully updated and often used for other things like CAD and gaming and so on

Fwiw the laptop is win10 home , desktop is pro, both 64bit and works on both

mini project - link